strange reverting issue on a restart

Luke Davis

Do you have any configuration profiles?

To check, press NVDA+n, c, and then use your arrow keys to navigate the list of configured profiles.

I'm wondering if you have a profile, and what you think you are saving in the main profile, is actually being saved in something else.

Luke

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021, ken lawrence via groups.io wrote:

Hi group a strange thing has happened the last couple days on NVDA while most of my settings are in tact, every time I restart my computer for the day, the
punctuation/symbol level somehow reverts to most where I have it on some to cut down on the verbiage.  I reset it in speech settings but the next day it’s
back.  I have doublechecked to make sure save configuration on exit is checked and if NVDA is exited and restarted it’s fine but with the computer
restarting that punctuation level changes back to most.  I also see mouse tracking is on when the computer is restarted.  This has happened for the last
couple day.  Any thought on why?

Quentin Christensen

Following on from Chris' suggestion, if you setup the symbol level etc how you want it, then press NDVA+control+c, or choose "Save configuration" from the NVDA menu, when you restart the computer are the settings how you saved them, or reverted?

If you have NVDA set to save settings on exit, and that's what it should be doing (unless it crashes badly or something - in which case we want to address why THAT happened).

If you want to troubleshoot a little more, could you please set your log level to debug, change the settings, restart the computer, confirm the settings are reverted next time you start NVDA, and send me the log files?  (NVDA keeps two - one for the current or most recent instance, and one for the time before.  It should indicate if NVDA had a problem saving the settings.

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

No idea why, but if you use the save configuration option in nvda menu it should then save the settings as you want them to be before exiting nvda

Hi group a strange thing has happened the last couple days on NVDA while most of my settings are in tact, every time I restart my computer for the day, the punctuation/symbol level somehow reverts to most where I have it on some to cut down on the verbiage.  I reset it in speech settings but the next day it’s back.  I have doublechecked to make sure save configuration on exit is checked and if NVDA is exited and restarted it’s fine but with the computer restarting that punctuation level changes back to most.  I also see mouse tracking is on when the computer is restarted.  This has happened for the last couple day.  Any thought on why?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager