Don't Want To Hear nvda Say "menu item"

P.Stephen Hoad

If anyone else has clicked on the link that was originally sent, did it all read and conform to a usual website structure. I did click the link and could not reproduce the problem cited. Could this be a synthesizer anomaly? I am using the most current update of Windows 10 along with NVDA 21.1 and Windows Core Voices.

Giles Turnbull

Would adding "menu item" (without the quote marks) to your NVDA defualt dictionary stop it from being said? The only time that would become a problem would be if you encountered the text menu item in a document ... maybe in a short story where the sentence was: The grizzled man clicked on the menu item that said activate, and 30 seconds later the building across the street was consumed by an angry fireball.

I can't remember if it's possible to have a specific dictionary for an application-specific configuration profile, but if it is then you could  limit NVDA not saying "menu item"so that "menu item" was only not spoken in your web browser.

Hope that helps :)

Giles

Sarah k Alawami

Can you do everything in focus mode? This might get rid of the menu problem.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 2:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Don't Want To Hear nvda Say "menu item"

John,

Since I don't have a Roku account, I can't explore whether there are any accessibility settings you may be able to turn on for this page.  I suspect if there are you will have a significantly "decluttered" experience.

Even the things being announced as menu items aren't really menu items in the conventional sense of the term, but I can see why they are designated as such since they're graphics showing the shows with play buttons associated with each and you are making a selection.  It's certainly a type of menu, but not a "menu as we all know them" menu.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

John,

Since I don't have a Roku account, I can't explore whether there are any accessibility settings you may be able to turn on for this page.  I suspect if there are you will have a significantly "decluttered" experience.

Even the things being announced as menu items aren't really menu items in the conventional sense of the term, but I can see why they are designated as such since they're graphics showing the shows with play buttons associated with each and you are making a selection.  It's certainly a type of menu, but not a "menu as we all know them" menu.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

John Altmeyer

Hi,

To hear what I can't tolerate hearing, please visit the Roku Channel link below.  For me, it is tantamount to an audio challenge.

When navigating the menu, I am forced to use screen review. Otherwise, every up or down arrow announces "menu item", and I can't make out exactly what is in the text.

A solution is more than just a little bit appreciated.  As an aside, my hearing isn't the best due to tinnitus.

Teen Wolf

https://l.email1.roku.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=364633&tp=i-1NGB-I8-6dT-1yHpfP-1n-4c6q3-1c-1xtP1a-l6SBCBNIiq-cLFUn