Excel 2016: Formulas

Quentin Christensen

There was a period where the "Allow editing in cells" setting was very important, but that should have been fixed long ago (and even when it was problematic, it simply wouldn't read the formula, it didn't hang or crash).

Have you got any add-ons installed?  If you press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart with add-ons disabled" does it make a difference?

Could you get me a copy of your NVDA log to have a look at please, ideally at debug level?
Please send it attached to an email to info@....  Include a description of what you have done and what isn't working as it should (so I know what it's about in case I don't get to investigate today).

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 1:50 AM Louis Maher <ljmaher03@...> wrote:
Hello Pele,

Is it possible to use Office 365 for $99 a year?

I do not have any further information.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher03@...

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pele West
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 3:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel 2016: Formulas

Hi Louise

Thank you for suggesting unchecking the "allow editing directly in cells". Unfortunately, it is already unchecked.

Is there anything I can trying changing in NVDA?

Pele

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Louis Maher

Hello Pele,

Is it possible to use Office 365 for $99 a year?

I do not have any further information.

Regards
Louis Maher
E-mail ljmaher03@outlook.com

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pele West
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 3:30 AM

Hi Louise

Thank you for suggesting unchecking the "allow editing directly in cells". Unfortunately, it is already unchecked.

Pele

Pele West

Hi Louise

Pele

Louis Maher

In editing Excel cells, sometime it is necessary to make the following configuration change.

You can try unchecking the box which says “allow editing directly in cells”.  In Excel 365, do this:

Open an Excel spreadsheet. 

Type alt + f. Up arrow to options, hit enter. Down arrow to advanced. Tab until you find the box which says “allow editing directly in cells. Uncheck that

box. Shift + Tab until you reach OK. Hit enter.

Regards

Louis Maher

E-mail ljmaher03@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan COHN via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2021 11:47 AM

F2 brings you to the formula bar. This does have something to do with the auto complete, but I haven't edited formulas in Excel in a couple years, so I don't remember exactly why there are issues. Using arrow keys, I believe jumps you to the excel table to select a cell or group s of cells to add to the formula. 

Jonathan COHN

F2 brings you to the formula bar. This does have something to do with the auto complete, but I haven't edited formulas in Excel in a couple years, so I don't remember exactly why there are issues. Using arrow keys, I believe jumps you to the excel table to select a cell or group s of cells to add to the formula. 

Pele West

Hi Brian

I have only tried typing a formula in the cell. This is how I have done
it for the last 20 years and it has worked until now.

What is the best way to get to the formula bar?

Thanks

Pele

Just curious if you're entering the formula in the cell or the forumula box once the cell is selected, or have perhaps tried both?

NVDA is not hanging for me, but, it had might as well be.  Whether in the cell itself, or the formula box, if I type the equal sign then start typing the word, sum, I'll get an announcement for equal sign but then everything goes silent.  I don't have letter by letter announcement as I type turned on, but even after the formula is complete (or even partially complete) and I hit space I'd expect what's there to be read, but it's not.

In the formula bar itself the behavior is the same when initially entering the formula, but if you revisit a cell later, and throw focus to the formula bar afterward, the formula is read correctly.

Also, if I start entering equal sign and have typed the S and U of sum, and begin down arrowing through the dropdown list of summation functions, these are not announced.  I always get equals su (the letters I've typed, rather than the thing in the dropdown that has focus).

I'm using Excel 2016 and 2020.beta4.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Pele West

Hello Everyone

I am using Windows 10 20H2, NVDA 2020.4 Beta2. I have just installed
MSOffice 2016. Until yesterday I used MSOffice 2010.

I am having problems writing Excel formulas. Before I could press the
equal sign = and type the formula. Now, when I press = I can type the
first letter of the formula and NVDA hangs. I can type the formula in
with no speech and press Enter and then go back and edit it, but this is
not very satisfactory.

I have my keyboard set to speak each character as I type.

I don't know if this is a problem with the latest Beta version of NVDA
or Excel 2016 as it is a while since I used formulas.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

By the way, thank you everyone who helped with my VBA 2010 editor
problem, where I could not scroll through code properly. MSOffice 2016
has solved this problem.

Thanks

Pele West