locked [SOLVED] Heavy problems with nvda_2020.4rc1 and Visual Studio 2019 latest

Yeti

Hello List and Developers, I installed nvda_2020.4rc1
yesterday. After that I couldn't work with VS2019 anymore.
Even switching between editor windows was no longer possible
without switching to another program or restarting NVDA. It
was certainly due to the RC1, as a change back to 2020.3
solved the problem. If someone is interested in the
problem, I'll be happy to reinstall the RC1 and send logs.
gladly Contact via PM or Zoom

Best regards

Yeti

This is clearly an instance where Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA is indicated.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

Another possible solution: have you considered enabling selective UIA event registration? To do so, open NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Advanced, check “I understand” checkbox, then from UI Automation group, select “selective event registration” checkbox and click OK. You MUST restart NVDA for changes to take effect. If it helps somewhat, then at least we know that it might be something from Visual Studio side of things. If it doesn’t, then I advise sending us a log (privately) and/or creating an issue on GitHub.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 8:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Heavy problems with nvda_2020.4rc1 and Visual Studio 2019 latest

This is clearly an instance where Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA is indicated.

--

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Yeti

HI Joseph,

Another possible solution: have you considered enabling
selective UIA event registration?
Not yet, but I'll try this tomorrow.
Is it really necessary to uninstall the RC1 before I go back to the stable Version after this test, as the installer recommends?

Thanks so far

Yeti

Hi,
Nope - you can test this with RC1.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Yeti
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Heavy problems with nvda_2020.4rc1 and Visual Studio 2019 latest

HI Joseph,

Another possible solution: have you considered enabling selective UIA
event registration?
Not yet, but I'll try this tomorrow.
Is it really necessary to uninstall the RC1 before I go back to the stable Version after this test, as the installer recommends?

Thanks so far

Yeti

Yeti

Yes of course
But to work I need the stable version.
So I have to reinstall this after the test.

Do I have to uninstall the RC1 before?

Hi,
If you are planning to install 2020.3, then yes, you need to "uninstall" RC1. Note the word in quotes - you can in fact override RC1 by simply installing 2020.3 and telling NVDA to proceed if it presents a message about installing older version.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Yeti
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 9:53 AM

Yes of course
So I have to reinstall this after the test.

Do I have to uninstall the RC1 before?

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:52 PM, Yeti wrote:
-
The thing being, that if the suggestion works, then the problem is gone.  It's not instability, it's a settings tweak.

Any release candidate will become the released version unless a show stopping bug of some sort is found that must be fixed.  You may have found one, but you may not have, either.

--

~ Brian Vogel

Yeti

Hi Joseph,

have you considered enabling selective UIA event registration?
I just did it and it seams to fix my Problem.

Of course, I won't see what it's really worth until tomorrow, when I really work with it. For the moment, the RC1 seems to run more smoothly with this setting than the stable 2020.3 did.

Many thanks for the quick help.

Ad Astra

Yeti

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  I can confirm Yeti's NVDA 20.4 RC1 with Visual Studio 2019 not working issue.  Cheers!

On 10/2/2021 12:47 am, Yeti wrote:

Best regards

Yeti

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I basically wouldn’t be able to do my job if I couldn’t use visual studio. As it is, there are already a number of long-standing bugs I and others have reported on github that still have not been resolved. Endless back-and-forth but never a resolution. Anyway, that’s another story. Thanks for sharing this.

On Feb 9, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi. I can confirm Yeti's NVDA 20.4 RC1 with Visual Studio 2019 not working issue. Cheers!

Best regards

Yeti

Hi,
Try with selective UIA event registration turned on and see if that makes a difference. This option was specifically designed for performance issues such as those from Visual Studio.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 12:56 PM

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I basically wouldn’t be able to do my job if I couldn’t use visual studio. As it is, there are already a number of long-standing bugs I and others have reported on github that still have not been resolved. Endless back-and-forth but never a resolution. Anyway, that’s another story. Thanks for sharing this.

On Feb 9, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi. I can confirm Yeti's NVDA 20.4 RC1 with Visual Studio 2019 not working issue. Cheers!

Hello List and Developers, I installed nvda_2020.4rc1 yesterday.
After that I couldn't work with VS2019 anymore.
Even switching between editor windows was no longer possible without
switching to another program or restarting NVDA. It was certainly
due to the RC1, as a change back to 2020.3 solved the problem. If
someone is interested in the problem, I'll be happy to reinstall the
RC1 and send logs.

Best regards

Yeti

Consider what follows a strong moderator warning.  There is a reason that the group rules "recommend" reading through an entire topic before replying; it's so everyone is up to speed.

Joseph Lee initially proposed turning on selective UIA event registration at 12:01 PM in message  

The original poster, Yeti, responded, "I just did it and it seems to fix my Problem.," at 1:14 PM, in message  

Yet we have had two messages, one "confirming the problem," which had already been resolved, and another reacting to that message, after the issue was already resolved successfully by the original reporter.

Please, people, do not post additional messages to any topic until and unless you've read through it, in its entirety, FIRST.  Joseph should not have to repeat the same solution because it was either not read or glossed over.  And we're not talking about an instance where those who followed-up were doing so as the solution was being offered.  These happened hours after the initial solution, and acknowledgement of same, were posted.  There's no excuse for this.
--

~ Brian Vogel

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Brian, unbelievably condescending and unnecessary warning. Give people a break – sometimes messages don’t show up for everyone at the same time based on the connection, server lag etc. Maybe try giving people the benefit of the doubt and not throwing your weight around without any good reason. Nobody was harmed because a few messages rolled in after OP already said he solved his issue. Also, you are not blind. It’s easy for you to see all the messages in a thread quickly, I’d imagine. Those of us using screen readers need to go message by message and sometimes we miss things. If this response gets me banned, I guess that tells me a lot about you and the moderators of this site. I never get a single atta-boy for all the times I help folks out (not that I expect that) but the minute I trip over one of the many rules I get reprimanded like a child.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 2:48 PM

Consider what follows a strong moderator warning.  There is a reason that the group rules "recommend" reading through an entire topic before replying; it's so everyone is up to speed.

Joseph Lee initially proposed turning on selective UIA event registration at 12:01 PM in message  

The original poster, Yeti, responded, "I just did it and it seems to fix my Problem.," at 1:14 PM, in message  

Yet we have had two messages, one "confirming the problem," which had already been resolved, and another reacting to that message, after the issue was already resolved successfully by the original reporter.

Please, people, do not post additional messages to any topic until and unless you've read through it, in its entirety, FIRST.  Joseph should not have to repeat the same solution because it was either not read or glossed over.  And we're not talking about an instance where those who followed-up were doing so as the solution was being offered.  These happened hours after the initial solution, and acknowledgement of same, were posted.  There's no excuse for this.
--

~ Brian Vogel

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 07:14 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Brian, unbelievably condescending and unnecessary warning.
-
No, it's not.  And given the frequency with which this occurs (and not only with you, you just happened to be a part of this one) it's crystal clear the people do not bother to read through topics before replying. This isn't a "sometimes" or "every once in a while" there is a pattern, and it's a pattern I intend to actively quash, as it is against the groups stated rules.

This isn't, believe it or not, about you.  But I am not about to avoid giving general warnings when perfect examples of why they're needed have occurred.  This was one of those, and the reaction is entirely warranted.

And with this, this topic is locked, as the issue originally posed has been addressed.  If anyone wishes to discuss this further then the owner address is the correct mechanism.
--

~ Brian Vogel

Yeti

Hi Joseph and All,

have you considered enabling selective UIA event
registration?

I just did it and it seams to fix my Problem.
Of course, I won't see what it's really worth until
tomorrow,
when I really work with it. For the moment, the
RC1 seems to run more smoothly with this setting than the
stable
2020.3 did.
Yesterday I worked with this setting, the RC1 and VS2019 all
day.

I didn't even have to restart the IDE, which used to be
necessary every 1..2..3 hours with the 2020.3.

Thanks again for the hint and NVDA in general.

Ad Astra

Yeti

And by the way:
Locking the original subject was not the best of all
possible options, because this answer belongs there and
nowhere else!