From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 10:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is any one had the following browser problem with nvda?

A regular user command prompt will launch in your home directory.

C:\Users\YourUserName>

The elevated prompt will launch in something like:

C:\Windows\System32>

Just press enter after the prompt launches, and you'll hear what directory
you're in as part of the prompt.

Also, an elevated one should hit you with a UAC dialog before it starts.

Luke

Chris Smart wrote:

Hmm, the prompt is not looking any different no matter what I add to
Enter.
what am I missing?

Hi,

PowerShell replacing Command Prompt: it’s been like this since 1703 days.

Cheers,

Joseph

On 2021-04-24 10:03 a.m., Greg Epley wrote:
Far less keystrokes and not having to remember whether one needs Ctrl and/or Shift with Enter is WindowsKey+X to pop open the Start menu, followed by "A" as in "Admin", then Alt+Y to respond Yes to the UAC prompt. The resulting window title says "Administrator:" to indicate you're in an elevated command window. This will work unless one has perhaps configured their Start menu to show more items than I prefer; I deliberately keep mine as bare bones as possible since I prefer other shortcut methods to launch items. I use the same Start menu shortcut key and single letters to perform restarts, shutdowns or other common operations with less keystrokes. The specific letters one needs should be spoken by most screen readers unless the screen reader has been set not to report such aids, which would only be advisable for very advanced Windows users.

-Greg Epley

On 4/24/2021 12:58 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
Hmm, the prompt is not looking any different no matter what I add to Enter. what am I missing?

How can I tell I've launched the elevated prompt?

On 2021-04-23 7:58 p.m., Richard Wells wrote:
I Have to press SHIFT+CONTROL+ENTER to get the elevated prompt from the
run dialog.

On 4/23/2021 3:09 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Jackie, at least in 20H2, that no longer seems to work. I noticed it
in passing last week, and just checked again per your comment.

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

Chris Smart

Greg Epley <greg.epley64@...>

On 2021-04-24 1:04 a.m., Jackie wrote:
Chris, invoke the run dialog. Type cmd then hit control shift enter.
You'll get a UAC popup, to which you'll need to answer yes (alt y) to
get the elevated command prompt. Once that's done, if you press insert
t, you'll hear something similar, if not identical to, "administrator
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe."

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

Chris Smart

ah ok. got it. I already have UAC turned to minimum so didn't see the dialog.

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

Richard Wells

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

Gary Metzler

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the instructions they are very helpful.  You’re the best.