Question about strictly using NVDA core functionality on nonpersonal computers

Louise Pfau

Hi. Thanks for the tips. I think the only add-on that wasn't on the add-ons website might have been "Report Passwords". There was one called "Speak Passwords" that was only compatible with NVDA 2019.3. I always want to be careful with other people's property, just in case something gets damaged, particularly in the case of add-ons or programs when it's unknown how the computer will react.

Louise

Luke Davis

I would agree with Gene. If the add-ons come from the community site, they should be safe to use anywhere. Security is one of the tests they have to pass to get there.

That said, not all add-ons work in all versions of Windows. I don't know of any that will actually impede access to an earlier version of Windows, but the add-ons themselves might not always work.
Windows 10 App Essentials comes to mind, as one that only does certain things depending on the version of Windows, and the version of the add-on. And on Win 7 or 8 it won't do anything.

I would suggest creating the portable, and then pruning out any add-ons you don't think you'll need, or that are not community site add-ons.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

You could create a portable copy of your install with all add ons. I did this to test with a now defunked shadow machine. You could do this at lat install, hope you still can now.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 20 Mar 2021, at 11:20, Louise Pfau wrote:

Hi.  If I use NVDA on computers that aren’t mine, I only use it with core functionality.  I’m hesitant to use add-ons when it’s not my property, particularly when I don’t use a portable copy.  I do have several add-ons installed on my personal computer though.  Do people think it’s wise to avoid using add-ons in such a case?

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

If an add-on is on the official NVDA add-ons page, it has been vetted and is safe. If you are concerned about other add-ons from a security or stability standpoint, that's a different question.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 1:20 PM
To: NVDA Group
Subject: [nvda] Question about strictly using NVDA core functionality on nonpersonal computers

Hi. If I use NVDA on computers that aren’t mine, I only use it with core functionality. I’m hesitant to use add-ons when it’s not my property, particularly when I don’t use a portable copy. I do have several add-ons installed on my personal computer though. Do people think it’s wise to avoid using add-ons in such a case?

Thanks,

Louise

Hi lal,

Never mind about the below exchange, as it was meant for someone off-list (sorry).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 11:36 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about strictly using NVDA core functionality on nonpersonal computers

Hi,

The issue though is that I cannot open the attached Python file at all. Sorry.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaban Mamedov
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about strictly using NVDA core functionality on nonpersonal computers

Hello,
I always have my add-ons packed with the portable copy, so I think it's ok to use them in which computer you need.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021, 22:20 Louise Pfau, <lpfau@...> wrote:

Hi.  If I use NVDA on computers that aren’t mine, I only use it with core functionality.  I’m hesitant to use add-ons when it’s not my property, particularly when I don’t use a portable copy.  I do have several add-ons installed on my personal computer though.  Do people think it’s wise to avoid using add-ons in such a case?

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

The issue though is that I cannot open the attached Python file at all. Sorry.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaban Mamedov
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 11:26 AM

Hello,
I always have my add-ons packed with the portable copy, so I think it's ok to use them in which computer you need.

Thanks,

Louise

Shaban Mamedov <shabanmamedov1@...>

Hello,

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Thanks,

Louise