Topics

attempting to instal the google hangouts plugin to firefox


 

I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.


Kevin Chao
 

Note:
This seems to be specific to Firefox, as Governor was able to make a Hangouts video call to me using Internet Explorer. The plugin also installs fine with Chrome and Safari. 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.









 

Thanks for that note, as it is something I should have mentioned.




On 3/27/2016 5:09 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Note:
This seems to be specific to Firefox, as Governor was able to make a Hangouts video call to me using Internet Explorer. The plugin also installs fine with Chrome and Safari. 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.










Nimer Jaber
 

Hello,

While I have been able to get hangouts.google.com to work for making a video call, I haven't been able to get any of the shortcut keys to work as are described in https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3112005?rd=1 and I'm not really sure where these shortcuts are supposed to work. They interfere with browser-specific hotkeys. If they are supposed to work in the Hangouts Chrome app, that app doesn't seem to be accessible with NVDA.

On 3/27/2016 4:29 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Thanks for that note, as it is something I should have mentioned.




On 3/27/2016 5:09 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Note:
This seems to be specific to Firefox, as Governor was able to make a Hangouts video call to me using Internet Explorer. The plugin also installs fine with Chrome and Safari. 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.











Kevin Chao
 



On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello,

While I have been able to get hangouts.google.com to work for making a video call, I haven't been able to get any of the shortcut keys to work
Are you in focus mode?
 
as are described in https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3112005?rd=1 and I'm not really sure where these shortcuts are supposed to work. They interfere with browser-specific hotkeys.
Which ones conflict?
 
If they are supposed to work in the Hangouts Chrome app, that app doesn't seem to be accessible with NVDA.
I've use them in Hangouts integrated in GMail.com and hangouts.google.com 


On 3/27/2016 4:29 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Thanks for that note, as it is something I should have mentioned.




On 3/27/2016 5:09 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Note:
This seems to be specific to Firefox, as Governor was able to make a Hangouts video call to me using Internet Explorer. The plugin also installs fine with Chrome and Safari. 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.











Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  Hi 
  I first installed the hangouts software with the fire fox browser closed.  it's called google voice and video setup. 
  I downloaded it and installed it. 
  Next  open fire fox and go to 
 
google hangouts
 
  the address is: 
https://hangouts.google.com/
  this is a page wear one can log in start a voice or video call. 
  I was trying to download the hangouts for desktop application, it apparently does not exist.  got sent to google voice and video setup program when I clicked on it. 
  I need to sign up with google before I can use hangouts. 
  I have the google voice and video program zipped to gvavs.zip and uploaded to send space if any one wants it for fire fox.  The password is google and the link is below:
 
gvavs.zip
 
  Pete 
 


Nimer Jaber
 



On 27-Mar-16 16:59, Kevin Chao wrote:


On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello,

While I have been able to get hangouts.google.com to work for making a video call, I haven't been able to get any of the shortcut keys to work
Are you in focus mode?
Certainly.
 
as are described in https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3112005?rd=1 and I'm not really sure where these shortcuts are supposed to work. They interfere with browser-specific hotkeys.
Which ones conflict?
Please see the prior message, however commands to enable and disable the camera, mute and others that also perform browser-specific functions conflict.
 
If they are supposed to work in the Hangouts Chrome app, that app doesn't seem to be accessible with NVDA.
I've use them in Hangouts integrated in GMail.com and hangouts.google.com
I will do some more testing with this tomorrow assuming as I can find somebody to hang out with, but the commands didn't seem to work here in general, and for sure the browser-specific ones did not. This was when using hangouts.google.com with both Chrome and Firefox.


On 3/27/2016 4:29 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Thanks for that note, as it is something I should have mentioned.




On 3/27/2016 5:09 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Note:
This seems to be specific to Firefox, as Governor was able to make a Hangouts video call to me using Internet Explorer. The plugin also installs fine with Chrome and Safari. 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I"ve tried to do this multiple times. It doesn't seem to work. How do I
know this, you ask? I try to make a video call, and it keeps tkaing me
to the plugin install page. I install it, and it sits there saying it
needs to be verified.


While I"m at it, it appears Webvisum is now disabled. I can't remember
why they say it is. I"m running the latest version of Firefox. Any help,
ideas, or whatever would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.












Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 


Kevin Chao
 

Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 


Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  I could, for what reason? 
  I disabled shockwave flash and adobe plugins because of the lowed flash things that would come up on some pages.  I have google update always activate and google talk and google video ask to activate.  If I can't have access to it I don't want it running or activating. 
  Pete 
 

On 3/29/2016 8:37 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 



Kevin Chao
 

Tip was for those who had difficulty installing plugin

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  I could, for what reason? 
  I disabled shockwave flash and adobe plugins because of the lowed flash things that would come up on some pages.  I have google update always activate and google talk and google video ask to activate.  If I can't have access to it I don't want it running or activating. 
  Pete 
 

On 3/29/2016 8:37 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 



Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  the plugin installed easy, I had difficulty installing the desktop app for hang outs.  there was a link to it and when I clicked on that one it took me to the plugin installer. 
  Apparently google needs some work on there links or titles of links. 
  Do you have the desktop app for google handouts? 
 

On 3/30/2016 7:30 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Tip was for those who had difficulty installing plugin
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  I could, for what reason? 
  I disabled shockwave flash and adobe plugins because of the lowed flash things that would come up on some pages.  I have google update always activate and google talk and google video ask to activate.  If I can't have access to it I don't want it running or activating. 
  Pete 
 

On 3/29/2016 8:37 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 




Kevin Chao
 

I didn't know there was a desktop client. URL, please?


On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:14 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  the plugin installed easy, I had difficulty installing the desktop app for hang outs.  there was a link to it and when I clicked on that one it took me to the plugin installer. 
  Apparently google needs some work on there links or titles of links. 
  Do you have the desktop app for google handouts? 
 

On 3/30/2016 7:30 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Tip was for those who had difficulty installing plugin
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  I could, for what reason? 
  I disabled shockwave flash and adobe plugins because of the lowed flash things that would come up on some pages.  I have google update always activate and google talk and google video ask to activate.  If I can't have access to it I don't want it running or activating. 
  Pete 
 

On 3/29/2016 8:37 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 




Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  It's on google, but the link takes you to the browser plugin page, unless nvda didn't read it properly. 


On 3/31/2016 12:22 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
I didn't know there was a desktop client. URL, please?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:14 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  the plugin installed easy, I had difficulty installing the desktop app for hang outs.  there was a link to it and when I clicked on that one it took me to the plugin installer. 
  Apparently google needs some work on there links or titles of links. 
  Do you have the desktop app for google handouts? 
 

On 3/30/2016 7:30 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Tip was for those who had difficulty installing plugin
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  I could, for what reason? 
  I disabled shockwave flash and adobe plugins because of the lowed flash things that would come up on some pages.  I have google update always activate and google talk and google video ask to activate.  If I can't have access to it I don't want it running or activating. 
  Pete 
 

On 3/29/2016 8:37 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Could you open about:addons then go to the plugins tab, then switch the dropdowns for all the Google plugins to "Always Activate"?
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
 
  Hi  every one 
 
  This might help:
 
10 Tricks To Master Google Hangouts Lifehacker Australia
 
  Pete 
 





 

I do not attempt to use Hangouts with Firefox, only with Chrome, and the desktop app is pretty much an extension to Chrome that keeps running when Chrome has no window open and is running in the background.  This is the direct link to the Google Chrome Desktop App in the Google Chrome Store.  If you click through in any browser other than Chrome you will be notified at the top of the store's webpage, "You will need Google Chrome to install most apps, extensions and themes," and a link is presented to the download for the Chrome browser itself.

All of the add-ons in Firefox (as opposed to extensions in Chrome) related to Hangouts are, as far as I can see, written by third parties.  It's not that I don't use third-party add-ons, because I do, but have not done so for any of the Google services in any browser.

Brian