Problem with Weather Plus Addon

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 09:36 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I never saw anything on the weather add on specifically.  That's why I posted my message.  I do agree that people should be specific as to what they are talking about.  this problem caused me to be confused and post an unnecessary message in the first place.
-
And this is a perfect example of how one problem, non-specific titles, can directly contribute to another, repeat topics within a very short time span.

Believe me when I say that I can understand, entirely, how a generic title can lead to the use of the delete key such that it's never even reviewed in the first place.  That's precisely the reason the group rules and monthly reminder state:  "The topic is the first (and, sometimes, only) thing a member sees and that may be how they decide if they’re going to look further.   Generic titles such as, “Weird Problem,” or “Help Me!,” are not helpful because they give no idea about what."

But the group continues to have frequent appearances of these three things in particular, that all need to stop:
1. Generic topic titles.   Everyone needs to be giving their topics a title that clearly tells what the issue is - front and center.
2. Repeats of the same topic on the same day or within 24-48 hours of another (and in this case one that had a non-generic title).  I understand that it's very easy to nuke a topic with a generic title and not read it, leading to this very issue.  But most often that's not what's occurring.
3. Repeats of the same answer response, hours to days after the first person who gave that response sent it.  Sometimes, and usually when a topic is new, several people will be typing out the same answer at almost the same time.  This happens, and it's not a problem that can be fixed, nor needs to be fixed, as it's not common.  But when the exact same answer is offered, again and again, hours to days after its first appearance, that clearly indicates that the time was not taken to read through the entirety of an ongoing topic before responding.  The group rules state the following for a very good reason:
Use threaded or conversation view in your e-mail client program or webmail and reading through the entirety of a topic before replying.  It gets you completely up to speed and avoids a lot of repetition.  If you choose not to use threaded/conversation view, please take the time to read through all messages from the group that are in your inbox prior to adding any reply to the group.

It is not unreasonable to expect that every member of this group can and will try their very best to adhere to the rules.  It's also not unreasonable that, when any one of them might happen to "step in it," that this particular lapse be used as a cautionary example by group administration.  It happens all the time and I'm not going to apologize for following what has been standard practice virtually everywhere I've ever been a part of list, group, or forum administration.  None of this is personal; it's how groups are very commonly run.  Whoever it may have been who had a lapse, whether accidental or intentional, should simply resolve not to repeat it.  Life goes on.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I never saw anything on the weather add on specifically.  That's why I posted my message.  I do agree that people should be specific as to what they are talking about.  this problem caused me to be confused and post an unnecessary message in the first place.

On 6/10/2021 6:11 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 05:49 PM, inamuddinInam Uddin wrote:

Whenever I try to search and add my city, it simply says city not found!

Please let me know what can I do?

-
One thing you need to start doing, and all members need to start doing, is to read through what has already been posted on a topic before adding to it.

Ten and a half hours ago, Rui Fontes already answered the precise question you've just asked, again, and in this very topic.  See message #85016.

I am at wit's end at this basic courtesy, and that's what it is, not routinely being followed.
--

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Adriano Barbieri

Hi,
It works, something probably went wrong during the installation.
Try checking in %appdata%\nvda\addons and let them know.

Il 11/06/2021 07:13, Luke Davis ha scritto:

Adriano Barbieri posted the following to the add-ons list today:
You can get his contact information from NVDA's add-ons manager.

Hi to every one,

Download: https://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus8.0.nvda-addon
Note: this package contains incomplete translations, due to delays with the translation system also for the emergency that Weather_Plus 7.7 with Yahoo
Weather API is no longer functional.
Note2: Set the API response language from the add-on settings window, if your language is available.
This thing is experimental, it may be that your language is missing, I know for example the Croatian one is missing, but if it should be unsatisfactory, in the future I will replace it with an internal translatable list.
Feedback is welcome.
Thanks

regards
Adriano

Luke Davis

Adriano Barbieri posted the following to the add-ons list today:
You can get his contact information from NVDA's add-ons manager.

Hi to every one,

Download: https://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus8.0.nvda-addon
Note: this package contains incomplete translations, due to delays with the translation system also for the emergency that Weather_Plus 7.7 with Yahoo
Weather API is no longer functional.
Note2: Set the API response language from the add-on settings window, if your language is available.
This thing is experimental, it may be that your language is missing, I know for example the Croatian one is missing, but if it should be unsatisfactory, in the future I will replace it with an internal translatable list.
Feedback is welcome.
Thanks

regards
Adriano

Gerardo Corripio

Mine updated to version 8.0, for which I needed to add my city again, and it's working great!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE (2nd Generation) de Telcel

El 10 jun 2021, a la(s) 6:33 p.m., Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> escribió:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 07:13 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
It will not be resolved on Yahoo.
-
Which, given the state of Yahoo as an entity, is not surprising.  My second e-mail address outside of work was a Yahoo address.  I still have it, but haven't really used it in years as Yahoo as a whole as been slowly falling apart.

Yahoo is no longer robust.

Thus, we're in a watch and wait state with the Weather Plus Addon.  I'd hope there will be an announcement when it does come "back online." But until then, it's in a twilight state until that alternate API for weather is selected and the code modified to support it.
--

~ Brian Vogel

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 07:13 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
It will not be resolved on Yahoo.
-
Which, given the state of Yahoo as an entity, is not surprising.  My second e-mail address outside of work was a Yahoo address.  I still have it, but haven't really used it in years as Yahoo as a whole as been slowly falling apart.

Yahoo is no longer robust.

Thus, we're in a watch and wait state with the Weather Plus Addon.  I'd hope there will be an announcement when it does come "back online." But until then, it's in a twilight state until that alternate API for weather is selected and the code modified to support it.
--

~ Brian Vogel

Luke Davis

Brian Vogel wrote:

It's an issue with Yahoo, and it may or may not be resolved.
It will not be resolved on Yahoo. If I recall correctly from the addons list, he is working on incorporating some other weather API, and intends to release a new version.

Please follow Rui's advice (which was, basically, don't uninstall; just wait for the new version).

Luke

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 05:49 PM, inamuddinInam Uddin wrote:

-
One thing you need to start doing, and all members need to start doing, is to read through what has already been posted on a topic before adding to it.

Ten and a half hours ago, Rui Fontes already answered the precise question you've just asked, again, and in this very topic.  See message #85016.

I am at wit's end at this basic courtesy, and that's what it is, not routinely being followed.
--

~ Brian Vogel

Ron,

This has already been discussed, today, on the topic I retitled, "Problem with Weather Plus Addon."

It's an issue with Yahoo, and it may or may not be resolved.

I ask you, and all members, to please review existing topics, all of them, that are active in the group before posting new ones on the same issue on the same day.  It's completely unnecessary, and it is up to the members to actually read through what has been offered, first.
--

~ Brian Vogel

inamuddinInam Uddin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 11:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Addon Problem

The Addon in particular is the Weather plus, latest version.

When I attempt to add my own city and press the NVDA-w key nothing happens.

Andrea

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

The wonderful add on from Adriano no longer works. I have over 100 cities set up: one as a permanent default and the others as temporary cities.  Something must have changed with Yahoo because in all 100 Plus cities, I get the error message: "the lo ID is not valid."

I haven't seen anything from Adriano on the NVDA official list for months now. I am wondering if this add on is being developed anymore.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Andrea Sherry

Thanks. Did not realise this.

Andrea

On 10/06/2021 9:09 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
That add-on was based on a Yahoo service.

The service was closed.

We are waiting a new add-on to replace the service...

Do not rmove the actual add-on since many cities could be used by the new system...

Rui Fontes

Às 07:50 de 10/06/2021, Andrea Sherry escreveu:

Andrea

If the original poster wants to take this as an affront, so be it, but it's not meant that way.  Real world examples that serve as "what not to do" examples require comment.  This is one of those.

I keep asking, and the group rules ask, that descriptive (and by that we mean *specifically* descriptive) titles be given.  This topic was started out with the topic, "Addon Problem," but then in the message itself identifies the add-on as Weather Plus.

The specific add-on (or issue - this isn't about just topics on add-ons - it's about picking good topic titles) needs to be clearly identified in the topic title when the topic is started, not require it be edited in later by group administration.

Please, folks, give a title to your topics that clearly, very clearly, indicates what's about to be discussed or asked about in greater detail in the message itself.
--

~ Brian Vogel

Rui Fontes

That add-on was based on a Yahoo service.

The service was closed.

We are waiting a new add-on to replace the service...

Do not rmove the actual add-on since many cities could be used by the new system...

Rui Fontes

Às 07:50 de 10/06/2021, Andrea Sherry escreveu:

Andrea

Andrea Sherry

Andrea