Improving accessibility of Spotify for desktop

Marco Oros

Hello.

I don't know, where to post It. I'll try to post It here.

Maybe You know about Spotify. New interface is better accessible, than this previous. I think to Spotify for desktop. Sometimes NVDA don't read everything on Spotify, for example playlist view in 'Your library' ETC. Similar thing is with moving playlists to folders, althought with new interface Spotify's accessibility is better.

I don't know, how to programm, but please somebody make Spotify for desktop accessible with NVDA. It is very good software.

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

Paul Faucheux

hi marco this is paul faucheux. with regards to spotify the interface is verry easy to use with nvda. what are you having trouble with. i can help you off list. i can be reached at pf112781@... or 985-400-3787

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 12:07 PM Marco Oros <marco.oros93@...> wrote:
Hello.

I don't know, where to post It. I'll try to post It here.

Maybe You know about Spotify. New interface is better accessible, than
this previous. I think to Spotify for desktop. Sometimes NVDA don't read
everything on Spotify, for example playlist view in 'Your library' ETC.
Similar thing is with moving playlists to folders, althought with new
interface Spotify's accessibility is better.

I don't know, how to programm, but please somebody make Spotify for
desktop accessible with NVDA. It is very good software.

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

Sarah k Alawami

They already have a layout you can get ot that is fully accessible. I forgot how to do it but you need to edit a CFG file. My BF told me about it and I've seen him use it with no issues. I've been using spotify since 2017 in electron mode and it is grate.

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 6 May 2021, at 10:06, Marco Oros wrote:

Hello.

I don't know, where to post It. I'll try to post It here.

Maybe You know about Spotify. New interface is better accessible, than this previous. I think to Spotify for desktop. Sometimes NVDA don't read everything on Spotify, for example playlist view in 'Your library' ETC. Similar thing is with moving playlists to folders, althought with new interface Spotify's accessibility is better.

I don't know, how to programm, but please somebody make Spotify for desktop accessible with NVDA. It is very good software.

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

Marco Oros

I know about It, but I have for example problem with playlist view.

Also, in My computer this interface is actually default.

Playlists are viewed in left, but not at 'Your library' section.

Dňa 6. 5. 2021 o 23:57 Sarah k Alawami napísal(a):

[...]

Hi people, I am back in this thread.

After new update, Spotify's playlist view in Your library is accessed very well.

Also, I need some people, some blind users, who will register in Spotify community and vote for My accessible ideas for Spotify, or create another ideas to vote for. There are not many votes to get It to Spotify. I will be happy, if Spotify will be more accessible for the blind, like It is.

Dňa 7. 5. 2021 o 0:08 Marco Oros via groups.io napísal(a):

[...]

Gene

Have things changed?  A number of years ago, Spotify’s position was that accessibility wasn’t their responsibility.  One or two blind developers created accessibility solutions they sold for Spotify.  Spotify did become more accessible when they released an entirely redesigned interface, but that was unintended and coincidental improvement.

If their position has changed, that would be good to know.  If it hasn’t, I doubt that having a little more clamor on the community site will make any difference.  The community site is where users discuss things.  A few more blind people talking about accessibility isn’t going to convince management of anything.

[...]

To clarify, I don’t mean they sold their solutions in any relationship with Spotify.  There were completely independent and Spotify had no interest in the solutions.

Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 6:06 AM

[...]

Sorry to write this post lately, but playlist interface at 'Your library' finally works with screen reader NVDA.

I have contacted developers of Spotify and they solved It.

Dňa 18. 5. 2021 o 13:08 Gene napísal(a):

Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 6:06 AM

[...]

Hello again. I am here after long time.

After update of Spotify, the mouse cursor isn't says sometimes anything, when I would like to move somewhere. It is very bad to me, because I can't move playlists, playlist folders or songs in playlists.

I think, that NVDA will soon need some add-on to improve those things.

Dňa 18. 5. 2021 o 12:47 Marco Oros via groups.io napísal(a):

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

On the other hand much like Team viewer, and dropbox, maybe the authors of these programs and web interfaces need to get their ttesting the accessibility right before they go live with a new version. Ahem. Perhaps we need some kind of list of second line or accessibility support points of contact for an many of these often updated services as possible.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

<http://www.tffppodcast.com>

Our discord <http://tiny.cc/d-tffp> is where you will know when we
go live on twitch. <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum> Feel free to give the
channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main
lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page
<http://lbry.tv/@tffp> You will also be able to buy some of my
products and eBooks there.
Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.
<http://happs.tv/@ke7zum>

On 6 May 2021, at 10:06, Marco Oros wrote:

Hello.

I don't know, where to post It. I'll try to post It here.

Maybe You know about Spotify. New interface is better
accessible, than this previous. I think to Spotify for desktop.
Sometimes NVDA don't read everything on Spotify, for example
playlist view in 'Your library' ETC. Similar thing is with
moving playlists to folders, althought with new interface
Spotify's accessibility is better.

I don't know, how to programm, but please somebody make Spotify
for desktop accessible with NVDA. It is very good software.

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

Sharni-Lee Ward

Discord solved the problem of moving servers and channels around in your list by using ctrl+D to pick up and Enter to put down. I would definitely like a similar feature in Spotify so I could actually make Playlist Folders to sort all my playlists for fanfiction ideas from playlists to listen to while writing and playlists of favourites within a certain genre.

I haven't the faintest idea of who to ask about this, but I would like to be able to adjust the order of songs in a playlist (I've messed up said order before to my chagrin), and also to move playlists into folders. Spotify is not exactly the most scrupulous company, so I suppose we'd have to make an addon for that...

On 21/07/2022 5:32 pm, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
On the other hand much like Team viewer, and dropbox, maybe the authors of these programs and web interfaces need to get their ttesting the accessibility right before they go live with a new version. Ahem. Perhaps we need some kind of list of second line or accessibility support points of contact for an many of these often updated services as possible.
Brian

Sarah k Alawami

Try contacting them and making that suggestion, I like that idea. I’m a discord user. Salesforce did something similar. You hit space to rearrange the item, move it to where you want it to be then hit space to drop it. It’s quite neat.  Any of those would work re Spotify IMHO.

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,
You'd actually be very surprised at the effort Spotify has been putting into accessibility recently. An email / community forum topic may actually get this sorted a lot easier than you think. As it happens, moving playlists can still be done with NVDA's drag and drop commands but it isn't really a perfectly viable option. With playlists that contain a lot of songs actually scrolling through them can be an incredible pain since focus seems to be dragged down to a random spot unless you've found a way around this I'm not aware of. This is still no excuse for their actions.
That being said, if we're going to mention accessibility or the lack thereof, it wasn't too long ago that discord was almost completely unusable. Deafen, mute, disconnect buttons were all unlabeled for years, most buttons and switches weren't readable and by and large it was a huge mess. A few *years* later, they finally started making improvements and I'm happy about that, but it took a lot of pressure and a lot of people mentioning them on twitter.
But I can reliably say without a doubt spotify is working on accessibility and fixing things, slowly but surely. I'd be more than happy to upvote anything you post in that regard and comment with anything that might help in the community.
thanks