For those using Security Suites or Mail Classifiers that Change the Subject Line #adminnotice

There seems to be a recent uptick, and not only in the NVDA group, of topics being split because whatever "takes a look at incoming email" before it lands in your inbox is adding things like, "[SUSPECTED SPAM]," in front of the original subject line.  This causes topics to be split, sometimes multiple times.

Messages from any group to which you subscribe from any email service, not just Groups.io, are by definition not spam.  You don't get these messages unless you've asked for them.

I am asking anyone who uses this sort of software to please add nvda.groups.io into their whitelist of allowed domains (or whatever terminology your specific product uses to say, "If this message originates from this place, don't classify it as spam.")  If you have other groups.io subscriptions you may just want to add any domain that ends in groups.io.  Also do this for any other subscription email services you're using.  This prevents incorrect spam classification and unintentional topic splitting.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise Pfau

Hi Brian.  I'm using the gmail web interface.  Is there a way to report a message as "not spam" from the inbox?  There is a button to do this in the "Spam" folder.  Is the "report spam" function the same as the white list function you mentioned?

Thanks,

Louise

Jackie

Louise, you do this from your spam folder, ie, if a groups.io message
ends up there, then just press the "not spam" button.

On 3/6/21, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brian.  I'm using the gmail web interface.  Is there a way to report a
message as "not spam" from the inbox?  There is a button to do this in the
"Spam" folder.  Is the "report spam" function the same as the white list
function you mentioned?

Thanks,

Louise

Louise,

          There is no "Not spam" button for the inbox, as if something lands in the inbox, Gmail does not consider it to be spam to begin with.  There is an actual spam/mark as spam button in the inbox in case they missed something.

           In the case of someone who is using the Gmail web interface, the very topic of this message is irrelevant.  Gmail does not use the subject line in any way to differentiate between spam/not spam or even classification into labels/folders.

            I really don't know what specific software is in use that puts the various bits within square brackets at the start of the subject line, and I'm not talking about the group identifier itself, which is put there by Groups.io.  I've just noticed recently that lots of topics are being split on several groups because things like, "[spam]," or, "[Suspected Spam]," or "[External]," are being stuck on the front of the subject lines.  And I'm virtually certain that it's not human intervention that's putting those there.  A spam and general filtering program I haven't used for at least 15 years now, Popfile, used to have an option that would do this to subject lines, but I don't know of anyone using it anymore and doubt that's what's going on here.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise Pfau

Hi Brian.  I got the "[Suspected Spam]" modifier on one of the NVDA messages this morning.  This is the first time I've seen this happen.  I've had to report some of the groups.io messages as "not spam" when they ended up in the "Spam" folder.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise, and anyone using Gmail (whether via webmail or in an e-mail client),

See my tutorial:  Creating IMAP Labels (Folders) and Filters for Gmail

The tutorial is quite lengthy, as I'm trying to cover a wide range of possibilities.  You do NOT have to read the whole thing, from beginning to end.  Instead, proceed as noted below.

You can skip from step one, where you log in to Gmail on the web and get into settings, straight to step six, which is where the step-by-step instructions for creating filters begins.  For this exercise you will not be creating labels/folders, but just a filter that makes sure that anything originating from Groups.io will not be classified as spam.

At step 8, you will be using the To field, in which you'll enter:  *@groups.io
then move along directly to Step 9.

At step 9, you will activate the Never send it to Spam option, and only that option.

Then proceed immediately to navigate to and activate the Create Filter button, and you're done.

Now, any message that comes into your Gmail account that is from any groups.io group should never end up in Spam, but land in your inbox, regardless of anything that might otherwise normally cause a spam filter to trigger.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

OOPS, a critical typo.  I wrote that you'll enter *@groups.io.   Nuke that at sign.   It's just:   *groups.io.

You want anything that ends in groups.io in the To field to never be sent to spam.  There are To: addresses like the one for this group, which shows in my messages as nvda@nvda.groups.io, and others that are shorter, e.g, blindandroidusers@groups.io.

It simply does not matter what comes before "groups.io," just that the To: address ends with "groups.io."

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Hettie <woehler.hettie@...>

If you have a spam message in your inbox, press J to specify it as spam.

In your spam folder press Shift + J to mark it as Not Spam. Thunderbird moves the unwanted file to the spam folder and in the spam folder the file you specify as not spam is is moved to the inbox.

.

Hettie

On 3/6/2021 11:06 PM, Jackie wrote:
Louise, you do this from your spam folder, ie, if a groups.io message
ends up there, then just press the "not spam" button.

On 3/6/21, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brian.  I'm using the gmail web interface.  Is there a way to report a
message as "not spam" from the inbox?  There is a button to do this in the
"Spam" folder.  Is the "report spam" function the same as the white list
function you mentioned?

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi. I've figured out how to mark or unmark spam. I'm going to download the tutorial though.

Thanks,

Louise