Logging on to groups.io causes NVDA 2020.4 to crash

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I recently updated my E-mail through my groups.io account, and now NVDA 2020.4 crashes when I try to log into groups.io.  I wanted to search the archive for something, rather than post a message.  I’m using Microsoft EdgeVersion 89.0.774.50 (Official build).

Thanks,

Louise

Chris Smart

I'm not sure what's happening there. I don't use Edge regularly, but I just logged into my groups.io account with it and NVDA 2020.4.

On 2021-03-12 5:31 p.m., Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  I recently updated my E-mail through my groups.io account, and now NVDA 2020.4 crashes when I try to log into groups.io.  I wanted to search the archive for something, rather than post a message.  I’m using Microsoft EdgeVersion 89.0.774.50 (Official build).

Thanks,

Louise

Louise,

          FYI, the group archives are public, so you do not have to be logged in to view and search them.

           Can't explain the crash with 2020.4.  I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling as a first step to see if the issue persists.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise,

            Of course, if you haven't tried The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues
then do so before uninstalling and reinstalling.  The issue could lie with an add-on.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Luke Davis

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Brian Vogel wrote:

2020.4.  I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling as a first step to see if the issue persists
I'm pretty sure restarting the computer should be the first step. :)

Followed by running the Com Reg fixing tool. It's quick, it's easy, and it solves all kinds of odd behavior problems with no further work. I have heard of some cases where you have to run it twice, but those cases are without logs, so I don't really know what was going on there.
But the point is: it's minimal impact, and takes 10 seconds, so why not run that first?

The third step should be restarting with add-ons disabled, as you pointed out in your followup email.

Reinstalling the software should, at best, be the fourth step, imo.

Luke

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 07:37 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
I'm pretty sure restarting the computer should be the first step. :)
-
Agreed.  And I covered that in the personal dope slap follow up message, as it's the first thing in my list of The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues, and the others you mention are numbers two and three, in the same order you mention.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Quentin Christensen

Coming in late, but how did you go with this issue Louise?

If it's still crashing, and you've tried restarting with add-ons disabled etc, I'd be interested if you could please send me a debug log, and as NVDA is crashing, there should also be an NVDA_crash.dmp file in the %temp% folder as well which could be very useful.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen