Preliminary: NVDA runs happily on Windows 11, issues being investigated

Hello everyone,

As per a directive from forum moderators, if you have any questions about Windows 11 (currently being tested by Windows Insiders), please write to me or to Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users:

For those who are watching Twitter universe: I’m delighted to announce that NVDA runs on Windows 11 Insider Preview (build 22000), and NV Access retweeted it. As implied by folks here last week, as Windows 11 is under active development, things can change without notice, including issues and resolutions. More info about Windows 11 issues for screen readers (as reported by Windows Insiders) can be tracked here:

win10@win10.groups.io | Windows 11 (thread): first impressions, things to be aware of

If you are indeed a Windows Insider and happen to be using NVDA, I’m tweaking NVDA to work better with Windows 11 via Windows App Essentials. For best experience, please install:

  • NVDA 2021.1 beta 5 or later
  • Windows App Essentials June 29th development snapshot or later

Again if you have any questions or comments on Windows 11 preview, please write to me directly or ask on the forum I linked above.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian Sackrider

    Has the windows start music been removed in windows 11?  My friend is in the windows insider program and he has the developer version and the windows start sound is checked but when the pc starts there is no start up music.  If this true than if nvda for some reason does not read the log in screen then we won't know if our pcs are on the desk top or not. He does like windows 11 but he did not like windows 10 11 is faster on start up and everything else the edge loadsmuch faster.

Brian Sackrider

On 6/28/2021 7:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

David Moore

I have The same issue!

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021, 9:35 PM Brian Sackrider <bsackrider55@...> wrote:

[...]

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

I have the windows sound but its a different one on my hp  all in one, but I am not using NVDA for the log in screen, but launching narrator when I get to  the log in screen.

[...]

Gene

Does Windows 11 have fast boot on by default?   If so, as in Windows 10, you won’t hear the Windows sound unless you restart Windows, not shut down then boot.  If you restart with fast boot on, that completely reboots Windows.  If fast boot is on and you shut down, you aren’t doing a full boot of Windows.  Some of Windows remains ready to run which makes boot faster.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 9:50 PM

[...]

I turned  fast startup off before I made sure  of that.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 9:50 PM

[...]

Hi,

Windows 11 uses a completely different sound scheme, which is a bit softer than Windows 10.

Let's discuss Windows 11 on a different forum so we won't clutter the list with preview build feedback.

Cheers,

Joseph

Edited

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 01:23 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Let's discuss Windows 11 on a different forum so we won't clutter the list with preview build feedback.
-
And, for the time being, were there something truly NVDA-centric but in the Windows 11 ecosystem, I am asking that this be discussed on the Chat Subgroup.

Until Windows 11 is released it's not "in support" nor can we know whether what we have to work with this week is what we'll have next week as far as the Windows side of things goes.  It's really a grand experiment for the time being.

Once Windows 11 goes live, then it's appropriate to have discussions regarding NVDA running in Windows 11 on the main group.  And it will become critical that all members start to identify whether it's Windows 10 versus Windows 11 that they're running NVDA under, as there will be a long period of "mixed use" ahead of us.

      ~ Brian Vogel

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

That’s true.  Do agree with joseph on this one.