Changing from JAWS 2018 to NVDA, some general questions

Christian Ohrens

Hi folks,

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Sky Mundell

Hello. Reaper does work with NVDA as does Sound Forge. Sampletude however will not work with NVDA. With Sampletude, you still need to use JAWS.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Sky Mundell

And to answer your other question, NVDA does have two review cursers. One is called object navigation, where you navigate via object, and another is called screen review which acts just like the JAWS curser.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Ali Savas

Hi Christian,

there is nothing like the JAWS cursor in NVDA, but you can navigate
through the windows using the object cursor. With Numpad-0+4 or -6 you
can navigate between the objects. With Numpad-0+2 or 8 you can change
the hierarchy.

Additionally there is the screen viewer (Numpad-0+7). Once activated,
you can navigate line by line with numpad-4 and numpad-6. You can switch
back to object navigation by pressing Numpad-0+1.

Many greetings
Ali

Sky Mundell

And also with Reaper, to make it work with NVDA you need the Ostara plugin.

Hello. Reaper does work with NVDA as does Sound Forge. Sampletude however will not work with NVDA. With Sampletude, you still need to use JAWS.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Hi,
In fact, JAWS touch cursor is really object navigation.
Cheers,
Joseph

there is nothing like the JAWS cursor in NVDA, but you can navigate through the windows using the object cursor. With Numpad-0+4 or -6 you can navigate between the objects. With Numpad-0+2 or 8 you can change the hierarchy.

Additionally there is the screen viewer (Numpad-0+7). Once activated, you can navigate line by line with numpad-4 and numpad-6. You can switch back to object navigation by pressing Numpad-0+1.

Many greetings
Ali

Chris Smart

It's called Osara.

Please see

www.reaperaccessibility.com

for more information.

and for info on the Jaws scripts for Magix Samplitude, go to:

http://samplitudeaccess.org.uk/

On 2021-02-12 4:47 p.m., Sky Mundell wrote:

And also with Reaper, to make it work with NVDA you need the Ostara plugin.

Hello. Reaper does work with NVDA as does Sound Forge. Sampletude however will not work with NVDA. With Sampletude, you still need to use JAWS.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Gene

Further, object navigation is described as the equivalent of the Touch cursor in sme conversations I've seen on the NVDA users list. But even though I think it can do the same or about the same things, I believe the interface is considerably different. Its something I think that is best learned by mostly examples, having someone do something rather than by a lot of description. Let us know when you want to learn it in a hands on way and I'll write something. Perhaps others will too. There is a web page for people learning NVDA who know JAWS. I haven't looked at it to any extent, but people say it is helpful.

And to answer your other question, NVDA does have two review cursers. One is called object navigation, where you navigate via object, and another is called screen review which acts just like the JAWS curser.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Gene

Can't you do the equivalent with object navigation, that is, work with touch apps, even though the interface is different? That is my understanding. I don't know if you can do everything, but people use touch applications and I think that sometimes or perhaps often, object navigation is used.

there is nothing like the JAWS cursor in NVDA, but you can navigate
through the windows using the object cursor. With Numpad-0+4 or -6 you
can navigate between the objects. With Numpad-0+2 or 8 you can change
the hierarchy.

Additionally there is the screen viewer (Numpad-0+7). Once activated,
you can navigate line by line with numpad-4 and numpad-6. You can switch
back to object navigation by pressing Numpad-0+1.

Many greetings
Ali

Janet Brandly

Hi Christian,

Welcome aboard! I don’t know about the addons you need, but if you read through the users’ guide it should answer your other questions. I have never used JAWS; I used Window-Eyes before NVDA. From what I’ve heard from people using JAWS, you won’t find better support than what you’ll find here.

Good luck,

Janet

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

hurrikennyandopo ...

-----Original Message----- From: Sky Mundell
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

And to answer your other question, NVDA does have two review cursers. One is called object navigation, where you navigate via object, and another is called screen review which acts just like the JAWS curser.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

Steve Nutt

You mean the OSARA plugin.

http://www.reaperaccessibility.com will get you started.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

And also with Reaper, to make it work with NVDA you need the Ostara plugin.

Hello. Reaper does work with NVDA as does Sound Forge. Sampletude however will not work with NVDA. With Sampletude, you still need to use JAWS.

I’m thinking about to replace my older JAWS to the newest NVDA build on my new computer which I’ll get next week.

For JAWS I am using several Script packages for some programs and now I want to know if there exists such addons or scripts for NVDA ttoo for the following programs:

Samplitude X5, Sound Forge Pro 14, Reaper.

And I’ve also some general questions concerrnning the handling of NVDA:

Are there some functions similar to the touch cursor or JAWS cursor in JAWS?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Christian

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 01:04 AM, Gene wrote:
It's [object navigation] something I think that is best learned by mostly examples, having someone do something rather than by a lot of description.
-
Something upon which we're in complete agreement.

I actually think this is true of all things screen reader related for first-time users of a screen reader.  Descriptions of what to do and what happens are so much less effective than hands-on experience with trying something and seeing what happens, or doesn't happen.

The welcome message for the group includes the following, "Like all screen readers, it is a tool for accessing something else, and really serves no other purpose.  Its function as an accessibility tool is, of course, its reason for being."  It's impossible to discuss a screen reader and its functions meaningfully without direct reference to what you're actually trying to access with it, as that's the only way that screen reader commands come into use.  It's just so much easier to apply to real world examples of things being accessed.

But we have also discussed, and I believe agreed, that it's also important that one develop the habit of knowing in one's own mind what's a Windows command, versus an NVDA command (or other screen reader command), and an application program command.  That definitely makes things easier if and when you start working with another screen reader, as neither Windows or application program commands change regardless of the screen reader in use.

      ~ Anton Chekhov