Using Skype with NVDA

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I need to use Skype for a possible new job. However, when I start it, I don’t get any speech. I have tried going in and out of browse mode, and still there is nothing. Would someone mind giving me some quick tips and/or pointing me towards an ad-on? I looked on the NVDA add-on site and just found one. I’m not sure how modern it is. I am using Win10 and the latest NVDA.

Thanks,

Janet

Janet,

Even my question itself may be outdated, but are you using the Skype App (as in the modern Win10 Skype) or the installed Skype for Desktop variety (see: 

Download Skype for Desktop | Available for Windows, Mac ...)?

That will make a difference in advice, and if memory serves the Skype Desktop version is more accessible than the modern app, but I could easily have that flip-flopped.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

~ Anton Chekhov

Janet Brandly

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like I am using the app version.

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: March 24, 2021 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Skype with NVDA

Janet,

Even my question itself may be outdated, but are you using the Skype App (as in the modern Win10 Skype) or the installed Skype for Desktop variety (see: 

That will make a difference in advice, and if memory serves the Skype Desktop version is more accessible than the modern app, but I could easily have that flip-flopped.

--

~ Anton Chekhov

if you use skype for desktop and you move to another application and
return to skype again and it does not work, just press alt to open
menu bars then press scape to close it and yuse brows mode in desktop
skype.

On 3/24/21, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@shaw.ca> wrote:
Hello all,

I need to use Skype for a possible new job. However, when I start it, I
don't get any speech. I have tried going in and out of browse mode, and
still there is nothing. Would someone mind giving me some quick tips and/or
pointing me towards an ad-on? I looked on the NVDA add-on site and just
found one. I'm not sure how modern it is. I am using Win10 and the latest
NVDA.

Thanks,

Janet

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

JM Casey

No, you’re right – and so long as there’s still an installable desktop version, I’m willing to bet it’ll always be better than the “modern universal app” or whatever they’re called.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: March 24, 2021 02:51 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Skype with NVDA

Janet,

--

~ Anton Chekhov

Chris Mullins

Hi Janet

I am no Skype expert but I have been using it for the past lockdown year to keep in touch with my friends.  How do you open Skype?  I press the Windows key to open the search box, type in "skype" (without quotes).   In the list of results, the skype app is at the top and I press enter on it.

I don't understand why NVDA would go silent when an app opens other than you have a NVDA config which silences it somehow.  Check if you have a config profile for skype and get rid of it if there is one.   

I don't know of any Skype related add-ons, there may be some but I use Skype successfully without them

Do you have a Skype account, you should automatically have one if you have a Microsoft account and should be able to sign into Skype with your microsoft userid or the email address you have registered with your MS A/c.

Check these things out first, then we can have another look.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 March 2021 18:21
Subject: [nvda] Using Skypewith NVDA

Hello all,

I need to use Skype for a possible new job. However, when I start it, I don’t get any speech. I have tried going in and out of browse mode, and still there is nothing. Would someone mind giving me some quick tips and/or pointing me towards an ad-on? I looked on the NVDA add-on site and just found one. I’m not sure how modern it is. I am using Win10 and the latest NVDA.

Thanks,

Janet

Sarah k Alawami

Try alt and alt again. It is a chromium bug which I thought they fixed. Join my skype group which you can search for at groups.io. Search for skype english, and ask your question there. We have about 500 users who are willing to help and who have more knowledge than I.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 24 Mar 2021, at 11:20, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

And because Skype questions come up so frequently, here is the information for Sarah's Skype Group:

Skype English for Screen Reader Users

This is a group  for discussing skype and its interface using screen reading technology such as jaws, NVDA, voiceover and talkback.

--

~ Anton Chekhov

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

Thank you to whoever suggested pressing the Alt twice when opening Skype, it’s talking now! I think I’m going to join the Skype group … I have no idea what I’m doing, LOL.

Janet