Can I please have some help with my speaking rate?

That should have been version and build numbers for Windows 10.  I'm using a new-to-me machine and still don't have the touchpad settings worked out yet and end up accidentally inserting stuff in random places if I accidentally move my insertion point.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Edited

It would be very helpful to have additional information:

1.  Version of Windows and, if Windows 10, the Build number as well as whether it's Home or Pro.
2.  The version of NVDA, which is most likely 2020.4, but it still helps to know.
3.  The synthesizer and voice being used, which can be found in Speech settings:  NVDA+N,P,S then either down arrow once to speech, or hit an additional S to get there.  Tab over into the pane and look at what settings are set to, including whether the checkbox for Rate Boost is checked (and it probably isn't).

I use only OneCore voices, and have never had an issue with slowness.  That being said, the rate at which many blind users are accustomed to listening to speech makes my head spin, and a rate typical of normal spoken speech is considered very slow indeed by many.
--

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Hi,

I see. To check which speech synthesizer you are using, press Control+Insert+S, then listen carefully to what NVDA says.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lexi
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 8:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I please have some help with my speaking rate?

I only found a few voices when I went into the NVDA menu. Around four or five of them actually. I chose the Hazel voice. I haven't tried that. Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,

Lexi 

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 9:59 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

I think I know the answer, but are you perhaps using the default voice that comes with Windows? If so (Windows OneCore), try enabling rate boost (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Speech).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 7:56 PM

No, I didn't even know that was a thing. I just started using NVDA a few days ago when my Jaws license expired. please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,

Lexi 

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 9:49 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

The standard first question (or one of them):  Have you run the NVDA COM Registration Fixing Tool?
--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene

Slow speech isn’t related to the registry fixing tool.  It won’t do any harm to run it but it won’t help the problem.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 10:00 PM

See Also:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

The keystrokes to run the COM Registration Fixing Tool:  NVDA+N,T,R followed by hitting Enter and following the prompts.  Do not let the prompts rattle you, as they can sound dire to the uninitiated, just respond in the affirmative and allow the tool to run.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene

If you are using One Core voices, I’ve seen some sort of discussion before about how you can speed them up.  I don’t recall what was said but if you open the voice dialog, control NVDA key v, and you tab around, do you get to a check box for rate boost?  Check it with the space bar than tab to and activate the ok button.  But before that, set your speech rate much lower than it is.  Then check the rate boost checkbox and activate the ok button.  I don’t know how fast your speech will be so I’m saying to slow it down a good deal first so you don’t have a rate that is so fast that you can’t understand it.  Perhaps twenty or thirty would be a good rate before turning on rate boost.  I believe some synthesizers don’t have rate boost but try it if yours does.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 9:56 PM

No, I didn't even know that was a thing. I just started using NVDA a few days ago when my Jaws license expired. please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi
The standard first question (or one of them):  Have you run the NVDA COM Registration Fixing Tool?
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

~ Richard M. Nixon

Lexi

I only found a few voices when I went into the NVDA menu. Around four or five of them actually. I chose the Hazel voice. I haven't tried that. Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi 

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 9:59 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

I think I know the answer, but are you perhaps using the default voice that comes with Windows? If so (Windows OneCore), try enabling rate boost (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Speech).

Cheers,

Joseph

Lexi 

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

See Also:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

The keystrokes to run the COM Registration Fixing Tool:  NVDA+N,T,R followed by hitting Enter and following the prompts.  Do not let the prompts rattle you, as they can sound dire to the uninitiated, just respond in the affirmative and allow the tool to run.
--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Lexi 

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Lexi

Lexi 

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Lexi

Hello everyone, may I please have some help adjusting my speech rate? NVDA says it's at 100%, but it's still speaking very slowly. Any help that you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi