Topics

books to download from within nvda?

Katty Geltmeyer <kattygeltmeyer@...>

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.  In this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium.  In the menu there's also a section news, podcasts, … But I can't add podcasts myself as sources I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

https://google.com/+KattyGeltmeyer

http://kattykrabbelt.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

mattias jonsson <mj@...>

maybe because easy reader are made by dolphin?

Den 2016-04-10 kl. 15:14, skrev Katty Geltmeyer:

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.  In this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium.  In the menu there's also a section news, podcasts, … But I can't add podcasts myself as sources I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Possibly.

Best, Katty

Van: mattias [mailto:mj@...]
Verzonden: zondag 10 april 2016 16:51
Aan: nvda@groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [nvda] books to download from within nvda?

maybe because easy reader are made by dolphin?

Den 2016-04-10 kl. 15:14, skrev Katty Geltmeyer:

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Hello Katty,

The feature you speak of isn’t available in NVDA at this time.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 6:15 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] books to download from within nvda?

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Hi Joseph

Thanks for this information. I don't know if you are a developer of nvda or an user like me. But if you are developer of nvda: will this feature be in future versions of nvda or not?

Best, Katty

Van: Joseph Lee [mailto:joseph.lee22590@...]
Verzonden: zondag 10 april 2016 19:01

Hello Katty,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Hi Katty,

People are more than welcome to create an add-on for this, as I believe NVDA should be good at what it does: screen reading, not a one-stop tool for everything (as a developer (not the lead), I think NVDA should be faithful to its duties). I do understand that some may object to this, but I think it is important to note that screen readers alone will not solve life’s problems – users must be proactive in seeking out information.

I will stress this at a conference soon.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] books to download from within nvda?

Hi Joseph

Thanks for this information. I don't know if you are a developer of nvda or an user like me. But if you are developer of nvda: will this feature be in future versions of nvda or not?

Best, Katty

Van: Joseph Lee [mailto:joseph.lee22590@...]

Hello Katty,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi Katty,

I'm not a developrer of NVDA, but based on interviews I've heard from people who are, NVDA tries to be the screen reader's screen reader.  Downloading books really doesn't have that much to do with interpreting information from the screen in speech or braille which is the strict definition of a screen reader.

As some have said, there could always be an add-on created to do this; however, by NVDA's definition, you would acquire adobe digital editions, kindle for pc, google play books, goread, kobo, or any sort of book reader you want.  Use that book reader software to acquire and read books.  Of course, I don't know how much dutch content they have, but this is really the direction the NVDA community would encourage you to go.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf

On Apr 10, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Katty Geltmeyer <kattygeltmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.  In this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium.  In the menu there's also a section news, podcasts, … But I can't add podcasts myself as sources I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty 

------------------

HI Joseph and Erik

Thanks for the responces and info.

Best, Katty

Van: erik burggraaf [mailto:erik@...]
Verzonden: maandag 11 april 2016 3:21

Hi Katty,

I'm not a developrer of NVDA, but based on interviews I've heard from people who are, NVDA tries to be the screen reader's screen reader.  Downloading books really doesn't have that much to do with interpreting information from the screen in speech or braille which is the strict definition of a screen reader.

As some have said, there could always be an add-on created to do this; however, by NVDA's definition, you would acquire adobe digital editions, kindle for pc, google play books, goread, kobo, or any sort of book reader you want.  Use that book reader software to acquire and read books.  Of course, I don't know how much dutch content they have, but this is really the direction the NVDA community would encourage you to go.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf

On Apr 10, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Katty Geltmeyer <kattygeltmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.  In this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium.  In the menu there's also a section news, podcasts, … But I can't add podcasts myself as sources I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty 

------------------

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

Is this in fact the program known as easyreader? This can be purchased separately and is, I think configured according to the area you live in and any legal restraints of copyright.

I've not looked at it lately though.
Strictly speaking its a client and daisy reading app.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:14 PM

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned
feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In
supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books
services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova. In
this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a
similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of
downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In
supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can
connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium. In the menu there's
also a section news, podcasts, . But I can't add podcasts myself as sources
I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to
download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I
am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

Yes, the Eazireader add on is actually a stand alone self voicing Daisy reader by Dolphin. recently a very basic client was added to allow content to be downloaded from limited sites. One of the issues with making a client like this is the ever changing front ends of many audio book libraries like the RNIB etc, so I suspect this part will be always going wrong!
In my view all those who make such sites should endeavour to have a common interface at least one that can be scripted.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 6:45 PM

Hi Katty,

People are more than welcome to create an add-on for this, as I believe NVDA
should be good at what it does: screen reading, not a one-stop tool for
everything (as a developer (not the lead), I think NVDA should be faithful
to its duties). I do understand that some may object to this, but I think it
is important to note that screen readers alone will not solve life's
problems - users must be proactive in seeking out information.

I will stress this at a conference soon.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:26 AM

Hi Joseph

Thanks for this information. I don't know if you are a developer of nvda or
an user like me. But if you are developer of nvda: will this feature be in
future versions of nvda or not?

Best, Katty

Van: Joseph Lee [mailto:@joslee]
Aan: nvda@groups.io <mailto:nvda@groups.io>

Hello Katty,

The feature you speak of isn't available in NVDA at this time.

Cheers,

Joseph

To: nvda@groups.io <mailto:nvda@groups.io>

Hi

services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova. In
supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can
connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium. In the menu there's
also a section news, podcasts, . But I can't add podcasts myself as sources
download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Hi Brian I wasn't talking about easy reader, I was talking about a built-in
functionality within supernova itself. It's not a separate programme. In
fact it's an extra to the screenreader. But I love this option, as it
restricts the hassle of downloading daisy-books:
I can download the books without the need to unzip them (they are already
unzipped in a folder that is placed in a specific folder of supernova on my
disk called "my books" the subfolders are the books I rented);
It's easy to back the rented books: I simply have to move the folder of the
book to another location (the sd-card of my daisy-player, e.g.) and the book
is back.

It's strictly not a screen reader related functionality, but I find it a
handy way to rent and download books.

Best, Katty

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Brian's Mail list account [mailto:bglists@...]
Verzonden: maandag 11 april 2016 11:03

Is this in fact the program known as easyreader? This can be purchased
separately and is, I think configured according to the area you live in and
any legal restraints of copyright.

I've not looked at it lately though.
Strictly speaking its a client and daisy reading app.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:14 PM

Hi

services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.
In
supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only
can
connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium. In the menu
there's
also a section news, podcasts, . But I can't add podcasts myself as
sources
download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why
I

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Pete <emac00@...>

I hope nvda stays purely a screen reader program! 

You may like a device like plextalk pocket or victer streem. 
  There might be an app that does this bookshelf function you are looking for. 

Pete 

On 4/10/2016 9:14 AM, Katty Geltmeyer wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

Hi Pete

I already have a plextalk pocket, and I know you can connect with internet with this device. But I don't use that functionality, as I prefer to have access to my books at any place (with or without internet). So, I read my books offline. I don't read the books from within supernova, I only use the online books for downloading them and after that I move the folders of the books to another location on my disk to back them in in the library. No hassle with unzipping, backing books to the library etc. it is just as simple as downloading a folder, moving it to the sd-card or other place on the disk for giving the books back to the library. I really understand your opinion concerning nvda and the screen reader functionality. It was simply a question, nothing more.

Best, Katty

Van: Pete [mailto:emac00@...]
Verzonden: donderdag 14 april 2016 2:29

Pete 

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------

mk360

Well, I think this is not a feature for a screen reader, but it can be inplemented as an add-on. Obviously you need a coder interested on it...

Regards,
mk.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Katty Geltmeyer <kattygeltmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi Pete

I already have a plextalk pocket, and I know you can connect with internet with this device. But I don't use that functionality, as I prefer to have access to my books at any place (with or without internet). So, I read my books offline. I don't read the books from within supernova, I only use the online books for downloading them and after that I move the folders of the books to another location on my disk to back them in in the library. No hassle with unzipping, backing books to the library etc. it is just as simple as downloading a folder, moving it to the sd-card or other place on the disk for giving the books back to the library. I really understand your opinion concerning nvda and the screen reader functionality. It was simply a question, nothing more.

Best, Katty

Van: Pete [mailto:emac00@...]
Verzonden: donderdag 14 april 2016 2:29

Pete 

Hi

I don't know if this is already possible with nvda or if this is a planned feature. But I have both nvda and Supernova installed on my machine. In supernova you have a books shelf and you can connect with online books services (like Anderslezen.be and Passendlezen.nl from within supernova.  In this way I could download my daisy-books within supernova. Is there a similar function in nvda or is it planned? The handy thing of this way of downloading daisy-books is, that there's no need for unzipping folders. In supernova the sources of online books services are limited, I e.g. only can connect with services from the Netherlands and Belgium.  In the menu there's also a section news, podcasts, … But I can't add podcasts myself as sources I want to follow. And sometimes there are problems with books I want to download that Supernova don't solve within a short time period. That's why I am wondering if nvda has similar functionalities.

Thanks for the info.

Best, Katty

------------------