Application key is not functioning properly

silver star siddarth mahajan <siddarthmahajan15@...>

Hello members, this is Siddharth here. Basically, I am not much user of nvda, so I will be not using always. Today I'd  just turned on to do some works using nvda, hence I was running an older version, it asked me to update to the latest one. After downloading and installing latest version, my application key is not functioning that how previously it was. If I hit application key on any folder or file, it's not bringing up any options, if I navigate through arrow keys, it simply stays silent. Unfortunately, the same problem is not happening with jaws or narrator at all. So I think there is something to deal with nvda itself.
Tried doing all the basic operations such un  installing, resetting, But it didn't fix the issue. Hoping to hear  from you all, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It would really help to know exactly what version of Windows and NVDA you are running as well.

The application/context menu key is not driven by NVDA, or other screen readers, but by Windows itself.  It's an even bigger mystery why it would work when NVDA is not running then stop working when it is.

Have you done a restart on your computer?  If not, definitely do one and see what happens afterward.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

Try rebooting and see if the problem disappears. If closing and rerunning NVDA doesn't solve such odd problems, try rebooting. Indeed, rebooting often solves odd problems.

Hello members, this is Siddharth here. Basically, I am not much user of nvda, so I will be not using always. Today I'd just turned on to do some works using nvda, hence I was running an older version, it asked me to update to the latest one. After downloading and installing latest version, my application key is not functioning that how previously it was. If I hit application key on any folder or file, it's not bringing up any options, if I navigate through arrow keys, it simply stays silent. Unfortunately, the same problem is not happening with jaws or narrator at all. So I think there is something to deal with nvda itself.
Tried doing all the basic operations such un installing, resetting, But it didn't fix the issue. Hoping to hear from you all, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gene

I've had it happen where, when I'm running NVDA, the context menu key doesn't work and with JAWS, it does. I have no idea what the problem is but rebooting always solves the problem. Closing and rerunning NVDA doesn't solve it, rebooting does.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:
I have no idea what the problem is but rebooting always solves the problem.
-
Hence the reason this is, "Step One," in virtually any set of troubleshooting lists.

Heaven only knows what confluence of events leads to these really, really weird behaviors.  The use of power cycling/restarting/rebooting has been the standard first thing to try since I've been in the computer business.  And, as you've noted, it very commonly works.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Hmmm interesting you should mention this jean.

I have the unenviable issue of my keyboard hitting keys its not supposed to.

Sometimes double enter, double delete, or something is hit, double letters usually the first or last letter hit.

I have doodled with windows keyboard repeat rate which has helped a lot, and the blink rate but really who knows.

Its not happening with anyone else but on nvda on my amd and maybe other systems it will just do that.

Could be my mechanical is dirty, I havn't cleared it for ages and keep putting it off.

But it happens with other boards to.

99% of the time I catch it, double enters, double folders opening.

The latest windows update had a few things being messed up, bits of some stuff being clobbered on various drives, even without me typing, opening during a notification and a lot of folders and actions randomly executing, etc.

I was able to doodle with settings for keyboard, and refresh my firmware and it appears to be back to how it was before.

Who knows why things are screwing up.

I just pulled a language update to my language pack and things havn't screwed up much at least not as much as before.

So who knows.

At least its not a september 2019, that really sucked.

As long as the system continues to continue like it is now then I can continue to use it, really don't have time for a full reload to fix a stupid input device issue and that won't be for at least the next 2 months so lets hope it solves itself.

It seems ok in any case.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 9:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

It would really help to know exactly what version of Windows and NVDA you are running as well.

The application/context menu key is not driven by NVDA, or other screen readers, but by Windows itself.  It's an even bigger mystery why it would work when NVDA is not running then stop working when it is.

Have you done a restart on your computer?  If not, definitely do one and see what happens afterward.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

This may require a reboot. Failing that, you may also want to list some of the add-ons you have, if any, as one of them may be at conflict with the mentioned key.

silver star siddarth mahajan <siddarthmahajan15@...>

hi, thanks for the reply, as i'd mentioned, I've did all the things, and finally posted a question here.

silver star siddarth mahajan <siddarthmahajan15@...>

hey, thanks for the reply, i'm running win10 20h2 with NVDA 20.3, trying everything what i know in my limited knowledge to solve this problem.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 9:17 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
It would really help to know exactly what version of Windows and NVDA you are running as well.

The application/context menu key is not driven by NVDA, or other screen readers, but by Windows itself.  It's an even bigger mystery why it would work when NVDA is not running then stop working when it is.

Have you done a restart on your computer?  If not, definitely do one and see what happens afterward.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Luke Davis

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021, silver star siddarth mahajan wrote:

hey, thanks for the reply, i'm running win10 20h2 with NVDA 20.3, trying everything what i know in my limited knowledge to solve this problem.
Have you tried running the Com Reg Fix Tool in the NVDA tools menu? NVDA+n, t, r, enter, enter, deal with the UAC window, then enter again.

Also, have you made any changes to the NVDA gesture map recently? It may be remotely possible, if so, that you accidentally did something to change the way NVDA deals with the applications key. Although I don't know for sure if that is technically possible.

Last thing: I didn't notice if you tried running NVDA without add-ons?

Luke