Help with NVDA and Google Classroom

ely.r@...

Morning All,

I have a middle school student whos school uses Google Classroom for all email and sharing of information. So, time for me to gain skills. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for doing this that does not involve changing to Google’s screen reader. If not I would love any suggestions from folks who use elements of Google’s suite of programs.

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

John Isige

I'm not sure if we can help you. Google says:

"After you sign in and set up your screen reader, you can get details on
all features in the Classroom Help Center."

About screen readers, it says:

"You can access Classroom using a screen reader with any modern browser,
such as Chrome, Mozilla® Firefox®, Microsoft® Internet Explorer®, or
Apple® Safari®. See your browser instructions on how to set it up. For
example, you can use ChromeVox with your Chromebook. On Macs, you can
use VoiceOver, the built-in screen reader."

That's for the web, here's what it says about mobile devices, in case
anybody's using those, e.g. iOS, Android.

"Android
The Classroom mobile app works with TalkBack, a pre-installed screen
reader which uses spoken feedback for interaction. For details, see Turn
on TalkBack.
iOS®
The Classroom mobile app works with VoiceOver on iOS®. For details, see
the accessibility settings for your device."

So it sounds like you just log into Google Classroom, and all the
accessibility help for using a screen reader is in there. All of this
stuff about "once you get it set up" doesn't mean special instructions
to set up a screen reader for Google Classroom, I think it just means
getting your screen reader installed or activated on your mobile device
or whatever, then you either go to the Classroom website and login and
all, or set up the app if you're on a phone. Then once you're in, you go
to their help center and they'll tell you about keyboard shortcuts or
whatever they've got.

On 1/11/2018 10:40, ely.r@comcast.net wrote:
Help with NVDA and Google Classroom

Morning All,

I have a middle school student who’s schooluses Google Classroom for
all email and sharing of information. So, time for me to gain skills.
Does anyoneknow of a good tutorial for doing this that does
notinvolvechanging to Google’s screen reader.If not I would love any
suggestions from folks who use elements ofGoogle’ssuite of programs.

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Iván Novegil

Hello.

I’ve used Google classroom as  student for around two years without problems. The web interface is mostly accesible, although you need to turn on the focus mode in certain dialogs to access some sections or to enhance the experience. Same for the iOS app: it is in certain things less accessible/usable/complete than the web interface, but can be used with VoiceOver without special difficulties.
Note that classroom have certain of its aspects, specially those that involve file sharing,  integrated with GoogleDrive, so probably the user will need also GDrive knowledge.

regards.
Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es
- www.NVDA.es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter información privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo por esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***

El 11 ene 2018, a las 17:40, ely.r@... escribió:

Morning All,

I have a middle school student whos school uses Google Classroom for all email and sharing of information. So, time for me to gain skills. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for doing this that does not involve changing to Google’s screen reader. If not I would love any suggestions from folks who use elements of Google’s suite of programs.

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

ely.r@...

Iván

Thanks for this. I started working with the suite this past week and found it easier than I had anticipated. Several years ago, I was at a AER conference and sitting with a very talented fellow blind user while she worked to check its screen reader accessibility. As she said, with three different screen readers used at different time, she could get about and do what she needed. That scared me enough to avoid it. Just goes to show that diving in to dark water is not always as dangerous as you think. Guessing too that Google and readers have shown some improvement.

Best,

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

[...]

FYI you can toggle focus mode in NVDA with NVDA-space. Also, you might
use single letter navigation toggle, NVDA-shift-space. See the user
guide, Chap. 6. Some of the single letter commands can be really helpful
depending on the specific website, e.g. navigating by separators might
work better for some sites than headings.

On 1/13/2018 11:39, ely.r@comcast.net wrote:
[...]

ivan.novegil@nvda.es <mailto:ivan.novegil@nvda.es>

Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es
- www.NVDA.es <http://www.NVDA.es>