JavaScript events related to Screen reader virtual cursor

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Niranjan,
Thanks for the point. I can confirm this was considered and the notification is focusable with tab (though in  a little different manner). 

I have done some part of research and probably it will not go as I have thought, it will all come down to advocacy now.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 21:19, <niranjan.v.94@...> wrote:
Hello Vaibhav, As I know there are no NVDA or screen reader specific events in JavaScript yet to detect the screen reader virtual cursers. However, As I can understand from your query, developers are able to manage hover & focus events to increase the interaction timing for the toast notification & that is great but it seems like they are not giving the focus to the correct element. May be they should have to give focus to the parent element that is holding the entire content of toast notification. May be they can try to give tabindex="0" attribute to the parent element. You can verify the behavior of the toast notification whether it is correctly focusable or not by pressing tab key on your keyboard. Note that if you can access the notification using the virtual curser or browse mode, that doesn't mean that the notification is focusable. You should switch to the focus mode & then use the tab key to navigate to the notification. If it is not accessible, That means they have to use the tabindex="0" attribute on the parent element to make it focusable. Or may be you can tell them to make it accessible as soon as it is appear on to the page.

niranjan.v.94@...

Hello Vaibhav, As I know there are no NVDA or screen reader specific events in JavaScript yet to detect the screen reader virtual cursers. However, As I can understand from your query, developers are able to manage hover & focus events to increase the interaction timing for the toast notification & that is great but it seems like they are not giving the focus to the correct element. May be they should have to give focus to the parent element that is holding the entire content of toast notification. May be they can try to give tabindex="0" attribute to the parent element. You can verify the behavior of the toast notification whether it is correctly focusable or not by pressing tab key on your keyboard. Note that if you can access the notification using the virtual curser or browse mode, that doesn't mean that the notification is focusable. You should switch to the focus mode & then use the tab key to navigate to the notification. If it is not accessible, That means they have to use the tabindex="0" attribute on the parent element to make it focusable. Or may be you can tell them to make it accessible as soon as it is appear on to the page.

Gene

No, that has nothing to do with whether the mouse moves.  Mouse tracking means that when you manually move the mouse, NVDA reads what is under the mouse when you move it to a new position.  That’s one way you can tell if the mouse moved where you want it to move.  I don’t know if announcements are always made, but its one way to check.

You must manually move the mouse.  The command is, using the default desktop layout, numpad insert numpad slash.  Hold numpad insert and press slash while doing so. 

There is no way to have the mouse move automatically.

Gene

-----Original message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] JavaScript events related to Screen reader virtual cursor

Hi Jean,

Yes a sighted user would hover over the notification to keep it for longer.

I have set mouse tracking on, which I think is the way to tell NVDA to move mouse alongwith the browser mode focus. But mouse cursor does not move on majority of the places, that's what people tell me.

I have been using screen readers for little less than a year now, and probably do not know some commands and jargons very well, sorry for that.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 00:51, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Evidently you are asking about moving through a web page and whether in browse mode, that causes java script events to occur.  In NVDA, Browse Mode is the name for what JAWS calls the Virtual PC Cursor.  I don’t know when, and how JAVA events may occur.  When I down arrow through a web page, on some pages, JAVA events occur that cause parts of the page to be shown that aren’t shown otherwise.  But whether there is any connection between this and what you are asking about, I don’t know.  But how do sighted people move in what you are describing?  Do they hover the mouse to cause what you want to happen?  If so, do you know how to move the mouse using NVDA?  Have you tried being on something on the page you are asking about and moving the mouse there? 

The mouse may not move there if you use the NVDA move mouse commands, on some web ppages, proper movement doesn’t occur but it often does. 

In summary, my questions are, how do sighted people keep the notifications on screen longer and can you do so by moving the mouse to the notification?
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 1:12 PM

No, there is no way to know about virtual cursor position, especially if the mouse is not following the browse cursor. If you use the focus cursor then it will get events, as well as if the mouse moves in or out of the elements .

Jonathan

On Jun 15, 2021, at 12:31 PM, Vaibhav Saraf <vaibhav.s.acc@...> wrote:

Hi Community,

Folks at my organization are building a toast notification for something, I know they are not good friends for many of us, but that's a different part of the story as they are doing only for cosmetic updates.

The problem is that when I arrow over the notification and read it, it disappears while my virtual cursor is still on it. They have handled events to detect hover and focus to increase the timeout but nothing related to other key strokes.

Are there any JS events triggered by NVDA virtual cursor when on a page which can be handled to reset the timeout in such a case?

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Jean,

Yes a sighted user would hover over the notification to keep it for longer.

I have set mouse tracking on, which I think is the way to tell NVDA to move mouse alongwith the browser mode focus. But mouse cursor does not move on majority of the places, that's what people tell me.

I have been using screen readers for little less than a year now, and probably do not know some commands and jargons very well, sorry for that.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 00:51, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Evidently you are asking about moving through a web page and whether in browse mode, that causes java script events to occur.  In NVDA, Browse Mode is the name for what JAWS calls the Virtual PC Cursor.  I don’t know when, and how JAVA events may occur.  When I down arrow through a web page, on some pages, JAVA events occur that cause parts of the page to be shown that aren’t shown otherwise.  But whether there is any connection between this and what you are asking about, I don’t know.  But how do sighted people move in what you are describing?  Do they hover the mouse to cause what you want to happen?  If so, do you know how to move the mouse using NVDA?  Have you tried being on something on the page you are asking about and moving the mouse there? 

The mouse may not move there if you use the NVDA move mouse commands, on some web ppages, proper movement doesn’t occur but it often does. 

In summary, my questions are, how do sighted people keep the notifications on screen longer and can you do so by moving the mouse to the notification?
Gene

No, there is no way to know about virtual cursor position, especially if the mouse is not following the browse cursor. If you use the focus cursor then it will get events, as well as if the mouse moves in or out of the elements .

Jonathan

Hi Community,

Folks at my organization are building a toast notification for something, I know they are not good friends for many of us, but that's a different part of the story as they are doing only for cosmetic updates.

The problem is that when I arrow over the notification and read it, it disappears while my virtual cursor is still on it. They have handled events to detect hover and focus to increase the timeout but nothing related to other key strokes.

Are there any JS events triggered by NVDA virtual cursor when on a page which can be handled to reset the timeout in such a case?

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Gene

Gene

Jonathan

Hi Community,

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Jonathan COHN

Jonathan

Hi Community,

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Community,

Thanks,
Vaibhav