Topics

addressing emails in Thunderbird in NVDA

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I read the help page about this and it said to press enter after each address I entered in the to: field. However, when I try to send the email it comes back with an error and has all the email addresses as one long string instead of using it as individual addresses.

How do I address an email to multiple people using NVDA? I realize this may not be an NVDA issue but I am hoping there is some trick to doing this in NVDA.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

well you can put 1 address then in the cc field put all address seperated by a ,.
Or in the to field put address 1,address2 and so on.

On 4/04/2016 7:40 a.m., Dan Beaver wrote:
Hi,

I read the help page about this and it said to press enter after each
address I entered in the to: field. However, when I try to send the
email it comes back with an error and has all the email addresses as one
long string instead of using it as individual addresses.

How do I address an email to multiple people using NVDA? I realize this
may not be an NVDA issue but I am hoping there is some trick to doing
this in NVDA.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Adrián Mena

Hello, you are right, the enter after each email should work, please
check that you are in the right line, it should be the one near the
subject line. In addition, Thunderberd has some other options as for,
cc, and bc, something like that, with those you can send emails to
different people without leting others know, you can get to those
lines using shift+tap, and them using the erros.
Hope it helps.

--
W= F x D "Carpe diem"

Gene

First, you shouldn't place multiple addresses in the address line nor should you use the cc field unless you want others to know who got the message such as in a business or organization context.  If you are simply sending a message to a group of people and there is no reason for them to know who else received the message, use the BCC field.  Many people object to their e-mail addresses being splattered all over the internet.  Also, in such cases, place your address in the to line.  That will mean that you will get a copy of the message but that is not why it is done.  It is done to keep other peoples' addresses private.
There is no trick with NVDA nor should there be.  Screen-readers should not provide ways of doing something that can be done well by a blind user in a program.

I don't know why you are having the problem you describe.  Knowing every step you are following might allow me or someone else to know.

However, if you download and listen to this presentation excerpt, which is me explaining how to place contacts in messages in Thunderbird and control which field they are placed in, it may solve your problem as well as allow you to place addresses in the BCC field.

Gene

I read the help page about this and it said to press enter after each
address I entered in the to: field.  However, when I try to send the
email it comes back with an error and has all the email addresses as one
long string instead of using it as individual addresses.

How do I address an email to multiple people using NVDA?  I realize this
may not be an NVDA issue but I am hoping there is some trick to doing
this in NVDA.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Ron Canazzi

Hi Dan,

What I do is to put the addresses in my address book and then open the address book and use the classic mark move and select keystrokes (control + shift to move and space bar) to select addresses. Another way is once you have the addresses in your address book, make sure the address bar is shown in your view and layout settings in Thunderbird settings and then open a new message and back tab till you see the list of addresses. Then use the associated key strokes as you move up/down the list alt + A for To field, alt + C for CC field and Alt + B for BCC fields. Then tab to the subject and body and follow normal procedures.

On 4/3/2016 3:40 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Hi,

I read the help page about this and it said to press enter after each address I entered in the to: field. However, when I try to send the email it comes back with an error and has all the email addresses as one long string instead of using it as individual addresses.

How do I address an email to multiple people using NVDA? I realize this may not be an NVDA issue but I am hoping there is some trick to doing this in NVDA.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.