Error-logging and Reporting

Chris Smart

When the NVDA beta gives that descending C major tritone, should I then be checking a log somewhere, and emailing what I find to NV Access?

Or, does the beta automatically phone home periodically and submit error logs?

Thanks

Chris

Per Quentin Christensen in the topic, NVDA Beta 4 error tone when opening outlook:

Alpha and Beta builds play an error sound whenever an error is written to the log.  RC and stable builds will record exactly the same errors, but don't play a sound.  There are a number of situations where NVDA might record an error, however it then tries something else which works, and so most end users wouldn't notice anything amiss.

If you can reliably reproduce an error in that situation, as Joseph noted, you can find the exact errors in the log, do test if you can reproduce with add-ons disabled, and if so, it's still worth creating an issue on GitHub for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues 

We'll prioritise issues which have an adverse reaction for users of course, but fixing such an error might still result in a smoother experience.

-----------------------------
The short version is, "Ignore them unless an actual problem in doing what you're doing is experienced."

If you do encounter that sort of problem, and can reliably reproduce it, then consider: Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Chris Smart

Ok, thanks. Will do.

Oh boy. I love that Github site! (that was sarcasm haha)

Sarah k Alawami

I do love the GitHub site and apps; I use them every single day. In fact, I need to fork some repos over to finish some stuff I started.

Get used to it, as we the people determine what is and is not changed in free ( free speech) software, and GitHub at least for me is the most accessible way to do this. It has changed drastically in a good way over the years I've used it and works quite well with nvda. Henceforth, report those bugs and submit those logs.

Woops? Looks like I'm posting in plane text some how according to outlook. Sorry about that, hope this is still readable.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Error-logging and Reporting

Ok, thanks. Will do.

Oh boy. I love that Github site! (that was sarcasm haha)

Louise Pfau

Hi.  How much of the log do you need to submit when you encounter an error?  I've just installed 2020.4 beta 4, and received the error tone a couple of times.  I haven't been able to replicate the situations yet though.  I red through the information at the end of the log, and I couldn't make sense of it.

Thanks,

Louise

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 01:37 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
I haven't been able to replicate the situations yet though. 
-
Then there's nothing further to do, at least yet.

I direct you back to an earlier message, by me, in this topic:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/81365 

--

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Quentin Christensen

It's usually easiest to send the whole log - the information from when NVDA started can provide good background information eg about add-ons or startup settings, and the section around the error will hopefully give useful information.

If you're sending it to us (info@...) then we'll keep it confidential unless we agree otherwise (eg if you're happy for us to create a GitHub issue and which information we'll include).  If you are creating an issue yourself and you're not sure if there is any sensitive information in the log, then do feel free to forward to me and I can check for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:37 AM Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> wrote:
Hi.  How much of the log do you need to submit when you encounter an error?  I've just installed 2020.4 beta 4, and received the error tone a couple of times.  I haven't been able to replicate the situations yet though.  I red through the information at the end of the log, and I couldn't make sense of it.

Thanks,

Louise

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Do the release candidates not detect errors, or simply not play the error tone like the betas do?  I haven't heard the error tone since I installed 2020.4 RC1.

Thanks,

Louise

One more time . . .
Per Quentin Christensen in the topic, NVDA Beta 4 error tone when opening outlook:

Alpha and Beta builds play an error sound whenever an error is written to the log.  RC and stable builds will record exactly the same errors, but don't play a sound.  There are a number of situations where NVDA might record an error, however it then tries something else which works, and so most end users wouldn't notice anything amiss.

If you can reliably reproduce an error in that situation, as Joseph noted, you can find the exact errors in the log, do test if you can reproduce with add-ons disabled, and if so, it's still worth creating an issue on GitHub for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues 

We'll prioritise issues which have an adverse reaction for users of course, but fixing such an error might still result in a smoother experience.
--

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

~ Anton Chekhov