NVDA not reading books in kindle book viewer

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I have just bought the following book.
Trading Evolved: Anyone can Build Killer Trading Strategies in Python
By Andreas F. Clenow

I opened the book in kindle and found that a self-voicing component of the
kindle program on windows began reading the book. When I am in the ebook
viewer, moving the arrow keys does not help.

I suspect this is a kindle change more than a NVDA bug. Is there any way to
return to NVDA reading the book in the kindle program?
I have other books in my kindle library which read normally.

What is so special about this book? I will send feedback to amazon but am
asking here as well.

Pranav

Mary Otten

Hi Pranav,

You have found one of those Kindle books that does not support screen readers; it is a Kindle issue, not an NVDA issue. Occasionally, such books will read ok on the iPhone, but sometimes not. So if you have an IOS device, I'd try it there, and otherwise, get a refund from Amazon for a basically inaccessible book. that self voicing thing is a joke and totally not appropriate, I should think, for a technical book such as the one you bought.

Mary

On 3/11/2021 9:30 AM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I have just bought the following book.
Trading Evolved: Anyone can Build Killer Trading Strategies in Python
By Andreas F. Clenow

I opened the book in kindle and found that a self-voicing component of the
kindle program on windows began reading the book. When I am in the ebook
viewer, moving the arrow keys does not help.

I suspect this is a kindle change more than a NVDA bug. Is there any way to
return to NVDA reading the book in the kindle program?
I have other books in my kindle library which read normally.

What is so special about this book? I will send feedback to amazon but am
asking here as well.

Pranav

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

when you are looking for books make sure it is screen reader enabled.

so in the following case the following book is also text to speech enabled  but this is read out by the program.

Product details
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1634 KB
Print Length: 226 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Bella Books (15 March 2019)
Sold by: Amazon Australia Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B07PG5555P
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Screen Reader: Supported
Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled

Gene nz

On 12/03/2021 6:30 am, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I have just bought the following book.
Trading Evolved: Anyone can Build Killer Trading Strategies in Python
By Andreas F. Clenow

I opened the book in kindle and found that a self-voicing component of the
kindle program on windows began reading the book. When I am in the ebook
viewer, moving the arrow keys does not help.

I suspect this is a kindle change more than a NVDA bug. Is there any way to
return to NVDA reading the book in the kindle program?
I have other books in my kindle library which read normally.

What is so special about this book? I will send feedback to amazon but am
asking here as well.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Mary,

I am reading the book as a part of kindle unlimited so it’s a part of my subscription.

Thanks for the clarification and this is a royal pain.

Pranav

Mary Otten

Pranav, Do you have an iPhone, and did you try that book in the Kindle app?

Mary

On 3/11/2021 3:57 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi Mary,

I am reading the book as a part of kindle unlimited so it’s a part of my subscription.

Thanks for the clarification and this is a royal pain.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Mary,

I am no longer using my iPhone so did not try the book in the kindle app.

Pranav

Luke Davis

It's part of your subscription, but you still pay for that subscription, and are therefore paying for the book. You have every right to complain to Amazon and the publisher.

Luke

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Pranav Lal wrote:

I am reading the book as a part of kindle unlimited so it’s a part of my subscription.

Pranav Lal

Hi Luke,

You have a point there and I am going to complain to amazon.

Pranav

It's part of your subscription, but you still pay for that subscription, and
are therefore paying for the book. You have every right to complain to
Amazon and the publisher.

Luke
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Pranav Lal wrote:

I am reading the book as a part of kindle unlimited so it?s a part of my
subscription.

Rowen Cary

In kindle, I hardly find any books that support screen readers. Is there any way we can filter to show all books that support screen readers?

Thanks

Alexandre Alves Toco

As far as I know, there is no way to list books with screen reader support. And even worst, you may buy a book with screen reader support and they update the book and the new version is not screen reader enabled.

I had a hard dispute with amazon because it happened with 2 books I bought.

After a while, the screen reader support was restablished.

Em 13/03/2021 23:47, Rowen Cary escreveu:

In kindle, I hardly find any books that support screen readers. Is there any way we can filter to show all books that support screen readers?

Thanks

Rowen Cary

HI Alexandre!
Thank you for answering my questions.
As far as I know, there are very few books that support screen readers, especially Chinese books.

Richard B. McDonald

Actually, there is a way to list only books with screen reader support.  When you first do a search on Amazon under Kindle, there appears a bunch of filters.  One of them, and it is one of the last of many, is a check box to list only books with screen reader support.

Rowen Cary

HI Richard!
I will try, thank you very much.