Long-standing Basic Edge/NVDA Issue

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I am using Windows 10 with the last stable version of NVDA, and I have been having the following issue for several months now. When on a web page, if I want to confirm that it is maximized with “alt+space”, and close the system menu with “escape”, NVDA won’t read the page. I know that it has crashed because it won’t read either when I return to the desk top. NVDA will crash even if I only have 1 Edge window open. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janet

Gene

I have seen little or no difference in reading web pages whether browsers are maximized or not.  In addition, the browsers I've used will remember if you have maximized them and will remain maximized when you open it again.  In short, if others have this problem, it may be something worth addressing, but as a practical matter, the problem shouldn't matter if you maximize the browser and assume it remains maximized. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 6:51 PM
Subject: [nvda] Long-standing Basic Edge/NVDA Issue

Hello all,

I am using Windows 10 with the last stable version of NVDA, and I have been having the following issue for several months now. When on a web page, if I want to confirm that it is maximized with “alt+space”, and close the system menu with “escape”, NVDA won’t read the page. I know that it has crashed because it won’t read either when I return to the desk top. NVDA will crash even if I only have 1 Edge window open. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janet

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Which edge are you using is it the old one or the new one? If it is the old one I would replace it with the new one from Microsoft.

Just tried bringing up the menu to maximize etc there is no problems on any of the tabs I try it on.

usually when you bring up the menu you mentioned you locate the one you want then press the enter key on it. So then is it when you press the escape key to close that menu then edge dies?

I thought when I first looked it was more to do with closing tabs. I did bring up that menu you mentioned did not pick one then chose close then the program shut as in edge.

Gene nz

On 28/01/2021 1:51 pm, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Quentin Christensen

I just tried opening the system menu in Edge then either restoring, maximizing (with x or arrowing and enter) and escaping, and it worked fine when I closed the menu when I was using NVDA 2020.4beta4.  It did crash, as you describe when using NVDA 2020.3.  We have made some improvements in 2020.4, so I'd recommend trying NVDA 2020.4 beta 4: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-4beta4/  Do please let us know if the issue is fixed or continues with that version.

Kind regards

Quentin..

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 1:10 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

Which edge are you using is it the old one or the new one? If it is the old one I would replace it with the new one from Microsoft.

Just tried bringing up the menu to maximize etc there is no problems on any of the tabs I try it on.

usually when you bring up the menu you mentioned you locate the one you want then press the enter key on it. So then is it when you press the escape key to close that menu then edge dies?

I thought when I first looked it was more to do with closing tabs. I did bring up that menu you mentioned did not pick one then chose close then the program shut as in edge.

Gene nz

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Janet Brandly

Hi Gene,

NVDA dies when I go into the menu to maximize a page and exit with escape. To be honest, I’m not sure which version of Edge I’m using. How would I find that out?

Thanks,

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: January 27, 2021 7:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Long-standing Basic Edge/NVDA Issue

Hi

Gene nz

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Sarah k Alawami

If you hit alt f and do not get the menu, you are using the old edge. If you do get the menu, you are using the new edge.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 9:27 AM

Hi Gene,

NVDA dies when I go into the menu to maximize a page and exit with escape. To be honest, I’m not sure which version of Edge I’m using. How would I find that out?

Thanks,

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Gene nz

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Gene

Do the following if you are using the newer Chrome-based version. I can't discuss the old version. I didn't use it.

Hold alt and type f to open the menu.
Up arrow to help and feedback and press enter.
You are now in a submenu.
Down arrow to about and press enter.
A web page will open. Down arrow to the version number.
Below the version number you will see information such as that this browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and that is one way you will know that you have the new version.

I don't know why you have the problem you have. Try a different screen-reader. Once you maximize the program, it should stay maximized and you shouldn't have to keep checking.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 11:27 AM

Hi Gene,

Thanks,

Janet

Hi

Gene nz

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Pranav Lal

Hi Janet,

Is this on your work machine by any chance?

Pranav

Sarah is correct that the "quick and dirty" test for whether you have a Chromium-based Edge is seeing if ALT+F opens the Edge Menu.

In "Edge Original" ALT+X opened the Edge Menu.

You would have to be running a very old (and out of support) version of Windows 10, or be working on a machine where it's been intentionally engineered not to apply Windows Updates, to still have Edge Original.

I would be curious what version of Windows 10 is being used, which can be determined by hitting the Windows Key and immediately typing winver then hitting enter. 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

the following link to the download page  is where you can get the new Microsoft Edge. it can be found and downloaded from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium-0f4a3dd7-55df-60f5-739f-00010dba52cf

It is the preferred one to use now to the old one.

Gene nz

On 31/01/2021 5:11 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Sarah is correct that the "quick and dirty" test for whether you have a Chromium-based Edge is seeing if ALT+F opens the Edge Menu.

In "Edge Original" ALT+X opened the Edge Menu.

You would have to be running a very old (and out of support) version of Windows 10, or be working on a machine where it's been intentionally engineered not to apply Windows Updates, to still have Edge Original.

I would be curious what version of Windows 10 is being used, which can be determined by hitting the Windows Key and immediately typing winver then hitting enter. 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel