Is there a way to turn off announcement of table column and row headings?

John J. Boyer

Hello,

I surf some websites that use tables for formatting. That is just annoying and sometimes confujsing.
Is there a way to turn off announcement of row and column headings?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org

Luke Davis

Well, you can try turning off layout tables in Browse Mode settings (NVDA+control+b), or actually turning off column and row header announcements in document formatting settings (NVDA+control+d, then alt+e twice, followed by space and enter).

I would try the layout tables thing first.

Luke

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021, John J. Boyer wrote:

I surf some websites that use tables for formatting. That is just annoying and sometimes confujsing.
Is there a way to turn off announcement of row and column headings?

Hi. Yes, you can do this in NVDA's document formatting settings. Press NVDA+Ctrl+D. You can then either Tab to the option to announce row and column headers or press Alt+E twice to get to it. Hope this helps.

On 3/23/2021 2:47 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Hello,

I surf some websites that use tables for formatting. That is just annoying and sometimes confujsing.
Is there a way to turn off announcement of row and column headings?

Thanks,
John

Louise Pfau

Hi. You should also be aware that if you turn off cell coordinates in NVDA document formatting settings, it won't announce blank cells in programs like Excel with a tabular structure. I found a setting for headings, but I don't know if it will read them correctly as column and row titles like JAWS will.

Louise

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

Actually that's not entirely accurate, as the original poster could
use configuration profiles to only turn off row and column
announcements in the chosen web browser.