Accessible Video Editor

Christian Ohrens

Hello,

Just want to refresh a thread of 2019 which I found in the group’s archive.

Are there any suggestions for accessible video editors?

Has anybody tried for example „vegas“ which is now developed by Magix Software? „Sound Forge“ is very accessible, maybe „Vegas“ would it be too?

Or the more professional programs like „Davinci“ or „Premiere“?

„Sound Forge“ is also able to edit video but I’m not quite sure if I would ‚destroy‘ the video itself when I’m gonna cut things off. If you want to edit the sound of the video it’s great.

Greets and thanks

Christian

---

Christian Ohrens

Freier Journalist, Videoblogger, DJ, Gästeführer

Am Stühm-Süd 23, 22175 Hamburg

+49 - (0) - 40 - 59 35 51 59 (Tel.)

+49 - (0) - 171 - 938 92 52 (Mob.)

E-Mail: mail@...

Web: https://christian-ohrens.de/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CO1984--

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

*bump*
I asked a similar question here a couple months ago and think it warrants further conversation. It seems an increasing number of us blind folks are interested in starting YouTube channels and doing other things with video video, so hopefully we learn about some good options.
I am also a home recording enthusiast and use a program called reaper to record and mix audio tracks. Reaper is fully accessible once you install a couple of free community created plug-ins. Reaper does provide the most basic of basic video editing. Pretty much just trimming, splitting, sliding things around on the timeline. No effects or transitions or anything else like that. If that’s all you need though, it’s 100% accessible and might be a good option.

On Jan 22, 2021, at 7:24 AM, Christian Ohrens <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I haven't used Reaper before so don't know much about this program, even it's for free or payed.
But what I read about was that Reaper's video editing function is rather slow, isn't it?

Greetings
Christian

Am 22.01.2021 20:22 schrieb Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

No, I edit videos in reaper all the time. I can do it as quickly as I can a sound file. Just don't glue the items together, or the video will be black.

On 22 Jan 2021, at 11:37, Christian Ohrens wrote:

[...]

Hi Christian,
You can try reaper for free and it costs $60 if you want to keep it. Considering most digital audio workstation programs cost several hundred dollars, it’s a great deal. As another person here said, there’s nothing slow about the video editing, unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by that. You can work with video in much the same way you work with audio, with a few caveats, as has been noted. If you end up trying Reaper and need some help, I would be happy to work with you because I have a couple years of experience with it.

On Jan 22, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Christian Ohrens <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Sarah,

you wrote:

Ø  Just don't glue the items together, or the video will be black

OK thx, but how do I combine for example two videos as one without having a black screen at the end?

Greetings

Christian

[...]

Hi  Luke,

Sounds great, maybe we find the time next week that you could introduce me a little bit into video editing with Reaper?

Do I need something else to proceed? I’ve got Reaper and the Osara plugin a friend recommented to me.

[...]

you will add them as two items. YOU can actually snap to, or modify the crossings etc. then render. it works well. It's pretty easy. There is a list and discord where such things can be discussed. Look on groups.io for the reaper list. Or look in this group's archives as I'm sure it is given there.

On 22 Jan 2021, at 14:10, Christian Ohrens wrote:

Hey Sarah,

you wrote:

[...]

Debbie April Yuille

What do you mean by gluing the videos together? Can’t you merge them?

Debbie

[...]

glue is reaper's merge. It is a nondistructive glue. but just put the items on one track, move them as necessary, I blend mine together so that there is no audible gap then render as mp4. It's almost as if I'm splicing tape, Yes, i did say tape!

On 22 Jan 2021, at 22:03, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

[...]

Hi Sarah,
Any idea why gluing video clips in reaper results in the image blacking out and if there’s a way to avoid this while still being able to glue? Personally I like having things in one big chunk when possible rather than multiple separate pieces. If that isn’t possible, can you explain in a little more detail the technique you described of positioning clips such that there are no visual gaps in playback? For example, if I navigate to the end of one clip and then paste another one, can I be assured sighted folks won’t see any artifacts from this? Thanks!

[...]

they might see gaps but what you need to do is nudge the video left or right a bit. use your ears even though it might not be a perfect merge it will still work. It will still render as one item when you do render so long as you choose track. Also don't mute e the audio or the video will turn black so I've been told. I forgot the kkey strokes but look in the actions dialogue. You would be best to ask all of this on the reaper list or the reaper discord.

Take care

On 25 Jan 2021, at 14:16, Luke Robinett wrote:

[...]

William

Hi,

for those visually disabled like me would like to do some kind of video editing, like trimming and joining video,

please consider learning about moviepy, a python video and video editing library.

Doing stuff like this through code,we donot have to deal with all those inaccessible or problematic gui issues.

Provided I have very very basic understanding of python, I just learn about moviepy last night, and I can already trim and join video using just few lines of codes.

Luke Robinett 於 26/1/2021 6:16 寫道:

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 07:33 PM, William wrote:
Doing stuff like this through code,we donot have to deal with all those inaccessible or problematic gui issues.
-
One of the great tragedies of the rise of the GUIs was the virtual disappearance of understanding and use of command line interfaces (or certain interpreted code interfaces) by a large number of computer users.

There are really times when a CLI is vastly superior to a GUI for doing certain things.  And they're generally as close to 100% accessible as you can get.

I commend you for mentioning one of these options, as what you say is true whether one has sight or does not.

       ~ Brian Vogel

AKH AKH

Hi Luke and Brian

Sounds very useful. How do I loearn the code for basic trimming of video, please?

Keen to learn.

Andrew

On 10/02/2021 00:38, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 07:33 PM, William wrote:

Doing stuff like this through code,we donot have to deal with all those
inaccessible or problematic gui issues.
-
One of the great tragedies of the rise of the GUIs was the virtual disappearance of understanding and use of command line interfaces (or certain interpreted code interfaces) by a large number of computer users.

There are really times when a CLI is vastly superior to a GUI for doing certain things.  And they're generally as close to 100% accessible as you can get.

I commend you for mentioning one of these options, as what you say is true whether one has sight or does not.

~ Brian Vogel

William

Hi,

I think you have two options.

1. download the ffmpeg and run the codes in cmd window.

you can learn all those codes from ffmpeg official site.

2. download python, learn python basic and download moviepy

moviepy do provide a not very comprehensive document on the web.

AKH AKH 於 10/2/2021 17:54 寫道:

[...]

Hi William

Thanks. So does that mean I have to write code each time I want to mark the start and end of a video clip I want to cut and paste?

Andrew

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:04 AM, AKH AKH wrote:
So does that mean I have to write code each time I want to mark the start and end of a video clip I want to cut and paste?
-
That really depends on what you mean by "write code."

You will almost certainly have to create the correct command to handle the clips you want to tweak, specifying how you want them handled.  That's what you're doing in a GUI with all the various buttons and commands.  The difference is, you are specifying these details as arguments to the editor from the command line rather than using a screen reader to interact with a GUI.

       ~ Brian Vogel

AKH AKH

Hi Brian

I was just concerned that I'd have to input several commands in to the commandline, each time I wanted to select a clip and cut. Presumably, I can set up a shortcut key to input the appropriate set of arguments? I'll go away now and start learning Python.

Thanks

Andrew

in to

On 10/02/2021 15:40, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:04 AM, AKH AKH wrote:

So does that mean I have to write code each time I want to mark the start
and end of a video clip I want to cut and paste?
-
That really depends on what you mean by "write code."

You will almost certainly have to create the correct command to handle the clips you want to tweak, specifying how you want them handled.  That's what you're doing in a GUI with all the various buttons and commands.  The difference is, you are specifying these details as arguments to the editor from the command line rather than using a screen reader to interact with a GUI.

~ Brian Vogel

Andrew,

           I know nothing about moviepy or ffmpeg, specifically.  The observations I've made are general truisms.

           Very often I've seen people set up plain text files with "skeleton commands" where they copy and paste those over and over and over again, tweaking the bits that need to be tweaked.  If you do a lot of scripting, and repetitive scripting, no matter how you automate or semi-automate the process you're definitely not going to want to be typing everything out by hand every time.  You'll likely have to edit the template material after pasting it in, but once you're familiar with the various commands, their arguments, etc., that's quite easy.  It's the learning curve for any new piece of software, whether accessed via the command line or GUI, that's the hard part.

       ~ Brian Vogel