Reading messages in action center, settings, and so on.

John Isige

Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center and setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think that will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened it up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed to check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using NVDA-b to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra stuff first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

Adriani Botez

Hey,

You can use object navigation for reading the messages very easy. Look after Object navigation in NVDA's user guide.

Best
Adriani

Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center and setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think that will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened it up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed to check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using NVDA-b to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra stuff first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

Gene

I don't know but you might have saved a lot of time by using screen review or object navigation to skim the screen.

As far as messages in the actual center, I don't know about Windows 10.  My recollection about Windows 7 is that you can't read messages either at all or well enough to be useful.

Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center and
setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable
installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think that
will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened it
up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed to
check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using NVDA-b
to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra stuff
first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

John Isige

Ah cool. Then they work just like the updates downloading in settings.
Thanks!

On 1/18/2018 16:05, Adriani Botez wrote:
Hey,

You can use object navigation for reading the messages very easy. Look after Object navigation in NVDA's user guide.

Best
Adriani

Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center and setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think that will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened it up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed to check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using NVDA-b to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra stuff first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

Adriani Botez

Unfortunately, screen review does not work in windows 10 as well as it did in previous windows versions. But object navigation works.

Best

Adriani

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just had a look in the windows action center I tabbed once and it put me in the messages where i could arrow down and up them to see what they were.

also in the same section if i tabbed a couple of times it gave me the option to clear it or all of them etc

Depending on some other stuff there are cases where object navigation may be used or screen review.

But did not need to use it here i am using windows 10 ver 1709

Gene nz

On 1/19/2018 11:03 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center and setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think that will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened it up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed to check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using NVDA-b to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra stuff first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

Hi John and others,

I normally don’t write the following, but this time…

I highly recommend listening to my tutorial set. If you listen to object navigation and popular apps sections, you’ll get the answer you need for navigating universal apps.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Joseph:

Your tutorials were awesome, I'm talking about the 2015 ones, and I just
haven't gotten round to checking out the new ones yet. I might wait
until the whole zip goes up because then I can just replace the whole
set. But yeah, I've been meaning to check them out. Good to know those
are universal apps, it's hard to tell sometimes.

On 1/18/2018 16:33, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Hi,
One important thing to note: not all universal apps are universal. Most apps you get from Microsoft Store are universal apps (in that they'll use UIA), but a handful are old desktop apps converted into a partial universal app for distribution on Microsoft Store (and very soon, another app will join that rank).
As for the tutorial set in a zip file: it'll go up sometime in February (likely by the time NVDA 2018.1 release candidate comes out).
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi all. Is there a way to read messages in things like action center
and setup in Windows 10? I have Windows App Essentials, latest stable
installed. Let me describe what I'm talking about, because I think
that will help.

Today I saw in the system tray that "actions are needed". So I opened
it up. It opened up Windows Defender. Windows Defender said I needed
to check for updates. But the only way I found that out was by using
NVDA-b to read the entire screen, so I had to listen to a lot of extra
stuff first. Is there a quicker way to find and read those kinds of messages?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Really Microsoft need to sort this out I feel, sometimes in windows 7, I have no problems other times I have to resort to screen review, which sort of suggests that the way these messages are displayed is not always the same.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Lino Morales

Well to read messages in the Actions Center is rather simple. Just hit WIN plus A and tab to the list of notifications. If you need more details press enter. If you just want to simply clear them all tab to the clear all button.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Yes but if you do an nvda/b, you often find more text on such pages than you can hear tradiditionally.