Kryterion, Imbedded objects ... what are they and how can I work with one?

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

AS some of you may know, I am trying to use Kryterion’s testing platform with NVDA. I will provide more details later; but for now, I am having an issue which I hope someone can help me with.

Part of the test involves transcribing from oral dictation, and part involves comparing and editing generated text from a dictation. One has to use a player to control the dictation … play, pause, etc. This player is apparently contained in what, when I navigate to it with the arrow keys, is described as an imbedded object. Kryterion’s documentation states that this player is only able to be operated with the mouse. Would someone out there be able to explain what this is and how I might work with these controls? I know NVDA does provide some mouse access from the keyboard and numpad, but I have not had to do this before and, I don’t know whether this would even work in this case. If someone is willing to contact me privately, I could provide my login details so you could have a look at it. If someone decides to do this, you would need to first install a “lock-down browser”. I had to get sighted assistance with this. I’m not a “power user” so it might be possible to install this without sighted assistance, I don’t know.

Thank you for reading and for any input you can provide.

Janet

Janet,

           What, if I may ask, is a "lockdown browser"?

            Your question is definitely NVDA related, and I commend you for the amount of detail you've offered.  I've never heard of a "lockdown browser" so have no idea what it would entail as far as installing it.

             You're definitely right that this is something that cannot really be handled as an abstract discussion.  By the way, are you using a laptop or a desktop computer?

       ~ Brian Vogel

Janet Brandly

Hi Brian,

Thank you for getting back to me so fast! A “lock-down browser” is a browser which locks down everything else on the computer other than a specific program, in this case the Kryterion platform. It prevents the user from accessing other software such as email or a web browser. This test is a “closed book” test, so accessing outside sources is not permitted. I am using a laptop computer with a regular keyboard.

           What, if I may ask, is a "lockdown browser"?

            Your question is definitely NVDA related, and I commend you for the amount of detail you've offered.  I've never heard of a "lockdown browser" so have no idea what it would entail as far as installing it.

             You're definitely right that this is something that cannot really be handled as an abstract discussion.  By the way, are you using a laptop or a desktop computer?

       ~ Brian Vogel

Janet,

            OK, but now I (or any other potential assistant) need more specifics.  What program are we talking about (as in the lockdown browser), and where would it be obtained?  A testing environment that mirrors your own would need to be established to do the testing with NVDA, and this is a part of helping us get there.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Janet Brandly

Hi again Brian,

The browser is called Sentinel and has been developed specifically by Kryterion. I don’t know all the technical details, but I did find a pretty comprehensive PDF which I can send as an attachment. I also have some sort of set-up file which I can also try to send. What email address should I use?

Thank you. When I get a job, NVDA will get a big donation!

Janet

            OK, but now I (or any other potential assistant) need more specifics.  What program are we talking about (as in the lockdown browser), and where would it be obtained?  A testing environment that mirrors your own would need to be established to do the testing with NVDA, and this is a part of helping us get there.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Janet,

            You can use the "Reply to Sender" link at the bottom of this message to send a private reply to my email address.  And if, by some chance, that doesn't work, my email address is britechguy at the email provided by Google dot com.

       ~ Brian Vogel