ZOOM: Can NVDA announce state of mute/unmute?

Milton Charlton

During a ZOOM session I would like to hear the status of mute/unmute.  When I press down the spacebar, NVDA starts to announce “unmute” but does not complete speaking the word “unmute”.  When I let up the spacebar NVDA announces “mute”.

It is often impractical to hold down the spacebar to speak.  If I manage to click on the mute/unmute icon, NVDA does not announce anything.  I know there is a red slash though the icon but that is too hard to see.

Similarly, if I use ALT-A to change the state of mute/unmute, NVDA does not announce this.

I feel I am missing something here and therefore seek your advice.  Is there a way to make this work better?

It would also be really handy to have a way to announce the state of mute/unmute without actually changing the state by the controls mentioned above.  Something like a hotkey that causes the state of mute/unmute to be spoken would be great.  Sometimes during a session I just want to know if I am  muted or unmuted because I may have forgotten the status.

Thanks.  This is a great forum!!

Milton

Use the short cut command alt a to switch between mute and unmute. I don't know why you don't hear the status spoken fully when you do what you do. When I use alt a with NVDA, I hear the status spoken correctly.

[...]

Arlene

Hi, all you do is hold down the alt key and hit a. You will be muted. When you unmute do the same thing. I tried with both jaws and NVDA. When I mute Jaws will say your audio is muted. NVDA says muted. You know you are muted. When you unmute, NVDA will say unmuted. Jaws will say your audio is unmuted.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Actually, all you do is hold space. This will unmute like a PTT.

[...]

molly the blind tech lover

Pressing alt +a will mute/unmute your audio.

[...]

It will, but I find holding space and talking is a lot quicker at times. Especially if I need to say something quick. I was taught that during a class.

[...]

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello,

Alt+A works fine here, NVDA announces that audio is muted or not.

You can also open the participants list in typing alt+u, arrow down to your name and NVDA will tell you if you are muted or not.

Best

Sylvie

[...]

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi,

if you press a hotkey Alt + A, Nvda anounces Audio mute, if you press the hotkey seccondly, Nvda anounces Audio Unmute.

Jarek

Dne 25.02.2021 v 18:25 Milton Charlton napsal(a):

[...]

Chris Smart

Zoom has lots of hotkeys built in like this that the original poster should look up and learn.