learning python


Don H
 

I have downloaded and installed python 3 on my system. I downloaded some sample programs. I can choose to edit one of the programs using Idle 3.9. Doing this opens what I assume is Idle but NVDA will read nothing in this screen. What am I missing.


Sascha Cowley
 

Nothing; Idle is not accessible with NVDA.


Don H
 

Are there any tutorials or courses to learn Python as a blind person?

On 2/28/2021 4:57 PM, Sascha Cowley via groups.io wrote:
Nothing; Idle is not accessible with NVDA.


Ann Byrne
 


 

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 05:46 PM, Don H wrote:
I can choose to edit one of the programs using Idle 3.9.
-
As an aside, you could use Notepad++ as your editor instead.  It does support Python language checking (among many others).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

 


 

Hi Don

This youtube playlist offer tutorials on python programming with NVDA. I've just save it into my account, not listen yet. I think it would be useful for you: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCuspdftAujuMra_kKm1XkIpJaVg6y_Kr

Beside, consider joining python vis mailing list, the list where blind people discuss everything about python. Take a look at: https://www.freelists.org/list/pythonvis

Cuong

On 3/1/2021 5:45 AM, Don H wrote:
I have downloaded and installed python 3 on my system.  I downloaded some sample programs.  I can choose to edit one of the programs using Idle 3.9.  Doing this opens what I assume is Idle but NVDA will read nothing in this screen.  What am I missing.





Sascha Cowley
 

I fail to see why one would need the tutorial to be targeted specifically at blind people.
There is a good deal of first-party documentation available on the Python website. I first learnt Python with the book Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes (William Pollock, 978-1-59327-603-4).


 

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 04:36 AM, Sascha Cowley wrote:
I fail to see why one would need the tutorial to be targeted specifically at blind people.
-
Amen to that, and not just in this context.   Very little about learning a programming language, or new program, or how Windows does something, is related to your visual status nor to your screen reader of preference.

And any screen reader user should know that "double click" means "select and activate" and "right click" means "select and bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing."

There's a lot more material out there that wasn't written with a screen reader user in mind that should be instantly understandable by anyone who does use one.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

 


Devin Prater
 

The only thing I could see needing some tutoring is the code editor, VS Code or Notepad Plus plus, and using a keyboard only approach to using the editor, and using less-than and greater-than instead of left angle bracket and right angle bracket.

On 3/1/21 10:01 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 04:36 AM, Sascha Cowley wrote:
I fail to see why one would need the tutorial to be targeted specifically at blind people.
-
Amen to that, and not just in this context.   Very little about learning a programming language, or new program, or how Windows does something, is related to your visual status nor to your screen reader of preference.

And any screen reader user should know that "double click" means "select and activate" and "right click" means "select and bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing."

There's a lot more material out there that wasn't written with a screen reader user in mind that should be instantly understandable by anyone who does use one.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

 


 

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 11:46 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
The only thing I could see needing some tutoring is the code editor, VS Code or Notepad Plus plus, and using a keyboard only approach to using the editor, and using less-than and greater-than instead of left angle bracket and right angle bracket.
-
Agreed.  But that has nothing to do, really, with learning Python.

And needing to learn the keyboard commands for any new piece of software you might be using is just a standard part of the procedure at all times, and has to do with that piece of software, not NVDA.

I'm not sure what you mean by the angle bracket part, as to me left angle bracket is synonymous with the less than sign and right angle bracket synonymous with greater than sign when it comes to a keyboard.  The terminology any given set of instructions might use for these will differ.  Of course, if you are initially unfamiliar with the interchangeability then you learn that very quickly.

But I've drifted way, way off of NVDA, and the entire topic was never really about NVDA.  I'd ask that this be taken to the NVDA Chat Subgroup or any of several other more appropriate venues that have already been mentioned.  The fact that NVDA is coded in Python doesn't make learning Python related to NVDA in the sense laid out in the group description or rules.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

 


Luke Davis
 

While NotepadPlusPlus has been mentioned here, I didn't hear mention of the NVDA add-on for it. The add-on is particularly useful while programming in NPP.
It can be had at the usual place.

Luke

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021, Don H wrote:

I have downloaded and installed python 3 on my system. I downloaded some sample programs. I can choose to edit one of the programs using Idle 3.9. Doing this opens what I assume is Idle but NVDA will read nothing in this screen. What am I missing.