NVDA default shortcuts and Google Docs

simon wheatcroft

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with Google Docs moving to next elements. The keyboard shortcut for this is:

Ctrl + Alt + N

This is also the shortcut for turn NVDA on/off. Is there a way to change this default NVDA shortcut? So i can navigate my google docs documents

Many thanks

Simon

Louis Maher

Hello Simon,

Go to your desktop. Select the NVDA shortcut and hit alt + enter to bring up the NVDA properties dialog. Tab a couple of times until you get to the shortcut option. Make it whatever you like. I use control + alt + m.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher03@outlook.com

I am currently having an issue with Google Docs moving to next elements. The keyboard shortcut for this is:

Ctrl + Alt + N

This is also the shortcut for turn NVDA on/off. Is there a way to change this default NVDA shortcut? So i can navigate my google docs documents

Many thanks

Simon

A re-emphasis of the excellent advice offered by Mr. Maher.

The keyboard shortcut that can be created by request of NVDA at install that allows it to be fired up is a Windows keyboard shortcut. That CTRL+ALT+N keyboard shortcut is attached to the desktop shortcut for NVDA itself.  The tweak you're making is actually completely outside NVDA itself, to the Windows keyboard shortcut assigned to the desktop shortcut for NVDA.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

I personally turn that shortcut off. Actually I have no icon on my desktop as it’s just easier for me to type nvda in the run dialogue. That is the brute force way around your situation but that also works.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
it’s just easier for me to type nvda in the run dialogue.
-
Or even just hitting Windows Key and typing whatever it is that you're trying to run (provided the name is "distinctive enough") and hitting enter.

What you do, and what I've described, are frequently used methods that are often more efficient than keeping scads of desktop shortcuts.  It's a matter of personal preference, really.  We each should do what suits us best, and having folks such as yourself, myself, and others mention what they do provides the range of options for consideration by others.

       ~ Brian Vogel

simon wheatcroft

Thanks everyone. All those tips were super useful. Changed it now

Many thanks

Simon

On 4 Feb 2021, at 16:27, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
it’s just easier for me to type nvda in the run dialogue.
-
Or even just hitting Windows Key and typing whatever it is that you're trying to run (provided the name is "distinctive enough") and hitting enter.

What you do, and what I've described, are frequently used methods that are often more efficient than keeping scads of desktop shortcuts.  It's a matter of personal preference, really.  We each should do what suits us best, and having folks such as yourself, myself, and others mention what they do provides the range of options for consideration by others.

       ~ Brian Vogel

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#81549) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics | NVDA Archive Search Page on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate at: http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: http://addons.nvda-project.org/