NVDA AND WINDOWS 11

Christo Vorster

Good morning again

I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11. My question is:

Is NVDA 2021.1 completely compatible with Windows 11.

If the same question was already asked, and answered, I’m sorry for the repeat, but I cannot remember that I saw it.

Regards

Well nvda 2021.2 is supposed to be the version fully supporting windows 11.

How did you get this message.

If its the new pc health check app or other requirements meeting app, then you will have to wait till late october.

If its a popup just don't.

Scammers are already prowling about.

If in doubt, scan all your drives and just in case reformat and reinstall, its what I'd do and get a good add blocker installed, and check passwords and security.

Windows 11 aint out till the end of the year.

And frankly, unless you have a real reason to push for it I wouldn't bother.

Just about every system in my house and on my network is no go for win11 my system just clocks in at minimum specs of a 2nd generation amd system.

However for the case of the users at least till I upgrade my system and my dad upgrades his I don't plan to install it and stay on windows 10 for compatability sake.

And since my old man doesn't need any more functions he will stay on win10 for the moment.

I have other family members that have old systems that won't even make the minimum requirements.

And due to covid its harder to get the exact system you want.

If I were microsoft, I'd actually give the same requirements as windows 10 for now.

Its a good idea to be secure but with the prices of stuff I don't think its smart right now to leave most users out of the loop.

But thats just me.

Anyway if you get a message about any update to windows 11 its fake unless you are an insider.

If you are then go get it and test it I guess.

I don't even have a system I can actually test windows 11 on.

On 28/07/2021 9:03 pm, Christo Vorster wrote:

Good morning again

I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11. My question is:

Is NVDA 2021.1 completely compatible with Windows 11.

If the same question was already asked, and answered, I’m sorry for the repeat, but I cannot remember that I saw it.

Regards

Christo Vorster

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the input.

Yes, actually I agree. Why fixed sometjing that is’n broken. I was just curious.

As to the notice, it was a popup message and I did ignore it.

[...]

Well thats good to know.

Get and install a good popup blocker like addblock+ and make sure to be safe and run malwarebytes or something just to be sure.

There are a lot of scams about and message appears once you install your system is done.

There isn't any way to make them go but a lot of things that say don't.

The issue isn't windows 11 itself or its requirements.

But looking at local stores, when covid started you could get just about anything.

But withh all the shipping and other delays if I were microsoft  I would have held back at least for the next 2-5 years which is what aparently is touted as when we will be able to get rid of it.

Right now for any user unless you use an intel 8th generation or ryzen 2nd addition you are out of luck.

So basically every system that runs windows 10 is crap because microsoft says so.

Now if you use any system with 3rd gen on win10 you are asking for trouble.

I know some that are really bog poor though but even 4th gens 5 6 and 7th gens are effected.

I have had people running 6th and 7th gen units who are happy with what they have and 4th gen to.

I may be able to upgrade to windows11 but I am upgrading with my users here.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 05:03 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:
I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11.
-
By what (or who)?  And that's a serious question as there has been no announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Christo Vorster

Hi Brian

To be completely honest, I don’t know by whom, or why the information popped up on my computer. I have just restarted my computer and then the notice was read by NVDA. I wasn’t able to pay more attention other than to hear it as I was busy with something else. When I got to my computer I could not locate the message again.

I decided to post my question befor I went to any further trouble locating the message again. I never gave it another thought and awaited a response from the NVDA community. I am a little dubious with regards to just updating software, especially the Windows operating system.

Unfortunately, that is all I can tell you.

Regards

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 05:03 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:

I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11.

-
By what (or who)?  And that's a serious question as there has been no announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Nicholas Stevens

I have also been receiving upgrade notifications whn I switch on my computer. I just ignore them.

Kind Regards

Nicholas Stevens

Administration Assistant

Two Oceans Aquarium, Dock Road, V&A Waterfront

Tel: +27 (0)21 418 3823 | Direct:  +27 (0)21 814 4560

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 05:03 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:

I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11.

-
By what (or who)?  And that's a serious question as there has been no announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Disclaimer

Under the Protection of Personal Information Act, 04 of 2013 (“POPIA”), the Two Oceans Aquarium is committed to ensuring the security and protection of personal information it processes, and to protect data in a compliant and consistent manner. The information contained in this email and any attachments thereto may be privileged or confidential and only intended for the exclusive use and attention of the addressed recipient. If you have received this email by mistake, please delete it and advise the sender immediately. Should you have any questions related to our POPIA compliance, please contact aquarium@... or learn more about our commitment to your privacy at www.aquarium.co.za/privacy

Gene

Are those receiving such messages [participating in the Windows Insider program?

[...]

No, not even remotely.

Are those receiving such messages [participating in the Windows Insider program?

[...]

Not at all. I found my latest message under my notifications.

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I've seen reports of this. Please ignore the notification for now. It seems to be just a tease for the upcoming version. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/o9lwht/notifications_teasing_windows_11_again/ where a few users are discussing this.

Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 8:36 AM

I have also been receiving upgrade notifications whn I switch on my computer. I just ignore them.

Kind Regards

Nicholas Stevens

Administration Assistant

Two Oceans Aquarium, Dock Road, V&A Waterfront

Tel: +27 (0)21 418 3823 | Direct:  +27 (0)21 814 4560

Email: nicholas.stevens@... | Website: www.aquarium.co.za

Image removed by sender. signature

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Christo Vorster

I found my notification under my notifications. It said something the lines of “Windows 11 is coming. Get your update …” Or something like that.

Are those receiving such messages [participating in the Windows Insider program?

[...]

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Probably a new teaser from MS to encourage old PC owners to upgrade
their systems?
I had to switch my insider channel from beta to dev to get win11.
I hope many would join and give feedback for the current serious issues.
TC

By what (or who)? And that's a serious question as there has been no
announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has
even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep. Discipline. Accountability. Joy. Fun. Responsibility.

That's what life is about. And in that order.

~ Liza Minnelli

Steve Nutt

But did it specifically say Windows 11? Or did it suggest you upgrade to Windows 10 2021H2?

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I think I heard that windows 11 is supposed to come outsometime in October. I didn't get a notification about it yet but I'll patiently wait until it really does come out.

Rosemarie

On 7/28/2021 6:18 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 05:03 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:
I was informed just now that I could update my operating system to Windows 11.
-
By what (or who)?  And that's a serious question as there has been no announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Lino Morales

I too have gotten this quote unquote teaser message when I was in the Insider release preview channel. I've decided to install the current 2021 H1 build via Media Creation tool this past Saturday which I was very successful doing. My PC will be 4 years old on my birthday. I can't update to WIN 11 due to the no secure boot or TPM requirements.

On 7/28/2021 10:35 AM, Hareth wrote:
Probably a new teaser from MS to encourage old PC owners to upgrade
their systems?
I had to switch my insider channel from beta to dev to get win11.
I hope many would join and give feedback for the current serious issues.
TC
By what (or who)? And that's a serious question as there has been no
announcement by Microsoft that Windows 11 roll out to the general public has
even started.

It's not supposed to be "hitting the streets" yet.

Yep. Discipline. Accountability. Joy. Fun. Responsibility.

That's what life is about. And in that order.

~ Liza Minnelli

Hmmm.

Its suggested that this could all be from suggestions app in settings/notifications and actions and if you turn this off you will not recieve internal microsoft adds.

I have had some stuff like this but I have always turned the suggestions off.

Why microsoft is advising to update is unknown but again I'd scan your system.

You shouldn't be recieving update notifications unless your windows 10 version is actually old.

In case type winver.

If you are a version out of date or 2 go get the upgrade.

On 29/07/2021 1:36 am, Nicholas Stevens wrote:

[...]

Well I wish microsoft wouldn't do this especially with those that can't get it its gwx all over again.

All of my users by myself can't get this new update and I have half a mind to simply not bother getting it at least till I get a second system that will run it and one of my users gets the update at least.

At least not for the moment.

I still want windows 10 feature updates so don't want to block windows 11, but if I am the only one able to get windows update to 11 and with all the user account goings on under home, it looks like for now its either load win11 home, login and get my pro licence and then whatever or login, make a local, switch to that and kill the online account signin or install windows 10, create the account offline then install 11.

Unsure as a gamer and general user if its worth getting windows 11 at least right away.

On 29/07/2021 2:15 am, Nimer Jaber wrote:
[...]

To be honest I probably would except I only really have 1 good system to test.

And after the keyboard input system issues I had with vmware completely destroying windows keyboard on install after I didn't check a box almost forcing a reformat at the start of the first lockdown in 2020, followed by the realisation after its removal that all the vmware stuff was actually hitting performance including startup times and some things I don't like on the interface and the fact I really don't have that much space on the drive I use for vm images and the fact I only really doodled, pluss the fact all I have as a secondry system is a 3rd gen system to test I decided the easiest thing to do was just stop before I really creamed myself propper.

Now if that wasn't the case with covid and the fact the computer wasn't the only way I could communicate, I would have just done a reformat and ranted online.

A reformat would always fix things and make them work.

However what really got me to delete not only vmware but all my registry information was the fact that standard users can't contac their support without a contract and that they are only interested in businesses even though they sell to indeviduals.

So I may jump on and test insiders, but firstly I need another system to do tests or rather another system to be my primary and then use this system to test or a throw away piece of crap I don't care about reformatting if it breaks.

Something that if it breaks I just reformat and it goes away.

I can't really justify this on my primary system and even if I get back into it, I will only download and use vmware player and use that.

And thats a really big if, probably will be a won't bother.

Its really put me off virtual machines in general.

Without vmware anything installed the system runs better and starts better than it ever did.

With sighted help, a system restore then  a complete uninstall everything is happy again and windows is not screwed up.

Since vmware is not available via email contact to users I can't even report any bugs to them and so vmware and me are no longer friends because they just don't want to communicate with users via mail.

.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Or did it suggest you upgrade to Windows 10 2021H2?
-
Which would still be equally odd, as the rollout of Windows 10, Version 21H2 has not commenced yet, either.

But I can believe teaser messages, but not anything that allows actual updating to happen as of the date of this message.  That'll come months from now.