From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Blind allday
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 4:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Screen Review Mode

Hello guys,

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Blind allday

Well, I thought that screen review mode meant that a page allowed you to activate certain shortcuts that a page had.

For example, on YouTube you can press “K”  for it to pause and play.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:49 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Can you tell us what you know about screen review? That way we can help you fill in the gap.

Cheers,

Joseph

On 2021-01-22 7:45 p.m., Blind allday wrote:

Hello guys,

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Chris Smart

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Blind allday

I have read the user guide but it was a very brief overview of the Screen Review Mode.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Gene

I don't know what you mean by over thinking. Do you know the commands? I can discuss the desktop layout but I don't use or know the laptop layout commands. Have you used the JAWS cursor? Screen review is very similar except that the movement commands are different.

On 2021-01-22 7:45 p.m., Blind allday wrote:

Hello guys,

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me to where I can learn more about it.

Gene

When you are  in screen review mode, you can move around the screen and not change your place where you are working, for example, in a word processor, you can move around and not change the position of the cursor where you are working.  Also, if you are somewhere where you can't move around using Windows commands such as up and down arrow, you can look at what is on the screen in review mode.  If an error message ccomes up, you can move around it using screen review.

Don't forget to always return to object navigation mode as soon ase you are finished working in review mode.  If you don't, you may get unexpected results.

Gene

On 1/23/2021 1:14 AM, Blind allday wrote:

I have read the user guide but it was a very brief overview of the Screen Review Mode.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Sarah k Alawami

Oh I know it's not, I know how to use it very well, I liken it to mac os. I just choose not to use it and use scren review on the new programs where necessary. You can hear me doing this a lot here. Just look for any video and fast forward to where I'm using tramp.

On 22 Jan 2021, at 22:31, Chris Smart wrote:

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Chris Smart

Tramp? LOL

Biting my tongue over here LOL

On 2021-01-23 2:01 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Oh I know it's not, I know how to use it very well, I liken it to mac os. I just choose not to use it and use scren review on the new programs where necessary. You can hear me doing this a lot here. Just look for any video and fast forward to where I'm using tramp.

On 22 Jan 2021, at 22:31, Chris Smart wrote:

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me  to where I can learn more about it.

Gene

It may be that if you only use the ways of moving and reading the current line that don't involve object navigation that you won't get unexpected results. But if you use commands like numpad 8, read current line of current object, etc. you will get unexpected results unless you change to object review. I don't know how many people use these commands but I find them much more convenient. I would far rather use numpad 8 to check a current line than NVDA key up arrow. Numpad 8 is a one hand command. And when I close a message in the e-mail programs I use, delete a message and am now on the next one in the list, I use numpad 8 to read the headers without a lot of extraneous speech. That is much more convenient than using NVDA key up arrow to read the current line that way. So perhaps I should alter what I say when I discuss this.

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me to where I can learn more about it.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually in my case I don't need to go into object mode. I just use screen review, get to where i want, then use object left, right, read the current one, copy to the clipboard if I need to and, it's done. In fact most of the time if I use current line, I can read the current object or objects depending on the layout of the screen.

-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami

I think I am overthinking NVDA’s Screen Review Mode. Can someone explain it to me? Or point me to where I can learn more about it.

Brian Sackrider

    I useto use a program called cq 100 it is asimulated hfham radio program.  I would use screen review mode to read the call signs of who was talking I was not able to access this information with out using screen review.  I only wanted to read this information not to interact with it.  I would read the call sign their location and some information about their station.  I no longer have the program but thanks to screen review I was able toknowwho was talking if they identified or not.   The program had all of themajor hf bands and cost 39 dollars per year.

73

n8mnx

Brian Sackrider