supressing announcement of row and column in a web table

Gene

Layout tables appears to no longer be in the settings.  But if you have it, it has nothing to do with this problem and if you chec it, you will get verbosity you probably don’t want.  It means to announce when a layout table, used for formatting, is encountered.  This table isn’t a layout table.  It has nothing to do with formatting the page or part of it.

From: Jujube
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] supressing announcement of row and column in a web table

Hi, you could try disabling all table reading in document settings and then going into browse mode settings and turning on "include layout tables". That may or may not work I guess. Otherwise, this could just be due to the design of the tables themselves which I don't think we can get around as screen reader users. HOpe this helps.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 3:46 PM Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:
I visit a grocery store website which has its sale items laid out in a
very nice table, with columns headed things like location, brand, item,
price etc. In addition, each item in the table is, for some reason,
marked as a heading level 3. I can stop the readout of the heading
messages by temporarily shutting off the reporting of headings in the
nvda settings for elements grouping. I also turned off the reading of
column and row headings, although that didn't do anything, and I can't
find a way to stop the announcement of row and column numbers either. I
want to just get into the column that lists the items and go straight
down with control alt down arrow, and when I do that, I do not want to
hear row such and such, column such and such, as it is totally not
needed in this situation. Is there a way to do this?

Mary

Jujube

[...]

Mary Otten

Interesting about the movement commands. ;In that table I've been talking about, where each item in the grid is labeled as a heading level 3, with headings unchecked, I can not move by headings in that table, not that I want to. But On another page, those commands still work as expected. I'm not sure what might be "special" about those heading level 3s, but they are not recognized if I try moving with h to move from heading to heading. No big deal; I see no reason for them to be there in the first place.

Mary

On 10/31/2021 4:00 PM, Gene wrote:
If you mean by recognition, that using the letter t won’t work, it has nothing to do with that.  All such settings are for spoken announcements and all movement commands wwork as they did before.  For example, I can turn off if I turn off heading announcements and all movement by heading commands still work.