From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] searching in Thunderbird email app

How do you search for emails in TB? I have tried many times but I can never figure out how to look at a list of the resulting emails. I am assuming it is something special I have to do using NVDA but I could be very wrong about this.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Well, I have been using the search field that is on the screen.  I hadn't tried using the ctrl+f keystroke.  When I use the search field then try to tab to the list I get the full list of emails not the search results.

I will try the ctrl+f keystroke and see if that behaves differently.

Dan Beaver

On 1/18/2021 1:16 PM, Gene wrote:
How are you searching?  If you are using control shift f to open search and searching in that way, once you have done the search and the search is finished, tab twice to the list.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Well, it does act differently but it still gives me the whole email list and not just the results list.  I am obviously doing something wrong.  I guess I'll just go back to doing my searches via the GMail web interface.

Thanks Gene,

Dan Beaver

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

How do you search for emails in TB?  I have tried many times but I can never figure out how to look at a list of the resulting emails.   I am assuming it is something special I have to do using NVDA but I could be very wrong about this.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

When you open search, the defaultis to search subject. You can tab to a combo box where you change what field will be searched in. Tab further to an edit field where you type what you want to search for, then press enter.

I haven't played with search enough to see how to search more than one field at once. I would think you can, but I don't know how it is done. I suspect you are working in the wrong fields.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

How do you search for emails in TB? I have tried many times but I can never figure out how to look at a list of the resulting emails. I am assuming it is something special I have to do using NVDA but I could be very wrong about this.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

I can, and will, get into this on the Chat Subgroup if you open a new topic there and, as part of that, describe what you want to be seeing after you do a search (in general terms).

I suspect that you're wanting a list of messages just like you'd have in your inbox, but limited to those that match the search.  In which case, you'd need to activate the Show results as list control on the initial results page.  You may also wish to switch the sort by from relevance (default) to date before doing so, if you're interested in date sorted message order.

That's all I'll say here, as none of this is directly related to NVDA but to Thunderbird.

       ~ Brian Vogel