jump to next occurrence of a word in explorer documents

mcLeod stinnett

--
from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

Jackie

Use f3 instead.

On 1/16/21, mcLeod stinnett <macks75205@gmail.com> wrote:

--
from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments
offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows
explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the
next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read
the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue
reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

It isn't always the same in every text editor or word processor. Usually, the following will work. It does in Notepad.
Use control f to open find.
Type what you are searching for and press enter.
Then press escape. You have closed the search dialog and You are now on the first occurrence of what you are searching for. If nothing is found you will receive an error message which you can close by pressing escape twice. You are actually closing the escape message and then closing the search dialog.
To search for repeated occurrences, simply press f3. You will move to the next occurrence. You don't have to press escape after using f3.

To summarize, control f, Type the search and press enter.
Press escape.
To repeat the search, press f3. Don't press escape. You are on the word if it is found, or you will get an error message you can close with escape.

from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

Monte Single

Thanks Gene,

That's the vest description I've heard for this activity.

from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments
offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows
explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the
next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read
the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue
reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

F3 has been the "Find next occurrence" function under Windows in virtually every program almost since the very beginning.  I use it constantly.

A variant on that theme is even used in screen reader finds, where "screen reader key" plus F3 does a screen reader find next.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Monte Single

Cheers, MonteHow do I do this in m s word 2016?

from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments
offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows
explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the
next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read
the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue
reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

Gene

To find the first occurrence, do the same as in Notepad. To find repeated occurrences, use control end. I would think control home would move back to the previous occurrence but I may never have tried that.

Cheers, MonteHow do I do this in m s word 2016?

from mack often I take articles along with their subsequent comments
offline and put them in notepad. I save the article and read it in windows
explorer, documents. the only problem is I don't know how to jump to the
next occurrence of a word like comments, to get to the next post. if I read
the article on the page, I press insert f3 and press down arrow to continue
reading. how to do this in documents, thanks.

benmoxey@...

Hi Monti

Use Control + Page Down to take you to the next result, and Control + Page Up to take you to the previous. Note that the result is automatically selected when you navigate with this method.

If you have not performed a document search in Word, the Control + Page Up and Control + Page Down shortcuts move to the previous and next page by default.

If you have performed a document search and want the Control + Page Up and Control + Page Down shortcuts to navigate by page again, simply press Control + G to load the Go To dialog box. It will be set to page automatically. Enter a desired page number if you like or just press Enter. Then, simply escape the dialog box and return to the document.

Cheers

Ben