Loss of Speech at Sign-in Screen after period of inactivity

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and NVDA 2020.4.  Sometimes, after a period of time without any activity and when left at the sign-in screen, I lose speech from NVDA at the sign-in screen.  Generally, this happens after a period of inactivity lasting a day or more.  NVDA becomes totally sluggish; sputtering and not speaking the various fields on the sign-in screen as I tab around them.  This makes it impossible to sign-in; causing me to make a hard reboot.  After the reboot, speech at the sign-in screen is normal.

Why is this?  How can I prevent it?

Thanks,

Richard

Walter <walterzuiderwijk@...>

Do you use bluetooth?

Groet Walter

Op 27 jun. 2021 om 17:47 heeft Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and NVDA 2020.4.  Sometimes, after a period of time without any activity and when left at the sign-in screen, I lose speech from NVDA at the sign-in screen.  Generally, this happens after a period of inactivity lasting a day or more.  NVDA becomes totally sluggish; sputtering and not speaking the various fields on the sign-in screen as I tab around them.  This makes it impossible to sign-in; causing me to make a hard reboot.  After the reboot, speech at the sign-in screen is normal.

Why is this?  How can I prevent it?

Thanks,

Richard

I have no answer for the why, but do have a possible suggested workaround.

If your computer is somewhere that only you have access to, or you feel certain that no one else will touch it, consider turning off the need to log in again upon awaking from sleep and see if that makes any difference.  Even if you don't choose to keep it this way, it would give you some diagnostic information.

Settings, Accounts, Sign in options, Require Sign In section, toggle for, If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?, set to Never as opposed to When PC wakes up from sleep.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I don’t know but why do you let it sit at the sign in screen?  If the computer is running, why not be signed in?

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 10:47 AM
Subject: [nvda] Loss of Speech at Sign-in Screen after period of inactivity

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and NVDA 2020.4.  Sometimes, after a period of time without any activity and when left at the sign-in screen, I lose speech from NVDA at the sign-in screen.  Generally, this happens after a period of inactivity lasting a day or more.  NVDA becomes totally sluggish; sputtering and not speaking the various fields on the sign-in screen as I tab around them.  This makes it impossible to sign-in; causing me to make a hard reboot.  After the reboot, speech at the sign-in screen is normal.

Why is this?  How can I prevent it?

Thanks,

Richard

Gene

The message says this generally happens after inactivity lasting a day or more.  Bluetooth inactivity problems happen very quickly after no activity.

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 11:02 AM

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 02:21 PM, Gene wrote:
I don’t know but why do you let it sit at the sign in screen?
-
I doubt that he does.  Windows (10, but not just 10) by default is set to go to sleep after a period of inactivity, and to require sign on again when awakened.  That's why I suggested turning off the sign on requirement.  I have mine set that way as well as my computer never set to sleep if it's running on AC power.  It will sleep if running on battery power, but still does not require sign on when awakened.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

To clarify a few things brought up in the below, 1) the computer is set “never” to sleep and 2) there are no Bluetooth devices connected.

However, up until right now I had the screen set to “turn off” after one hour.  Now, I set it to “never.”  Might this have been the cause?  Also, about leaving the screen on all the time, in the old days (with CRT monitors at least) we were told not to leave the screen on because the image would “burn” into it leaving a ghost on the screen.  Is that still true with a modern monitor?  I believe the monitor in question here is an LCD.  Of course, for now I am putting aside the power consumption issues; as explained next.

This desktop PC in question here has several accounts on it.  One of  them is for my wife (sighted).  She uses the computer daily for work.  The computer is also acting as a “server” on our WiFi; sharing its “public” folder over that WiFi.  I constantly access that folder over our WiFi via my laptop for data files, music and so on.  In the past, I have had problems doing this if the computer went to sleep.  I do know about the “wake on LAN” thing, but that never really solved these problems in a solid way.  Seemingly, using a screen reader becomes unreliable in an environment involving WiFi networks and computers that sleep.

Thanks,

Richard

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 02:21 PM, Gene wrote:

I don’t know but why do you let it sit at the sign in screen?

-
I doubt that he does.  Windows (10, but not just 10) by default is set to go to sleep after a period of inactivity, and to require sign on again when awakened.  That's why I suggested turning off the sign on requirement.  I have mine set that way as well as my computer never set to sleep if it's running on AC power.  It will sleep if running on battery power, but still does not require sign on when awakened.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Walter <walterzuiderwijk@...>

Click om de next link en de probleem is wie zelf 't

Sorry voor mij bed English

Op 28 jun. 2021 om 20:12 heeft Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> het volgende geschreven: