Journal Software

John Isige

Pretty sure they can't, no. But OneNote might be able to, they make a big deal of being able to add things. Apparently I started one for Youtube videos I wanted to save for later, and the one I have in there shows up as a working link. You still might want actual journal software instead, but I'd say if you've got Windows 10 or a late enough version of Microsoft Office, OneNote is probably worth at least taking a look at. It's free after all. I just checked with my wife, who can see, and she says you can put images in OneNote. So you could just set up a little test with a few images, see what kind of organization you could do, stuff like that, to see if it would work for you.

On 7/15/2021 6:11 PM, Bob Cole wrote:
Hi, Tony!

I like to take pictures of my boys (I've been on my own with them for over six years now), scenery, and other such things. The ability to add a picture(s) to a journal entry would be very helpful. My vision (what little there is) isn't degenerative, and it would be nice to go back to an entry and to see a photo of the described memory. :) I haven't used Notepad for a long, long time...so it could be out of ignorance as to whether or not photos can be added there.

Tony Malykh

I see. Notepad indeed doesn't support images. Microsoft Word and alike would support that, but not sure how convenient that would be - back in the days when I could see Word was notoriously stubborn in putting my images in the worst possible corner of the document. So for images indeed I would imagine some specialized software might be better.

On 7/15/2021 4:11 PM, Bob Cole wrote:
Hi, Tony!

I like to take pictures of my boys (I've been on my own with them for over six years now), scenery, and other such things. The ability to add a picture(s) to a journal entry would be very helpful. My vision (what little there is) isn't degenerative, and it would be nice to go back to an entry and to see a photo of the described memory. :) I haven't used Notepad for a long, long time...so it could be out of ignorance as to whether or not photos can be added there.

Bob Cole

Hi, Tony!

I like to take pictures of my boys (I've been on my own with them for over six years now), scenery, and other such things. The ability to add a picture(s) to a journal entry would be very helpful. My vision (what little there is) isn't degenerative, and it would be nice to go back to an entry and to see a photo of the described memory. :) I haven't used Notepad for a long, long time...so it could be out of ignorance as to whether or not photos can be added there.

Tony Malykh

I have been keeping a journal for years in plain text format. Having said this I don't necessarily want to convince you of anything, but I would like to understand why plain notepad wouldn't work for you? In your message you mentioned that you would like to be able to quickly access entries from the past - that can be quite easily accomplished with searching in notepad. So I feel perhaps you forgot to mention some other desired functionality that you cannot achieve with plain notepad?

On 7/15/2021 3:56 AM, Bob Cole wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I have really been wanting to start keeping a journal.

I don't particularly want to do something like this in Word, LibreOffice, or any other word processor. I would ultimately love to find something which would allow me to quickly access past entries if I would ever want to look back at them. I have been on the hunt for a dedicated journal writing application, but am not finding one that is fully accessible. I used RedNotebook when I used screen magnification much more regularly, but now that I rely on NVDA much more than anything, I want to be able to write a journal with as little use of vision as possible.

Are there any fully (or mostly) accessible apps out there for keeping a journal?

If not...I have recently been thinking of trying to develop my programming skills (which are minimal at best at present) and try to figure out what it would take to develop one myself.

I appreciate any input!

Thanks, everyone!

Ben J. Bloomgren

John,

I hadn't thought about OneNote. I always hear about how replete that platform is, so I'm following the page which you've just sent us. Thanks a bunch, and happy jaw harping!

Ben

On Jul 15, 2021 10:51, John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

QT has an accessibility mode or interface or whatever ,so you might see if they'd be willing to use that. Also, though I haven't used it because I haven't needed a journal app, if you've got Windows 10, you've got access to OneNote, which might work for this sort of thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/basic-tasks-using-a-screen-reader-with-onenote-32cd532b-d5d4-442b-bc13-1d0ad2016377#PickTab=Windows_10_app

You can do notebooks, sections, and pages, so you could have say, a notebook per year, a section per month, something like that. You should have a pretty flexible organization scheme, and you can name the sections and I think the pages as well. So it should be pretty easy to navigate and find things.

On 7/15/2021 11:36 AM, Bob Cole wrote:
Hi, Gene.

When I relied more heavily upon magnification, I used an application called RedNotebook[1] for journaling. It had a calendar built into it displayed very journal entry per day written. Al that you would have to do is to activate a date on the calendar which had a journal entry. It offered other features such as the adding of pictures and other things of that nature. I don't know much about programming/APIs, but it was written in Qt, I believe. Unfortunately, it is mostly inaccessible to NVDA. It has a simple interface, but it allowed for a quick way to access journal entries as well as the ability to print out to PDF.

The features described on the application's page are pretty much what I'm looking for in an application of this nature.

I guess I really like the idea of compartmentalization which is not particularly offered by a standard word processor.

Thank you so much for your suggestion and thoughts on this!

LINKS:
[1] https://rednotebook.sourceforge.io/

John Isige

[...]

Don Robinson

I wonder if Diarium — Private Diary / Daily Journal would work for you? Personally, I have been using Textmaker, and now Word to keep a journal of my activities at our summer cabin for at least the last 15 years. I have been able to sort by date and search for any subject/text I have needed.

[...]

Micallef Michael,

I checked out the page for AzzCardFile. This lookes interesting. I'll have to see if, perhaps, this could work for my situation.

Thank you!

Bob Cole

[...]

Russell James

Thank you that app sounds interesting!

Do you know if the Android version of that app is accessible?

Russ

Michael Micallef at FITA

Try the azzcardfile the latest version is v4.16 but right now there is also the new beta v5.0 beta 8 and its improving a lot. The website for the stable version is:

www.azzcardfile.net

the website for the beta 5.0 beta 8 is:

www.azzcardfile.net/beta

I used it for a very long time and it solve me lot of problems.