The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

What follows are the opening lines from my tutorial, Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA, but they need to be stated here because whether or not you as an individual ever intend to try to open a Bug Report in GitHub, you should still perform the following steps of basic NVDA troubleshooting when you suspect NVDA is the problem, and in the order specified:

There are three things you must do so that essential questions in the issue description can be answered:

1.        Restart your computer to see if your issue goes away.

2.       Run the COM Registry Fixing Tool from NVDA’s Tools Menu to see if that fixes your issue.

3.       Restart NVDA with Add-Ons disabled to see if your issue goes away.  If it does, one of the add-ons you use is the culprit.  You can restart NVDA with Add-Ons disabled via the NVDA exit dialog, which gives this as one of the options in the What would you like to do? Dropdown.  If your issue disappears, you will need to determine which Add-On is causing it, and the technique for doing this will be covered in a separate tutorial.

If none of the above three steps eliminated your issue, you now have the answers to those questions asked in the Other Questions section of the issue description and should proceed with creating a Bug Report.
----------
The steps for narrowing down what add-on is misbehaving when you determine one is are contained in the tutorial,
Collecting NVDA Debugging Information to Report to NVAccess

       ~ Brian Vogel

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Is the com registration fixing tool an advanced function, and if so, is it safe to use?  I tend to be careful what I get into with my technology.

Thanks,

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Louise

Yes it is safe to use it basically re registers certain files in windows that Nvda uses to communicate to each other.

The directions are easy to follow .

Usually used if there are problems.

Gene nz

On 5/02/2021 7:44 am, Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  Is the com registration fixing tool an advanced function, and if so, is it safe to use?  I tend to be careful what I get into with my technology.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

Sometimes, certain dll files become unregistered, that is the registry doesn't know about them. This can cause problems such as having unknown read when you move through web pages when you use a number of browsers and web pages not being able to be read. I don't mean that some pages can and some can't. You can't read web pages.

It shouldn't cause problems, running a tool to register files that may have become unregistered. At the same time, if you become familiar with the problems this tool attempts to correct, you may determine that your problem isn't related to the files it reregisters.