Password overload!

ely.r@...

Evening you NVDA experts.

I am overwhelmed by the numbers of passwords needed to do my work. I have to many little Word files each with a secret spell to enter some web site or to start a program. I know there are password managers that promise to ease my anxiety, but I have no idea which of them to trust.

So, good doctors out there, does anyone use a reliable password manager that is accessible to NVDA, easy to use and will not send all those secret words out into the Ethernet.

Will your suggestions   be based on at least three months of experience, will your suggested manager work in most situations demanding a PW, and will it be easy to edit when needed?

Yes, I know there are drugs for anxiety. I am using those already. They have not fixed the password challenge.

Best, Rick and General, Guide Dog Extraordinaire ,

Sarah k Alawami

I use and love 1password. I tried last pass but could not import my stuff due to me being on the mac and it tfailing on windows.

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 6 May 2021, at 15:44, ely.r@... wrote:

Evening you NVDA experts.

I am overwhelmed by the numbers of passwords needed to do my work. I have to many little Word files each with a secret spell to enter some web site or to start a program. I know there are password managers that promise to ease my anxiety, but I have no idea which of them to trust.

So, good doctors out there, does anyone use a reliable password manager that is accessible to NVDA, easy to use and will not send all those secret words out into the Ethernet.

Will your suggestions   be based on at least three months of experience, will your suggested manager work in most situations demanding a PW, and will it be easy to edit when needed?

Yes, I know there are drugs for anxiety. I am using those already. They have not fixed the password challenge.

Best, Rick and General, Guide Dog Extraordinaire ,

The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Thomas N. Chan

I use 1password since january. Some of the people even way longer than I do..
1password is rather secure and rely by fortune 100 company.
I have more than 300 over login and its like 16 to 50 characters.
I use to use this program call password agent by moonsoft but it became inaccessible and its only useable in windows.
1password allows a lot of platform like android, IOS and windows. unlimited logon if you have that much of devices to log on. It will sync across if you made changes in one platform.
You can store on other cloud storage beside 1password itself, like dropbox.
You can even tighten the security by using a token key.

On top of it, they are willing to make them, accessible for screen reader users like on voiceover, talkback or even windows etc.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:06 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jackie

Hi Rick. I hope Mr. Vogel & Mr. Jaber won't view this as overt
commercial exploitation, as it does specifically address a need you
expressed in your initial post.

1st, I love Keepass (note the spelling lol). Perfectly accessible
w/NVDA. It's available from www.keepass.info. Meets all the
specifications you set forth.

Next, might I suggest that an article written by me a few years back
might prove helpful in terms of password management. I hope you find
it helpful.
www.brightstarsweb.com/protect-yourself-with-passwords-or-pay

Good luck to you & General.

The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1KxGgYF6qBMfvMg40XEgFUdGj6NZn4wLZ
)

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Nimer Jaber

Hello Jackie,

Nothing wrong with your post at all, and taking a look at your blog, there is nothing in that blog that seems misguided. Thank you for posting!

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
Hi Rick. I hope Mr. Vogel & Mr. Jaber won't view this as overt
commercial exploitation, as it does specifically address a need you
expressed in your initial post.

1st, I love Keepass (note the spelling lol). Perfectly accessible
w/NVDA. It's available from www.keepass.info. Meets all the
specifications you set forth.

Next, might I suggest that an article written by me a few years back
might prove helpful in terms of password management. I hope you find
it helpful.
www.brightstarsweb.com/protect-yourself-with-passwords-or-pay

Good luck to you & General.

> The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords (
> https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1KxGgYF6qBMfvMg40XEgFUdGj6NZn4wLZ
> )
> --
>
> Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
>
> Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
> you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.
>
> ~ Richard M. Nixon

Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Jackie

Hopefully, after very nearly 30 years of doing this, Nimer, I have
something worthwhile to contribute, else I've really wasted a
tremendous amount of time.

The article really shows how some very decidedly nontechnical folks
were nonetheless able to devise password schemes that pinned the
strongometer. Hopefully it will provide some grist for the mill for
others in that regard.

I'm glad you considered my articles informative.

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Jackie <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR
by
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for
Windows, visit nvaccess.org <http://www.nvda-project.org>

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
(393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Hope Williamson

I've started using Bitwarden recently https://bitwarden.com. So far, it's working well.

On 5/6/2021 3:54 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Greg Epley <greg.epley64@...>

I can't vouch for NVDA, but have been using 1Password with JAWS since 2018 or so. I used to use LastPass since it was free, but grew tired of the different ways I had to access it depending on what browser I was using, and finally decided a paid option was preferable.

For the most part, whichever password manager you go with should work under most decent screen readers so long as the password manager is coded with standard OS function. In other words, isn't coded in "eye candy" style for sighted users, like all those iTunes helpers for Windows. I can't say I've had too many problems getting to anything in 1Password, other than when doing an edit on a login, where I've found if I tab one too many times, I suddenly can't get back to any earlier point. My workaround for that has been to either not tab one too many times, or else shift-tab backward up through fields. It's a bit crazy, but it works, and there's always the option of using a web browser to edit entries. However, having said all that, my experience has been that once you get a login set up properly, there's rarely any need to edit a login. Kind of a set it and forget it sort of thing.

I LOVE the 1Password app for iPhone, especially with FaceID. I was previously having to type in my master password on the phone, but now, most times, all I need do is let FaceID do its thing and I'm in and moving along.

-Greg Epley

On 5/6/2021 6:44 PM, ely.r@... wrote:

Evening you NVDA experts.

I am overwhelmed by the numbers of passwords needed to do my work. I have to many little Word files each with a secret spell to enter some web site or to start a program. I know there are password managers that promise to ease my anxiety, but I have no idea which of them to trust.

So, good doctors out there, does anyone use a reliable password manager that is accessible to NVDA, easy to use and will not send all those secret words out into the Ethernet.

Will your suggestions   be based on at least three months of experience, will your suggested manager work in most situations demanding a PW, and will it be easy to edit when needed?

Yes, I know there are drugs for anxiety. I am using those already. They have not fixed the password challenge.

Best, Rick and General, Guide Dog Extraordinaire ,

Greg Wocher

Hello,
I currently use the family version of LastPass. The app on the iPhone is really good but the windows version is not the greatest. I’ve been thinking of switching but I have been a LastPass customer for several years.

Greg Wocher

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 07:05 AM, Greg Epley wrote:
For the most part, whichever password manager you go with should work under most decent screen readers so long as the password manager is coded with standard OS function. In other words, isn't coded in "eye candy" style for sighted users, like all those iTunes helpers for Windows.
-
Which is one of the reasons I continue to recommend Password Safe (https://pwsafe.org) and its ports/clones for Android and iOS.

I keep my encrypted safe file on Google Drive, and that's what's accessed from all of my Windows machines as well as my Android smartphone.  Any change I make anywhere is reflected everywhere else as a result.

It's not the prettiest of the bunch, but the Windows interface is accessible.  I've never played with the Android interface under TalkBack, but given how standard it looks I doubt it would not be accessible.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon