NVDA crashes

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 06:26 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Thanks for telling us the font attributes; without looking at them letter by letter and requesting deep font information, the boldness, italicity, and underlinedness (underlineyness?) completely escaped me, and I suspect most others. :)
-
Serious response:  What is the "blind centric" method of creating emphasis in a text?  I realize that someone who's blind does not see bold, italic, or underline but I thought I had remembered something about the various synths doing something akin to what is done for capital letters where pitch goes up.

But even if you can't see the emphasis itself.  That's set on a line by itself which constitutes a paragraph of it's own.  And even though we beg those who've just subscribed to read through the welcome message, which includes the group rules, in its entirety just once, no one in group administration is foolish enough to believe that this request is honored by all new members.

But I don't know what we can do other than put this stuff in writing, and try to be as consistent as any two human beings can be about enforcement.  There's no way we can catch absolutely, positively, everything.  I also know that most of the group rules were not pulled out of the posteriors of those who put them together, but came about in response to situations that we'd like to avoid going forward.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Luke Davis

Brian Vogel wrote:

-It is.   The group rules have stated, in bold, italic, and underlined text for quite a while now:
Thanks for telling us the font attributes; without looking at them letter by letter and requesting deep font information, the boldness, italicity, and underlinedness (underlineyness?) completely escaped me, and I suspect most others. :)

Luke

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:24 PM, Gene wrote:
Whether you would say that using Windows 7 itself makes the topic improper for discussion, I of course don’t know
-
It is.   The group rules have stated, in bold, italic, and underlined text for quite a while now:

Unsupported versions of any software may only be discussed on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA Group.

Windows:  Only Windows 8.1 and currently supported versions of Windows 10.  Members should refer to the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet to determine which versions of Windows are currently supported.  Information about the dates on which specific versions of Windows 10 reached or will reach their end of service dates is listed there as well and will be updated as new versions are released.

Note that it is acceptable to direct a user to the NVAccess or Microsoft sites where older versions can be downloaded, however, this is different than supporting a specific version of software or operating system.

NVDA:  NVDA has, at any given time, a single version under active support.  If a question arises about how to update to that version, and you’re on an earlier version, that will be permitted as transition problems can occasionally occur.

====
Windows 7 is out of support.  It no longer remains a long-term solid ecosystem under which to run anything in contact with cyberspace, and I don't know of anyone here who isn't doing email, web browsing, etc.  It's also virtually certain that sooner or later NVDA is no longer going to be compatible with Windows 7.

We have a venue where members who wish to have discussions regarding anything within the realm of civil discourse (and that includes Windows 7, or other out of support software) may do so with others who are potentially interested in engaging in same:  The Chat Subgroup.

NVDA Chat Subgroup Archive:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/chat/topics

NVDA Chat Subgroup Addresses

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To post:  chat@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io

To contact the group owner(s):  chat+owner@nvda.groups.io

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

NVDA supports Windows 7 officially.  As far as the browser is concerned, Windows 7 is still supported in Firefox and the Chrome-based browsers I use including Brave and Edge.  Whether you would say that using Windows 7 itself makes the topic improper for discussion, I of course don’t know but the browser and NVDA itself are still likely supported.

Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA crashes

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Brian if you're talking about Don's message here
-
No, I'm talking about the Original Poster (OP), who goes on at great length about the issues encountered, which is great and which I applaud, but never mentioned any of those very basics in that post.

When asking for technical support for a complex problem, where very often there's interplay between things, having a reasonably exact picture of what's being worked with is essential, not optional.

But I will admit that I just saw something in the original post I had missed: I use a windows 7 32-bit computer.

So, we're talking about an out-of-support version of Windows, an out-of-support version of NVDA (I think, but I may be wrong on that), and most likely an out-of-support version of the web browser in question.   All of these are in violation of expressly stated group rules.

Windows 7 is dead, dead, dead and the policy of the NVDA group is to allow discussion only of supported versions of all software, with the express exception of a request for information on how to update Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 (and 32 and 64-bit versions of Win10 are still supported).  Unless the OP wants to update to Windows 10, this topic is finished on the main group.  No restrictions on discussing out-of-support anything exists on the Chat Subgroup, which is where any subsequent conversation about the setup initially described clearly belongs.

      ~ Brian Vogel

[...]

Brian Vogel wrote:

And we are right back to my standard request (I should call it a demand, as that's what it really is, in reality):  Versions, Versions, Versions!It is right
next to impossible to give accurate technical assistance without them.  For any issue such as this the Windows Version and Build, the NVDA version, and the
Brian if you're talking about Don's message here, to which I just responded, my answer is:

* Every version of NVDA at least since 2019.3.1.
* Every version of Windows 10 at least since 18XX.
* Other software often included Firefox, every version over the last three years.

I once filed a GitHub issue about this, which got very little love, although I do see that Quentin asked for a test there that I should run.

Luke

Luke Davis

Don H wrote:

The only issue I continue to have with NVDA is the loss of the normal hot keys for NVDA. All the hot keys stop working and I have found the only way to get them working again is to restart NVDA. In this case I can not close NVDA before I do this as the insert q key doesn't work.
Yes, happens to me several times per day. Quite annoying. Fortunately, there's nothing wrong with pressing Control+Alt+n to restart it--it terminates the previous copy as part of startup, so there's no reason to worry about not having pressed NVDA+q.

After looking at a debug log, I've found that what is really happening is that the windows key is getting virtually stuck. So all the combinations have Windows included with them.
I do not know what causes that, and I also don't know if it's the same on every system where this happens.
Feel free to turn on debug logging and send me a log (%temp%\nvda-old.log) the next time this happens and you have restarted NVDA, and I can see if it's the same for you.

Luke

Gene

You can close NVDA either using the system tray icon to open the menu and exiting from there, or you can use the Windows task manager.  I don’t know what you currently do when you have this problem.

I’m using Windows 7 and I don’t know how often this problem happens to those running 7 or other versions, but off and on, the same thing happens to me.

I also have happen, off and on, a key getting stuck such as the NVDA key or control or alt.  If I press the keys that might be stuck, that corrects that problem.  This problem didn’t exist in NVDA a number of years ago and I don’t know when it was introduced.  But at least using Windows 7, on my machine, it is a problem now, and in recent versions.  I hadn’t used newer versions of NVDA much for a good while until newer versions of programs required it so I don’t know when this became a problem.

The only issue I continue to have with NVDA is the loss of the normal
hot keys for NVDA.  All the hot keys stop working and I have found the
only way to get them working again is to restart NVDA.  In this case I
can not close NVDA before I do this as the insert q key doesn't work.

And we are right back to my standard request (I should call it a demand, as that's what it really is, in reality):  Versions, Versions, Versions!

It is right next to impossible to give accurate technical assistance without them.  For any issue such as this the Windows Version and Build, the NVDA version, and the other software in use, and its version number, are bare essentials.

Without those, all advice is just broad speculation, which seldom solves anything.  And that's not the fault of those doing the speculating, as that's all they can do with what they've been given to work with.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Don H

The only issue I continue to have with NVDA is the loss of the normal hot keys for NVDA. All the hot keys stop working and I have found the only way to get them working again is to restart NVDA. In this case I can not close NVDA before I do this as the insert q key doesn't work.

Gene

There are logs or information Windows keeps about crashes.  I’m not sure how you find it.  But if some of the information isn’t too technical, you can tell what program is crashing.  At times, a program can crash in such a way that it causes NVDA to stop speaking even if you try to move outside of the program window.  I don’t know why.