NVDA Is Very Sluggish in Thunderbird

Rich DeSteno

I am using NVDA Version 2020.3 on a Windows 10 computer.  I use Thunderbird Version 78, which I believe is the current version. Recently, NVDA has become very sluggish in Thunderbird.  Reaction to key strokes often takes up to several seconds.  This makes it very difficult to read or write emails.  What could be the problem here?  Nothing has changed with my system.

--
Rich De Steno

Mary Otten

Hi Rich,

My experience with NVDA and T-bird is that there is sluggishness when I forrst open t-bird, while it is doing its thing of fetching mail and catching up with what I've done with email on my phone, which has my email as well. Once t-bird is done with its housekeeping, then NVDA acts perfectly fine with no sluggishness. In other words, I do not experience sluggishness except when I first open the app after the pc has beel asleep for a while and I've been doing email stuff on my phone. Keeping your trash emptied helps.

Mary

On 1/16/2021 9:47 AM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I am using NVDA Version 2020.3 on a Windows 10 computer.  I use Thunderbird Version 78, which I believe is the current version. Recently, NVDA has become very sluggish in Thunderbird.  Reaction to key strokes often takes up to several seconds.  This makes it very difficult to read or write emails.  What could be the problem here?  Nothing has changed with my system.

Gene

I don't know what the problem may be. for now, write e-mails in Notepad and paste them into a message you have begun.

While I don't have a solution, try Thunderbird portable. That will allow you to keep your current installed version and test to see if the problem is Thunderbird or NVDA.

You can download Thunderbird portable here:
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable
If yu have problems finding the download link, ask here. You don't need to download anything but the actual portable program.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 11:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Is Very Sluggish in Thunderbird

I am using NVDA Version 2020.3 on a Windows 10 computer. I use
Thunderbird Version 78, which I believe is the current version.
Recently, NVDA has become very sluggish in Thunderbird. Reaction to key
strokes often takes up to several seconds. This makes it very difficult
to read or write emails. What could be the problem here? Nothing has
changed with my system.

--
Rich De Steno

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Mary,

When I first open t-bird, it's slow in getting new messages butonce that's done, it works perfectly with NVDA.

Rosemarie

On 1/16/2021 9:50 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi Rich,

My experience with NVDA and T-bird is that there is sluggishness when I forrst open t-bird, while it is doing its thing of fetching mail and catching up with what I've done with email on my phone, which has my email as well. Once t-bird is done with its housekeeping, then NVDA acts perfectly fine with no sluggishness. In other words, I do not experience sluggishness except when I first open the app after the pc has beel asleep for a while and I've been doing email stuff on my phone. Keeping your trash emptied helps.

Mary

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Rich,

I had the problem of sluggishness but when I unchecked the status bar, that solved the problem. It's slow at first when I open it but once all the messages are downloaded, it works perfectly with     NVDA.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  Give Thunderbird a chance to download all your emails. Everything about Thunderbird gets sluggish while mail is being downloaded, hence NVDA's slow response.  Also, while you are writing mail, it continually copies your message to draft.  These are Thunderbird specific ptasks and not I think, anything to do with NVDA.  We sometimes have to differentiate between NVDA's sluggishness from those caused by  the programs it is supposed to interpret.  NVDA can only respond as smoothly as applications will allow it.  If, However NVDA gets sluggish while you are not actively engaging your system, then the fault lies with NVDA itself, since anything that can go wrong during installation will go wrong.  Cheers!.

On 17/1/2021 1:47 am, Rich DeSteno wrote:

Kevin Cussick

I have posted this more than once but it has been a while, it may or may not fix but will not do any harm.

General sluggishness with Thunderbird. I have a feeling, though,
that this is a Thunderbird issue and nothing to do with NVDA.
Try disabling Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Enable Global Search and
Indexer. Note that this isn't accessibility or screen reader specific,
but I personally found that global search didn't help me and was a
performance killer.

On 16/01/2021 18:57, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Mary,
When I first open t-bird, it's slow in getting new messages butonce that's done, it works perfectly with NVDA.
Rosemarie
On 1/16/2021 9:50 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi Rich,

Mary

I am using NVDA Version 2020.3 on a Windows 10 computer.  I use Thunderbird Version 78, which I believe is the current version. Recently, NVDA has become very sluggish in Thunderbird.  Reaction to key strokes often takes up to several seconds.  This makes it very difficult to read or write emails.  What could be the problem here? Nothing has changed with my system.