Slightly OT: mail from this list really piling up. Any strategies?

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Of all the lists I sub to, I get the most from this one and it really piles up quickly in the gmail account I’m using for it. It didn’t appear gmail offers any way to automatically delete old messages. How are folks managing the large volume of messages received from this and other lists? Again, I know this isn’t specifically NVDA related but it is related to my ability to easily use this NVDA list, so there’s some relation, I suppose. J Thanks friends.

Luke,

        From the Groups.io end:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx).  You can stop a lot of stuff from even showing up using the tools Groups.io gives you.  If you were willing to use the web interface, you could go nomail on any group or groups you choose.

         Do you use the web interface for Gmail?  There are ways to select specific messages with search terms and date ranges.

       ~ Brian Vogel

And from the Gmail side, see this page for all the Gmail search operators:  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

Then specifically have a look at the before/after/older/newer operators.  Search the table for Search for messages sent during a certain time period and you're where you need to be.

Then see my tutorial, which doesn't use those specific operators, but covers how to do mass selection in general when more messages are returned by a search than can be selected on a single page of displayed results:  Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface

       ~ Brian Vogel

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Hi Brian,
Thank you for all the useful tips. I mostly access my Gmail accounts using Outlook on my desktop or the iPhone mail app. I’ve found the Gmail website challenging to navigate but that’s probably just due to a lack of practice. I will poke around on there this weekend. I appreciate it.

On Jan 29, 2021, at 3:45 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Luke,

        From the Groups.io end:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx).  You can stop a lot of stuff from even showing up using the tools Groups.io gives you.  If you were willing to use the web interface, you could go nomail on any group or groups you choose.

         Do you use the web interface for Gmail?  There are ways to select specific messages with search terms and date ranges.

       ~ Brian Vogel

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Which email client are you using?

In thunder bird I have it setup so it downloads emails from G mail to thunderbird then it is a lot nicer to use delete out either one or many emails from it.

I do have directions up on my thunder bird page on my website on how to do it and what you have to do. There is a part where it is a little tricky where you have to allow  g mail emails to come to thunder bird I can not remember if that part was spoken out or not.

The link to this page is http://accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

When you get there jump to the section that says about g mail.

Gene nz

On 30/01/2021 12:40 pm, Luke Robinett wrote:

Of all the lists I sub to, I get the most from this one and it really piles up quickly in the gmail account I’m using for it. It didn’t appear gmail offers any way to automatically delete old messages. How are folks managing the large volume of messages received from this and other lists? Again, I know this isn’t specifically NVDA related but it is related to my ability to easily use this NVDA list, so there’s some relation, I suppose. J Thanks friends.

Blaster

Luke, I created a new folder named "NVDA" in G-mail then created a
filter to place all e-mail messages from the NVDA list into that
folder. It really helps to keep the inbox more manageable.

HTH,
Blaster