Oddity With NVDA And Thunderbird with Inbox status Line

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Matthew

Hi JAWS 2021 does this also.  I am guessing this is a thunderbird problem, but not sure.

On 2/21/2021 1:55 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

This issue began with the latest version of NVDA version 2020.4. When I voe to the Tree View of folders using the F6 key and arrow up and down I hear something like 'inbox fill down pointing small tirangle' followed by the number of unread messages in the folder. This is with sub foldrs located under the inbox and with the tree branch closed with the left arrow.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? This occurs with all installed synthesizers and voices and with variation of punctuation with all, some, most and characters. It stops only when I turn punctuation to none.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

This is not a Thunderbird issue. In NVDA 2020.4, the CLDR emoji annotation was updated to version 38, which may have resulted in this symbol being recognised and spoken as an emoji, whereas it was probably ignored before. As discussed, the best fix is to just increase the symbol level of the emoji above what you have it set to (for example, to Most if you have it set on the default which is Some).

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
So I wouldn't think it was a Thunderbird issue solely.
-
For the record, nor do I at this point.  The inconsistent behavior with what NVDA is announcing when Thunderbird is not even involved is enough for me to say that this is most likely to be an NVDA problem.

I hope that some of our regulars who are intimately tied to NVAccess have been reading this topic (and I'll have to rattle cages, too).  This is a case where I could no sooner come up with a coherent, short, problem description and set of replication steps than fly to the moon under the power of my arms.  There's a consistent issue, but an inconsistent output from NVDA, which makes it particularly odd.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Gianluigi Coppelletti <gianluigi@...>

Hi,

the easiest solution to this oddity, that was suggested by our friend DJ Raf in the italian list, is the following:

1 press NVDA+n;

2 choose Preferences, then Punctuation and symbols;

3 press shift+tab to go to the search box and type filled down;

4 press tab, and you should be on the symbol that you are looking for. If you are not on the right position, press up/down arrow to locate it. You can also search for the word filled only, but you'll have to press down arrow about 12 times;

5 press tab twice and select "most" or "all" with up/down arrows. I think that this depends on your current punctuation verbosity. If it is set to "some", the option "most" should be O.K.;

6 press tab to the O.K. button and press enter.

I hope that it'll work for you as it worked for me.

Ciao.

Gigi

Il 21/02/2021 22.51, Ron Canazzi ha scritto:

Hi Group,

I tried following the steps indicated in this thread but it did not work. Actually what it should be saying is the word unread in place of that symbol., When I tried using the ▾  as the pattern and replacing it with the word unread, nothing changed.

On 2/21/2021 4:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Even though this topic was launched first, the more recent one asking about this issue has a title that is far more indicative regarding the actual issue:  Oddity With NVDA And Thunderbird with Inbox status Line

Thus, this topic, +Strange thing in Nvda, shall be merged into the more descriptive one as soon as I finish posting this message.  If others wish to discuss workarounds further, please post to the "Oddity" topic.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian and Group,

Well I was not able to find the single character anywhere by myself. Brian somehow found it somewhere.  In his last message, I copied it and used the speech dictionary to add it and redefine it under the single character setting as unread.  After all this speculation, that seems to have worked.

This issue started with the same Thunderbird that I was using prior to the upgrade to NVDA 2020.4.  So I wouldn't think it was a Thunderbird issue solely.

On 2/21/2021 5:25 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Even curiouser, when I'm having NVDA read my immediately prior message, in the web interface, it is saying "teeny tiny down arrow" for that character.

But when I continue on to the one previous to that, when it hits it it announces, "fill down pointing small triangle."

This is really, really weird.  Really weird!

      ~ Anton Chekhov

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Even curiouser, when I'm having NVDA read my immediately prior message, in the web interface, it is saying "teeny tiny down arrow" for that character.

But when I continue on to the one previous to that, when it hits it it announces, "fill down pointing small triangle."

This is really, really weird.  Really weird!

      ~ Anton Chekhov

And a follow-up:

When in Tbird, after having made the previously noted dictionary change, when I land on my inbox, where the▾immediately precedes the number of messages, it reads something that sounds like "fill" or "field" (more like the former) tiny down arrow.

I am absolutely certain that the "fill" was not being said in my initial test in Notepad, but when I revisit notpad it now is.  And it continues to be said even after Thunderbird is closed.

I closed NVDA, reopened it, and edited the dictionary entry, during which NVDA said that "fill" when in the pattern, and it had not before, but I edited my replacement string to "teeny tiny down arrow."  When I had NVDA read the line above with said character in it, after the edit, it says only "teeny tiny down arrow."

Curiouser and curiouser.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

By the way, I just put an entry in the default dictionary with the pattern being the single character: ▾
the replacement string being: tiny down arrow
the match type being: whole word.

After that's saved, I had NVDA read the following line that I'd created in Notepad: Now is the time ▾ for all ▾ good men to come to ▾ the aid of their party.

All three tiny down arrow characters were announced as "tiny down arrow."

      ~ Anton Chekhov

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 04:51 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
When I tried using the ▾  as the pattern and replacing it with the word unread, nothing changed.

Are you positive that the item you're testing this on afterward has the downward pointing small triangle present?

When I try to search for that character, copied and pasted from your line, which I'm going to presume was copied straight from the source, I get nothing back in Character Map.

My gut still says to me that this is an issue with Thunderbird, not NVDA, but if it is then I'd imagine that NVDA 2020.3 would announce the same thing that 2020.4 does, and I don't think that's the case.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Ron Canazzi

[...]

Hi Dan,

I would have used the dictionary of some sort if I could actually isolate the odd figure/oration. But with Mozilla Thunderbird as well as Firefox, you can't isolate this item using the screen review or object review feature. When you switch to those modes and try moving to the status line where this odd character appears, all you get is 'blank' reported.

On 2/21/2021 3:57 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Yep, I have this behavior too.

wonder if there is a way to stop this using the pronunciation dictionary.  It isn't a big show stopper for me but it would lessen the verbiage spoken.

Dan Beaver

On 2/21/2021 1:55 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

This issue began with the latest version of NVDA version 2020.4. When I voe to the Tree View of folders using the F6 key and arrow up and down I hear something like 'inbox fill down pointing small tirangle' followed by the number of unread messages in the folder. This is with sub foldrs located under the inbox and with the tree branch closed with the left arrow.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? This occurs with all installed synthesizers and voices and with variation of punctuation with all, some, most and characters. It stops only when I turn punctuation to none.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

The link you provided gives an error 404 file not found page.

On 2/21/2021 2:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
+Strange thing in Nvda

Topic started yesterday, and should still be in your inbox.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Even though this topic was launched first, the more recent one asking about this issue has a title that is far more indicative regarding the actual issue:  Oddity With NVDA And Thunderbird with Inbox status Line

Thus, this topic, +Strange thing in Nvda, shall be merged into the more descriptive one as soon as I finish posting this message.  If others wish to discuss workarounds further, please post to the "Oddity" topic.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Dan Beaver

And I have my wondering answered too.  ;)

Dan Beaver

On 2/21/2021 2:13 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:54 AM, Jarek.Krcmar wrote:
How did you do it?
-

Using the NVDA Dictionaries with Regular Expression Matching to Change Pronunciations (docx)

In this case, you need not use regular expression matching, since this is for a single character.  You can copy and paste that character, which has been in several messages in this topic and can be snagged from one of them, and use it in a Whole Word match rather than a regular expression match.

The tutorial goes through the steps, which are exactly the same as far as adding a dictionary entry, but I focused on regular expression matching.  It's a simple enough matter to use the Whole Word radio button as is appropriate here.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

[...]