Problem with installing NVDA - Computer rebooting

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:44 AM, Gene wrote:
I agree with Brian that registry cleaners should not be used unless there is reason to believe a problem is a registry problem
-
And I'm responding to this only to emphasize:  They should NEVER, EVER be used.  There is not a single qualified computer technician out there who will recommend their use.  And for very good reasons most of which are detailed in the write-ups I previously gave links to.

Registry problems are very, very, very rare indeed.  And most come from one of two things:  unskilled editing of the registry or the use of registry cleaners/optimizers.

There is zero chance that what has occurred is an NVDA problem.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene

I agree with Brian that registry cleaners should not be used unless there is reason to believe a problem is a registry problem and if so, I think the problem should be asked about anyway first much of the time because those with technical knowledge may suggest other solutions that might be better tried first.

If Brians suggestions don’t help,, or if you want to try this first, do you have a reversion program such as System Restore or something else available?  Also, is there an event after which the problem started such as a Windows update or running a registry cleaner or something else, even an improper shut down?

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:00 AM
Subject: [nvda] Problem with installing NVDA - Computer rebooting

Hello all,

My apologies for the long post that will follow, but I am aiming to provide as much information as possible.

I am using an Intel I9 processor, 32 GB RAM and the motherboard is an Asus Z390m-Plus. I am also using Windows 10 Version 20H2.

Recently my NVDA when starting would reboot my system. I attempted to re-install NVDA with no success and the computer would reboot just after the initial melody and the three rising pitched tones. I attempted to uninstall and then use a clean install of NVDA with the same result.

Tried to install with the --install-silent flag and with the same result.

Use CCleaner to go through any registry and no change to the rebooting at the start of the installation.
Also attempted to install using a different audio card with no change.

If there are any ideas what I can do to rectify this I would appreciate suggestions.

thanks and regards
Mark Muscat

Mark,

First, ditch CCleaner or any registry cleaner or optimizer.  They are snake oil at best and can trigger issues precisely like the one you're having, or worse, at worst.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

Why you should NOT use Registry Cleaners (on answers.microsoft.com)

Next, try the following and report back afterward.  Even if SFC were to report no issues, still run DISM anyway: Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Report back afterward.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Mark Muscat