Error-logging and Reporting

Chris Smart

When the NVDA beta gives that descending C major tritone, should I then be checking a log somewhere, and emailing what I find to NV Access?

Or, does the beta automatically phone home periodically and submit error logs?

Thanks

Chris

Per Quentin Christensen in the topic, NVDA Beta 4 error tone when opening outlook:

Alpha and Beta builds play an error sound whenever an error is written to the log.  RC and stable builds will record exactly the same errors, but don't play a sound.  There are a number of situations where NVDA might record an error, however it then tries something else which works, and so most end users wouldn't notice anything amiss.

If you can reliably reproduce an error in that situation, as Joseph noted, you can find the exact errors in the log, do test if you can reproduce with add-ons disabled, and if so, it's still worth creating an issue on GitHub for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

We'll prioritise issues which have an adverse reaction for users of course, but fixing such an error might still result in a smoother experience.

-----------------------------
The short version is, "Ignore them unless an actual problem in doing what you're doing is experienced."

If you do encounter that sort of problem, and can reliably reproduce it, then consider: Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

       ~ Brian Vogel

Chris Smart

Ok, thanks. Will do.

Oh boy. I love that Github site! (that was sarcasm haha)

Sarah k Alawami

I do love the GitHub site and apps; I use them every single day. In fact, I need to fork some repos over to finish some stuff I started.

Get used to it, as we the people determine what is and is not changed in free ( free speech) software, and GitHub at least for me is the most accessible way to do this. It has changed drastically in a good way over the years I've used it and works quite well with nvda. Henceforth, report those bugs and submit those logs.

Woops? Looks like I'm posting in plane text some how according to outlook. Sorry about that, hope this is still readable.