Petition · open source ETI-Eloquence

Chris Smart

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

So far as I know, Microsoft did buy out Nuance, but the voices did not go to Microsoft, they were spun off to Cerence I believe. I do hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Luke Davis

Nimer Jaber wrote:

So far as I know, Microsoft did buy out Nuance, but the voices did not go to Microsoft, they were spun off to Cerence I believe. I do hope someone corrects
me if I'm wrong.
That is also how I heard it--they only wanted the recognition technology, so they could kick Cortana out of the apartment.

Luke

"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

So far as I know, Microsoft did buy out Nuance, but the voices did not go to Microsoft, they were spun off to Cerence I believe. I do hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Monte Single

Hi Luke,

You wrote;
" they only wanted the recognition technology, so they could kick Cortana
out of the apartment".

I do not use Kortana, and do not plan to; however, what's the Kortana
apartment thing.
Will it move to a condo, townhouse?

Please note, I refer to Kortana as "it".
I feel the need to have Kortana, Siri, Alexa, Google assistant and all such
machines
Legally declared as its.
I use these things frequently, but it really disturbs me when I hear a
device say;
"I don't understand."

This is totally wrong. I think the genie is already out of the bottle.

I know, I'm way off topic?

Cheers,

Monte

So far as I know, Microsoft did buy out Nuance, but the voices did not
go to Microsoft, they were spun off to Cerence I believe. I do hope
someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

That is also how I heard it--they only wanted the recognition technology, so
they could kick Cortana out of the apartment.

Luke

"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not
got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Hope Williamson

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

Gene

Your assumption is unsupported.  As was said here by another member,, Microsoft bought the company for its speech recognition software.  Microsoft has ;purchased companies before to aquire software they want to further develop and integrate into Windows.

You seem to assume that most acquisitions are for suppression.  While I would think some are to eliminate competition, that can hardly be assumed.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 09:48 AM, Gene wrote:
Microsoft bought the company for its speech recognition software.  Microsoft has ;purchased companies before to aquire software they want to further develop and integrate into Windows.
-
The antecedent to the "patent troll" comment would have been, "cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence."

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Chris Smart

I amazed Skype still exists.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

Hope Williamson

It isn't really a matter of what the purpose is. the result is usually
consolidation, which most often ends with something or another getting
done away with. That's usually part of whatever got acquired, or all of
it in most cases.

Hope Williamson

Here are some good examples of acquisitions that resulted in shutdowns. Twitter acquired a blogging platform in 2012.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/12/2865638/twitter-acquires-posterous-blogging-platform

They shut it down a year later.

https://www.techradar.com/news/internet/twitter-to-shut-down-posterous-blogging-service-on-april-30-1131657

Twitter did the same with Vine, which was a video sharing app. They acquired it in 2013.

https://marketingland.com/twitter-acquires-vine-launches-ios-app-for-sharing-6-second-videos-31630

It took about 3 years, but what was left of  Vine still got killed.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/27/twitter-is-shutting-down-vine/

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

Hope Williamson

Yeah, I'm also amazed Skype is still around.

On 4/28/2021 7:23 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I amazed Skype still exists.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

Sarah k Alawami

Don't forget twitter baught periscope then shut it down march 31 of this year. Apple baught beats, then shut it down, this was I think 2011 to about 2013 or so.

Take care

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

Gene

I didn’t say that companies don’t aquire other companies to shut them down but they aquire companies for all sorts of reasons.  They may want specific products or technology the company owns.  They may want to use technology from the company in their own products.  I’m saying that you can’t assume what a company will do because it aquires something.  You need to know something about the companies and why the aquiring company wants it.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

mk360

Yeah, but we have good examples of companies that was acquired by others too and continue working. Facebook acquired instagram and whatsapp and these two apps are still existing. Microsoft (the one about we are speaking) acquired github and it is working fine, same about skype. Oracle acquired sum microsystems and Java still exist.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 05:10 PM, Gene wrote:
You need to know something about the companies and why the acquiring company wants it.
-
Yep.  Mergers and acquisitions are done for a wide variety of reasons.  It's certainly not accurate to say that they are all based in the desire to "consolidate power" and knock-off the competition.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Hope Williamson

The strange thing about the Twitter Periscope thing was that it was a prelaunch acquisition. I mean, we could go all the way back to the Facebook FriendFeed thing, if necessary.

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Probably doesn't do any development at all. Most likely will be just a patent troll.

On 4/28/2021 1:43 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Yep, Microsoft bought Nuance, and cerence is a new company, which develops all old good nuance products, including text to speech synthesizers like vocalizer and eloquence.

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Nimer,I think your correct on that one.

Hope Williamson wrote:

Yeah, I'm also amazed Skype is still around.
Since I think Teams does something similar, it's probably only a matter of time.

The creators of Skype went on to create Wire, which is supposed to be a secure alternative to Skype, since MS doesn't encrypt Skype calls and such.

Last time I tested Wire with NVDA, it was minimally accessible, but I believe I was able to make and receive calls after some fiddling. But that was a couple years ago.

Luke

Hope Williamson

I've used the Wire web interface with NVDA, but that was just for text
chatting, and it was a while ago.