Numpad Nav Mode add-on updated for 2021.1 compatibility!

Luke Davis

Louise Pfau wrote:

Hi. I've got Add-on Updater installed. Will it recognize the update to Numpad Nav Mode?
Not yet, but when the first beta of NVDA 2021.1 comes out, Add-on Updater itself will update, and this will likely be included then.

I was probably a little premature announcing this here, since most on this list don't run alphas so wouldn't have had a problem with the previous version of the add-on.

Luke

Hi all,

Rest assured that add-on developers are working hard to prepare their add-ons for NVDA 2021.1, and Add-on Updater is no exception. I expect a flood of add-on updates will occur shortly after beta 1 is released. Due to changes in NvDA that will affect Add-on updater itself, I expect it will be one of the first add-ons to be updated to support the next NVDA release – I’ll provide more details once the next version of Add-on Updater is released, the version compatible with NVDA 2021.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 3:53 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Numpad Nav Mode add-on updated for 2021.1 compatibility!

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 06:31 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:

Add-on Updater . . .  Will it recognize the update to Numpad Nav Mode?

-
Yes.   

My understanding is that 2020.4 will recognize anything compatible with a later version as compatible with it, but that when 2021.1 arrives it will not recognize as compatible anything not explicitly annotated as such.

My expectation is that we'll end up having a few burps because add-ons annotated as compatible up to 2020.4, but that should be entirely compatible with 2021.1, will be flagged because their manifests (the thing where compatibility with specific NVDA versions is designated by the authors and checked by NVDA itself) will not necessarily have been updated yet.

In the end, there's nothing any end user can do to fix this beyond reporting something being flagged as incompatible when 2021.1 is officially released, or better yet when its beta version(s) and release candidate(s) are released so that everything is cleaned up before the full release.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 06:31 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
Add-on Updater . . .  Will it recognize the update to Numpad Nav Mode?
-
Yes.   

My understanding is that 2020.4 will recognize anything compatible with a later version as compatible with it, but that when 2021.1 arrives it will not recognize as compatible anything not explicitly annotated as such.

My expectation is that we'll end up having a few burps because add-ons annotated as compatible up to 2020.4, but that should be entirely compatible with 2021.1, will be flagged because their manifests (the thing where compatibility with specific NVDA versions is designated by the authors and checked by NVDA itself) will not necessarily have been updated yet.

In the end, there's nothing any end user can do to fix this beyond reporting something being flagged as incompatible when 2021.1 is officially released, or better yet when its beta version(s) and release candidate(s) are released so that everything is cleaned up before the full release.
--

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Louise Pfau

Hi. I've got Add-on Updater installed. Will it recognize the update to Numpad Nav Mode?

Thanks,

Louise

JinYoun

Ah ha, got it.
Thank you very much for this clarification.

On 5/23/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
NVDA 2021.1 has not yet been released.  If you're on 2020.4 you have the
latest production release.

Luke was just letting people know that this add-on he created has already
been checked out and is definitely compatible with NVDA 2021.1 (as
development snapshots of same have been around for quite a while now).

I suspect part of his reason for posting (and I could be wrong) was in
response to my Admin Notice on 5/21/2021: Be prepared for some bumps in the
NVDA road - Major Change is coming . . . (
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/be_prepared_for_some_bumps_in/82992978?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,82992978
)

All add-on developers are going to have to do the work necessary to make
sure their add-ons are identified as being compatible with NVDA 2021.1 if
they actually are.  None will just "carry over as being compatible" because
there are some major changes to the NVDA code that are occurring.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

NVDA 2021.1 has not yet been released.  If you're on 2020.4 you have the latest production release.

Luke was just letting people know that this add-on he created has already been checked out and is definitely compatible with NVDA 2021.1 (as development snapshots of same have been around for quite a while now).

I suspect part of his reason for posting (and I could be wrong) was in response to my Admin Notice on 5/21/2021:  Be prepared for some bumps in the NVDA road - Major Change is coming . . .

All add-on developers are going to have to do the work necessary to make sure their add-ons are identified as being compatible with NVDA 2021.1 if they actually are.  None will just "carry over as being compatible" because there are some major changes to the NVDA code that are occurring.
--

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

JinYoun

Love this add-on!!! Finally allowed me to enjoy using my logitek K780 keyboard.
Thank you so much!

Just checked my version of NVDA and it is 2020.4... Should I update my version of NVDA?

Again, thank you.

Luke Davis

Hi all

To anyone who has been, or wants to start, using the Numpad Nav Mode add-on: it has now been updated to verify compatibility with NVDA 2021.1. It therefore works with latest alphas, and will work with the upcoming beta.

Updated version available at:

https://github.com/opensourcesys/numpadNavMode/releases/download/1.4/numpadNavMode-1.4.nvda-addon

It will be updated on the NVDA add-ons site after beta is released.

If you are not familiar with this add-on, here is a brief description:

This add-on allows switching the numpad between NVDA navigation mode, and Windows navigation mode.
This can be especially useful for laptop users who prefer laptop mode, but who have a numpad and want to use it for arrow keys, page up/down, and home/end.
It may also be valuable for desktop users coming from JAWS, who prefer commands like NumpadInsert+Numpad2 for read to end.
And since the mode can be changed with a keypress (Alt+NVDA+NumpadPlus, by default), the numpad can easily be used for object navigation or review when desired.

Enjoy!

Luke