Attachments

Peter Beasley

I think it would be nice if NVDA could say has attachment before anything else when going through e-mails like Window-eyes does. .

n8mnx@att.net

    Nvda does say has attachments in thunderbird but youhave to be reading from the list of messages and not from inside of a message if your and you delete a message and the next message has an attachment you won't hear it unless you go back out of the message and go back to the list of messages hope thats helps.
Brian Sackrider

On 3/31/2016 6:52 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I think it would be nice if NVDA could say has attachment before anything else when going through e-mails like Window-eyes does. .

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

Doesn't it depend on the mail client ? In thunderbird, here, it does just that, because the attachment field is first.
Or am I misunderstanding something ?

-- Patrick.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 07:04 am, Patrick Le Baudour <p.lebaudour@...> wrote:
it does just that, because the attachment field is first.

Same here in Windows Live Mail 2012.  Though the attachment field isn't first, it's before the From and Subject and I virtually never have any message arrive marked important (the actual first field).  It's also interesting to note that in WLM 2012 you only see the fields laid out that way in one-line message view and that attachments will not even be shown on messages that have them until/unless the sender is on your safe sender's list.  A test message I just sent to my testing account from one of my own e-mail accounts didn't show that it had an attachment because I'd never added myself to the safe sender's list prior to doing the test.  Once I did, the "has attachment" field then populated in the message list.

Brian

NVDA, from my memory, did say 'has attachment' in Thunderbird.

Roger Stewart

NVDA has always said "Has Attachment" right away if I land on an email that has one but I always use Thunderbird. Don't know what email you are using, but that may be why you're not getting this notification.

Roger

On 3/31/2016 8:52 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I think it would be nice if NVDA could say has attachment before anything else when going through e-mails like Window-eyes does. .

Peter Beasley

The notification is there but I would like to hear has attachment before anything else.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Attachments

NVDA has always said "Has Attachment" right away if I land on an email that has one but I always use Thunderbird. Don't know what email you are using, but that may be why you're not getting this notification.

Roger

On 3/31/2016 8:52 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I think it would be nice if NVDA could say has attachment before anything else when going through e-mails like Window-eyes does. .

Gene

You might be able to do this by changing the order in which fields are displayed.  However, as I said a few days ago, this cannot be done from the keyboard.  It is not accessible.  You have to either have a sighted person do it or you have to use your screen-reader's virtual mouse to perform such actions.  I've almost never done it and I'll leave the description of how to do it to others.

The notification is there but I would like to hear has attachment before anything else.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:35 PM

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 10:43 am, Peter Beasley <pjbeasley23@...> wrote:
The notification is there but I would like to hear has attachment before anything else.

Gene is correct that this is a function of the ordering of presentation of the attribute columns in your e-mail client.  You would have to specify the e-mail client (along with version) before I or anyone else could experiment with switching the column order using the screen reader.

I've got Outlook 2010, Windows Live Mail 2012, and the Win10 Mail App on my machine using a "junk" e-mail account so that I can work through stuff step-by-step when necessary.  If we're talking about a web interface like Gmail then the issue becomes more complicated to impossible, depending on whether the interface allows the customization to move the attachment attribute column to where it would be read first.

Brian

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:08 am, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
You might be able to do this by changing the order in which fields are displayed.  However, as I said a few days ago, this cannot be done from the keyboard.  It is not accessible.  You have to either have a sighted person do it or you have to use your screen-reader's virtual mouse to perform such actions.  I've almost never done it and I'll leave the description of how to do it to others.

Gene is correct that moving the attribute columns is not possible using the keyboard alone, but this is an instance where NVDA's mouse tracking feature, willingness to use the mouse, and a reasonably steady hand can be used to move the columns to the left or right, at least in Windows Live Mail 2012(I'm not testing elsewhere until/unless I have the e-mail client information because this ability may or may not carry over to a given e-mail client).

If you have a convenient sighted assistant all they have to do is to hold down the left mouse button on the attachment attribute column heading and drag it to the left such that it is encountered first (again, for WLM 2012).

Where this is spoken seems to alter on different email clients. Not sure, for example if thunderbird and the microsoft offerings allow re placement of the columns this appears in or not.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

it does just that, because the attachment field is first.

Same here in Windows Live Mail 2012. Though the attachment field isn't first, it's before the From and Subject and I virtually never have any message arrive marked important (the actual first field). It's also interesting to note that in WLM 2012 you only see the fields laid out that way in one-line message view and that attachments will not even be shown on messages that have them until/unless the sender is on your safe sender's list. A test message I just sent to my testing account from one of my own e-mail accounts didn't show that it had an attachment because I'd never added myself to the safe sender's list prior to doing the test. Once I did, the "has attachment" field then populated in the message list.

Well it does this already surely?
Unless you have changed the columns order in the email cliient ofcourse.