How to update speech dictionary entries and configuration profiles on a portable version of NVDA?

Giles Turnbull

Hi Luke, and sory for the delay in replying to your question. Yes, you copy the default.dic file from appdata/roaming/NVDA/Speechdicts and you paste it into exactly the same location on your other device. Of course, there'll already be a default.dic file in there, but you can either overwrite that existing one or rename it to something like default_orig.dic ... NVDA will use the new default.dic file but you can revert back to the original one if you need. The new dictionary file will become active the next time you re-start NVDA.

Yes, it is a text file in as much as it can be opened and read in Notepad, but it is a .dic file. It is similar to a csv file (comma-separated values) format that worksheets from Excel can be exported as and read in Notepad ... in a CSV file the commas indicate a column boundary. In an NVDA .dic file it indicates the different options available in the speech dictionary dialogue ... pattern, replacement, comment, case sensitive etc.

Hope that helps,

Giles

Luke,

If all you're trying to do is get the dictionary that exists on your installed version on to your portable version, it would be fine to just copy and paste the appropriate .DIC file  (or files) over.

That being said, if you're not sure about how to go about doing that it is a pretty simple issue to just make a new portable copy.

I was thinking you might have different add-ons in the installed and portable versions that you wanted to retain that way and/or a given dictionary file on one side that you wanted untouched while you wanted to merge the into the other.  Since these are not the case, the options become much clearer and easier, regardless of what you end up choosing to do.

But your having mentioned configuration profiles is also something that made me think that creating a fresh portable copy if what's wanted is a portable "edition" of what you have in place with your installed version would likely be the preferable option.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Luke

Hi brian! I just want to snag the dictionary I have on the installer version of NVDA on my windows 10 PC and put those entries on the portable version I have on a thumb drive.I don’t have time tonight but I think just simply making a new portable version is the best  way to do it.

On Aug 15, 2021, at 5:15 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Luke,

The question becomes whether you are trying to merge two separate, existing dictionaries or just snagging one that exists on one side and putting it on the other.

If you would, could you please describe precisely what it is you're trying to port, and in which direction?  It sounded like you were trying to get certain things from the installed to the  portable and vice versa.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Luke,

The question becomes whether you are trying to merge two separate, existing dictionaries or just snagging one that exists on one side and putting it on the other.

If you would, could you please describe precisely what it is you're trying to port, and in which direction?  It sounded like you were trying to get certain things from the installed to the  portable and vice versa.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Luke

Question? I went into appdata/roaming/NVDA /speech dics.  arrowed down to default which is a text document. Is that what I copy? And once I have the portable version uploaded on my PC, where do I paste the Default text document? If that’s indeed that is the correct thing I am supposed to copy. And thanks for your input as well brian.  making a new copy is probably  what I   am  going to do.

On Aug 15, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:

because I use two laptop computers and 1 tablet every day, I have three NVDA installations. If I've added a new entry to a speech dictionary on one laptop, then I find the easiest way to update the other laptop and tablet's dictionary is to find the relevant .dic file and copy it over to the other computers. Since Dropbox is installed on each of the devices, I paste the .dic file somewhere on DropBox and then copy it into the relevant location on the device.

The dictionary files are in the user folder (I have a shortcut on my desktop to Giles, automatically created by Windows on each device). I go into that and then into the App Data folder, then Roaming, then NVDA and finally the speechDicts folder.

The default dic file is titled default.dic and that is where you will probably have most of your new dictionary entries. Otherwise there is a folder called voiceDicts in which are folders for each synth where you have created a voice dictionary ... I have a folder for SAPI5 in which there are .dic files for Hazel and Zira, and an folder for espeak, which is empty because I've not created any custom dictionaries since I rarely use an espeak voice.

I find it far faster to do the copying and pasting method rather than creating a brand new portable copy just to copy a couple of dictionary files.

I am not certain whether this is necessary, but I also save configuration to make sure the new dictionary files aren't deleted when I shut down NVDA (I have learned better, thanks to advice in this group, not to save settings on exit in case I make a change that proves hard to reverse without sight).

Giles

Giles Turnbull

[...]

If memory serves the easiest way, given what you want to accomplish, is just to create a fresh portable copy using the currently installed version, with all its dictionaries and add-ons getting "packaged with it" as a part of that.   And this is simple enough to do to test out my memory:

1 Hit NVDA + N, T, C  [NVDA Main Menu, Tools, Create Portable Copy]
2. In the dialog that comes up, either browse to or directly enter the folder in which you want that portable copy created.  This can be the drive letter with backslash for the root folder of a portable drive, e.g., G:\
3. Make sure the checkbox for Copy current user configuration is checked.
4. Optional.  If you wish to immediately begin testing the behavior of the portable copy, check the Start the new portable copy after creation checkbox.
5. Hit the Continue button.  Wait while the portable copy is created.  You will receive a success dialog when it's done.  Activate the OK button in that dialog

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Luke

Hi! I put a portable version of NVDA on a thumb drive about a year ago .  I have no problem updating the NVDA version itself and add ons on the portable version. On the installer version of NVDA I have on my windows 10 desktop I have added entries to the speech dictionary and have made a few  minor changes to the main configuration profile I use. I want my  portable version  updated with those changes. Do I simply make a new portable version, or can I update the existing portable version I already have, or is there another way? Thanks!