Problem with reading pdf

Mr. Wong Chi Wai <cwwong.pro@...>

Hi,
I got a pdf file, when I open with Adobe pdf reader DC on my windows 7, it said it is blank or require OCR.
However, when I send the pdf to my Ipad via dropbox and ope the pdf with dropbox, the screen reader there can read all those text content, as if it is totally accessible.
I am not sure how to fix this issue. Cause I need to extract some of the information from the pdf.....
Do I open it with alternative pdf reader? any recommendations? or any other advice?
thanks
William

hi.
if you are shure that your pdf books is not Ocr and its usual document
which is changed to document, you can also try balabolka.
its free and can read many document formats.
you can download it from its original website.

www. cross-plus-a.com

thanks for asking and god bless you.

On 4/8/16, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I got a pdf file, when I open with Adobe pdf reader DC on my windows 7,
it said it is blank or require OCR.
However, when I send the pdf to my Ipad via dropbox and ope the pdf with
dropbox, the screen reader there can read all those text content, as if
it is totally accessible.
I am not sure how to fix this issue. Cause I need to extract some of the
information from the pdf.....
Do I open it with alternative pdf reader? any recommendations? or any
other advice?
thanks
William

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Aravind R

I TOO HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH ADOBE READER DC SO I DOWNGRADED IT.
SO FRIENDS GUIDE US HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

On 4/8/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

Mr. Wong Chi Wai <cwwong.pro@...>

I have try both pdf reader dc and Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro both failed

Aravind R 於 8/4/2016 15:19 寫道:

[...]

Well its not adobe's fault really they wrote the pdf standard.
So documents should work with their stuff.
The thing is if the pdf is scanned from a scanner or written with a non adobe product or accessibility was not put in it for starters then adobe will not read it.
Worse if it is a scanned image its a problem.
adobe's software doe not indclude ocr and can't read image scans.
Other programs may get round it.
I would usually say it is adobe's fault, but I won't for the simple reason that adobe are the ones that designed the pdf format.
Chances are that if it doesn't work with adobe's own programs that it is a nonstandard file or has nonstandard content.
Now with brootforce cracking with pdf2txt, you can probably handle it or with codex you can probably kill the drm and then reaad it or something its not all equal.
I do know for a fact that not all pdfs are equil access wise.
And while a lot do use those things to a high standard a lot don't.

On 8/04/2016 7:19 p.m., Aravind R wrote:
[...]

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!
I've been sent plenty of .pdf files where NVDA says the file is either blank or needs OCR. This isn't a fault of the .pdf reader, such a message is usually caused by the fact that the contents of the .pdf are an image rather than text. Interesting that such a file showed up as text readable by Voiceover on an iPad: I can't explain that!
However, as regards a solution to the problem of such blank-looking .pdf files on Windows, I use Omnipage, the OCR program I have here, to make the text in such files accessible, even though this usually means having two copies of the file, because the text version is in another format, usually Word in my case.
I'm not familiar with other OCR programs on Windows, but I would guess that at least some of them have a similar function, where image files in .pdf containing text can be converted to formats like .rtf or .doc which are more accessible.
I hope this helps!
Bye for now!
From Clare

[...]

written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins
them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good
things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from
them their burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for]
those who believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the
light which has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Yeah sadly any scanned document is like this or any images that are converted are still images.
Or in fact in some cases documents constructed without access and which are all images are well not going to work.
Another thing I have noticed is that anything made with something like pagemaker will have issues with the broot force converters but not all of them.
Technically a pdf is an standard html with some modifications.
I don't care for pdfs as such and thank god they actually are not a problem for me but it depends what they are.
I know a lot of hardware and software manuals especially computer and printer camera and most hardware uses pdfs.
I know enginiering documents my brother uses are pdfs and I know my dad uses a lot of pdfs.
For me I actually prefur something if I am going to read it in either a daisy file or a marked up html document.

On 8/04/2016 9:33 p.m., Clare Page wrote:
[...]
From Clare
[...]

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

I too had problems with reading PDF documents with NVDA and adobe reader. NVDA used to crash and I installed Q read, which is a paid application, but it is a good program to handle pdf document. However, I rely on jaws as my primary screen Reader.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 8, 2016, at 7:58 AM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I got a pdf file, when I open with Adobe pdf reader DC on my windows 7, it said it is blank or require OCR.
However, when I send the pdf to my Ipad via dropbox and ope the pdf with dropbox, the screen reader there can read all those text content, as if it is totally accessible.
I am not sure how to fix this issue. Cause I need to extract some of the information from the pdf.....
Do I open it with alternative pdf reader? any recommendations? or any other advice?
thanks
William

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

It depends on the document you are reading. some pdf files may be too long and NVDA fails to read them or crashes. When I have to deal with pdf documents or books, I mostly convert them to microsoft word format by using AABBYY fine reader and it solves my issues hopefully. However, there are some pdf image files which may have a low quality resolution, and things get worse and worse.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 8, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Clare Page <clare.page@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

[...]
From Clare

[...]

Yes, I do use Omnipage or Fine reader as well.
But I though it is strange that why the text can be read on ipad but not on my windows.
If the text is to be extracted through OCR, it is definitely that may have little mistake when compareing with the original copy. Ihope if the text can be read on my windows, then I can copy them directly.

Clare Page 於 8/4/2016 17:33 寫道:

[...]
From Clare

[...]

if you want to only read pdf files that adobe can read them, please
read them with balabolka!
it at least no crashes for me.
but i tested many versions of adobe reader and it crashed in my pdf
documents even with 123 pages!
so, i completely uninstalled it and said goodbye to you for always!

On 4/9/16, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

From Clare

[...]

No, when I open with balabolka, it crashed...

nasrin khaksar 於 9/4/2016 11:21 寫道:

[...]

From Clare

[...]

Can you really read documents on iPad and not on windows? That is relly strange. By the way, what kind of software do you use on your iPad to read the document?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2016, at 2:57 AM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

From Clare

[...]

Well the reason this stuff crashes is that the files are large.
sadly windows thinks things have crashed while they are processing.
adobe often says its not responding, but then so does some of my audio programs, they are just taking a while to crunch numbers.

On 9/04/2016 5:13 p.m., Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
[...]

From Clare

[...]

yes, adobe crashes a lot. But even microsoft word crashes on a 400 page book. Audio isn't as problematic as this adobe thing.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

From Clare

[...]

No Adobe files seem to be produced now by all sorts of programs. I've had occasions where the whole document has had 1 character on each line, or all words running together with no spaces By far the biggest issue is people producing newspaper like pdfs, but never locally tagging the reading order when the number of columns changes. The second most common cock up is the screen of text which is merely a picture of text. To the sighted, this seems ok in the most part, but I'm told often the clarity of the letters is so bad that not even trying to OCR it will come up with a valid readable result. Sadly a lot of manufacturers manuals fall into this category. If its really good you can use the nvda Add on ocr for the task, but its still yet another step we should not have to use to read a commonly used format.
Yes when we say things crash, often what we mean is that they seem to lose touch with the screenreader, or hang for some minutes for no good reason. The latter issue seems to be something to do with UIA and bugs in its routines that mean when interrogated by the screenreader they suspend the program for a given time.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Although it is off topic, to answer your question, I just open the pdf with the native app of Dropbox. And I also opened it with Adobe reader.

Afrim 於 9/4/2016 13:19 寫道:

[...]

From Clare

[...]

Afrim <afrim.maja@...>

I opened a PDF book using iBooks on iPhone, but nothing could be read.

[...]

William,

           If this document is not private in nature would you e-mail it to me?  I want to see what happens with the various PDF Viewers I have on my Windows 10 box.

           It is unusual that you can open it on an iPad and have it read unless there is some sort of setting for the iPad reader that makes it run OCR on image PDF files automatically before opening.

           If people have PDF files that they know contain text, but were either scanned a long time ago as image PDFs or more recently by someone who didn't even know that they could use a scanner with an OCR feature to create text-searchable PDFs by scanning, I recommend PDF-XChange Viewer simply to do OCR on them.  It's not friendly as a full-service PDF reader, but the basic "open document, run OCR, save document with text layer" sequence is easily accessible.  Then you can use the PDF reader program of your choice to read the resulting OCR processed file.

Brian

Kevin Chao

A cloud-based solution for performing OCR on image-based-PDFs is drive.google.com which will export to most formats.