an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

Dan Beaver

I have been bothered with this for a while but finally figured out what was happening.

If I am on a web page and I move down through the page I hear normal info. However, if I press ctrl+home or ctrl+end to move to the top or bottom of the page and then press tab or shift+tab to move through the links and other controls it moves from where I was before issuing ctrl+home or end not from the top or bottom of the page where ever I am at the time.

Sorry, that was a terribly long explanation and probably confusing as all get out.

I expected that once I press ctrl+home and do tabs it would move from the top of the page through the controls not from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

It does the same thing if issuing ctrl+end and then tabbing or shift+tabbing.

Is this something that can be fixed?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page? There are pages where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your place. I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be addressed. But if you want to move by links, use k and control k. K to move forward and control k to move back. You will be where you expect.

I have been bothered with this for a while but finally figured out what was happening.

If I am on a web page and I move down through the page I hear normal info. However, if I press ctrl+home or ctrl+end to move to the top or bottom of the page and then press tab or shift+tab to move through the links and other controls it moves from where I was before issuing ctrl+home or end not from the top or bottom of the page where ever I am at the time.

Sorry, that was a terribly long explanation and probably confusing as all get out.

I expected that once I press ctrl+home and do tabs it would move from the top of the page through the controls not from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

It does the same thing if issuing ctrl+end and then tabbing or shift+tabbing.

Is this something that can be fixed?

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson3182@...>

You mean shift K to move back.

[...]

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell.  I wondered if it was specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

-----Original Message----- From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor is when you move around. I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA or what might be done about it. I don't recall if I saw that behavior with other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years. But, as I said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Nope, I tried to say that I am seeing this behavior on all web pages.

NVDA used to perform so that if I issued ctrl+home and then started tabbing down the page it started moving down the page from the top of the page.  Now it starts tabbing from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

This happens in the opposite way for issuing the ctrl+end keystroke.

Dan Beaver

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I don't know why. You may want to try using NVDA running from the exe file to see if the behavior is as expected. Ifit is, you can try reinstalling NVDA.

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías

Hi all.

The option Automatically set system focus to focusable elements is disabled. The solution of this is press NVDA+8.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Soporte a usuarios, comunidad de NVDA en español.

Web www.nvda.es

Experto certificado en NVDA

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

tabbing

[...]

Músico (pianista) y ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual en el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología. Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musician (pianist) and help to the blind people and with visual disability in use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Dan Beaver

Awesome!  Thank you very much Carlos.  That fixed the issue.  After all the time I have used NVDA I didn't know about that function or how it even worked.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver