an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

Dan Beaver

I have been bothered with this for a while but finally figured out what was happening.

If I am on a web page and I move down through the page I hear normal info. However, if I press ctrl+home or ctrl+end to move to the top or bottom of the page and then press tab or shift+tab to move through the links and other controls it moves from where I was before issuing ctrl+home or end not from the top or bottom of the page where ever I am at the time.

Sorry, that was a terribly long explanation and probably confusing as all get out.

I expected that once I press ctrl+home and do tabs it would move from the top of the page through the controls not from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

It does the same thing if issuing ctrl+end and then tabbing or shift+tabbing.

Is this something that can be fixed?

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page? There are pages where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your place. I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be addressed. But if you want to move by links, use k and control k. K to move forward and control k to move back. You will be where you expect.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

I have been bothered with this for a while but finally figured out what was happening.

If I am on a web page and I move down through the page I hear normal info. However, if I press ctrl+home or ctrl+end to move to the top or bottom of the page and then press tab or shift+tab to move through the links and other controls it moves from where I was before issuing ctrl+home or end not from the top or bottom of the page where ever I am at the time.

Sorry, that was a terribly long explanation and probably confusing as all get out.

I expected that once I press ctrl+home and do tabs it would move from the top of the page through the controls not from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson3182@...>

You mean shift K to move back.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:45:36 -0600
Subject: Re: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page? There are pages
where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page
and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or
the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your
place. I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be
addressed. But if you want to move by links, use k and control k. K to
move forward and control k to move back. You will be where you expect.

Gene
Subject: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then
tabbing

I have been bothered with this for a while but finally figured out what was
happening.

If I am on a web page and I move down through the page I hear normal info.
However, if I press ctrl+home or ctrl+end to move to the top or bottom of
the page and then press tab or shift+tab to move through the links and other
controls it moves from where I was before issuing ctrl+home or end not from
the top or bottom of the page where ever I am at the time.

Sorry, that was a terribly long explanation and probably confusing as all
get out.

I expected that once I press ctrl+home and do tabs it would move from the
top of the page through the controls not from where I was when I issued the
ctrl+home.

It does the same thing if issuing ctrl+end and then tabbing or
shift+tabbing.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

Yes, shift k.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

You mean shift K to move back.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:45:36 -0600

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page? There are pages
place. I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be
addressed. But if you want to move by links, use k and control k. K to
move forward and control k to move back. You will be where you expect.

Gene
tabbing

happening.

get out.

ctrl+home.

shift+tabbing.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell.  I wondered if it was specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 2/14/2021 6:45 PM, Gene wrote:
Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page?  There are pages where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your place.  I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be addressed.  But if you want to move by links, use k and control k.  K to move forward and control k to move back.  You will be where you expect.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Dan Beaver
Subject: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor is when you move around. I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA or what might be done about it. I don't recall if I saw that behavior with other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years. But, as I said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 7:12 PM

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell. I wondered if it was specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page? There are pages where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your place. I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be addressed. But if you want to move by links, use k and control k. K to move forward and control k to move back. You will be where you expect.

Gene

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Nope, I tried to say that I am seeing this behavior on all web pages.

NVDA used to perform so that if I issued ctrl+home and then started tabbing down the page it started moving down the page from the top of the page.  Now it starts tabbing from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

This happens in the opposite way for issuing the ctrl+end keystroke.

Dan Beaver

On 2/14/2021 10:51 PM, Gene wrote:
If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor is when you move around.  I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA or what might be done about it.  I don't recall if I saw that behavior with other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years.  But, as I said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Gene

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell.  I wondered if it was specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page?  There are pages where browse mode doesn't line up properly with where you are on the page and tabbing, which seems to move more in conformance to where forms mode, or the underlying page is when the two diverge, may result in you losing your place.  I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be addressed.  But if you want to move by links, use k and control k.  K to move forward and control k to move back.  You will be where you expect.

Gene

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I don't know why. You may want to try using NVDA running from the exe file to see if the behavior is as expected. Ifit is, you can try reinstalling NVDA.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 8:28 AM

NVDA used to perform so that if I issued ctrl+home and then started tabbing down the page it started moving down the page from the top of the page. Now it starts tabbing from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

Dan Beaver

If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor is when you move around. I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA or what might be done about it. I don't recall if I saw that behavior with other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years. But, as I said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Gene

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell. I wondered if it was specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Gene

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías

Hi all.

The option Automatically set system focus to focusable elements is disabled. The solution of this is press NVDA+8.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Soporte a usuarios, comunidad de NVDA en español.

Web www.nvda.es

Experto certificado en NVDA

De: Gene
Enviado: lunes, 15 de febrero de 2021 10:19
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

I don't know why.  You may want to try using NVDA running from the exe file

to see if the behavior is as expected.  Ifit is, you can try reinstalling

NVDA.

Gene

Subject: Re: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and

then tabbing

NVDA used to perform so that if I issued ctrl+home and then started tabbing

down the page it started moving down the page from the top of the page.  Now

it starts tabbing from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

Dan Beaver

If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support

my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the

underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor

is when you move around.  I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA

or what might be done about it.  I don't recall if I saw that behavior with

other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years.  But, as I

said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Gene

then tabbing

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell.  I wondered if it was

specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page?  There are pages

place.  I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be

addressed.  But if you want to move by links, use k and control k.  K to

move forward and control k to move back.  You will be where you expect.

Gene

tabbing

happening.

get out.

ctrl+home.

shift+tabbing.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--

Músico (pianista) y ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual en el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología. Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musician (pianist) and help to the blind people and with visual disability in use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Dan Beaver

Awesome!  Thank you very much Carlos.  That fixed the issue.  After all the time I have used NVDA I didn't know about that function or how it even worked.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 2/15/2021 10:43 AM, Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías via groups.io wrote:

Hi all.

The option Automatically set system focus to focusable elements is disabled. The solution of this is press NVDA+8.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Soporte a usuarios, comunidad de NVDA en español.

Web www.nvda.es

Experto certificado en NVDA

De: Gene
Enviado: lunes, 15 de febrero de 2021 10:19
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] an oddity with moving to top or bottom of web page and then tabbing

I don't know why.  You may want to try using NVDA running from the exe file

to see if the behavior is as expected.  Ifit is, you can try reinstalling

NVDA.

Gene

then tabbing

NVDA used to perform so that if I issued ctrl+home and then started tabbing

down the page it started moving down the page from the top of the page.  Now

it starts tabbing from where I was when I issued the ctrl+home.

Dan Beaver

If you are saying that pages act as you expect generally, that may support

my guess that you are discussing a small number of pages where the

underlying page doesn't synchronize with where the brows mode virtual cursor

is when you move around.  I don't know if that is just a problem with NVDA

or what might be done about it.  I don't recall if I saw that behavior with

other screen-readers, having used NVDA for a number of years.  But, as I

said, using k and control k may work around the problem.

Gene

then tabbing

It seems to be all web pages as far as I can tell.  I wondered if it was

specific pages but I can't find any that act as I had previously expected.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Is this on web pages in general or just this or that page?  There are pages

place.  I'm not sure if there is a general problem that needs to be

addressed.  But if you want to move by links, use k and control k.  K to

move forward and control k to move back.  You will be where you expect.

Gene

tabbing

happening.

get out.

ctrl+home.

shift+tabbing.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--

Músico (pianista) y ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual en el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología. Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musician (pianist) and help to the blind people and with visual disability in use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)